First NGD of 2024 but with a wrinkle... now all Smooooth!

I think I'm also going to message Beth at PRS as I don't see this finish listed under any 2023 S2 model.
Just very curious on that now.
It's definitely a 23, or at least that's what headstock shows...lol.
Time for bed to try and get some strength back, hopefully things will look better tomorrow.

There are plenty of "sprayer's choice" S2 guitars out there in all sorts of non-standard solid colors. I remember seeing stuff like purple satin and robin's egg blue among others. I always wondered if it's done to salvage guitars with ugly looking wood. 😄

They're dang cool, though. I'd totally collect custom color S2 guitars if I could.

I dig the color. If you like the guitar then ask for a partial refund due to it not being “as advertised”. Or just enjoy it if you got a good deal. Personally I don’t see what is so special about an “anniversary” S2. I have two S2 24s and they are both great guitars!

Just piling on: additional discount or core PUs and electronics.

I like the coloir, but the 10th kind of made the S2 almost core level. Electronics, birds MOP (like Sergio pointed out). Those guitars had a different pricepoint as well, so your discount is kot nearly as high as expected and the value of your purchase therefore as well.

There are plenty of "sprayer's choice" S2 guitars out there in all sorts of non-standard solid colors. I remember seeing stuff like purple satin and robin's egg blue among others. I always wondered if it's done to salvage guitars with ugly looking wood. 😄

They're dang cool, though. I'd totally collect custom color S2 guitars if I could.
That's a very likely scenario. I've seen a lot of S2s that had really substandard looking tops, with poor or asymmetrical figuring. I would much rather see really cool paint like the one we see here than really uninspiring wood grain and figure. In fact, I think the bevels lend themselves really well to highlighting some really cool paint choices. Metallics look especially good on them and catch the light in beautiful ways.

OP definitely has a unique guitar. Hopefully it was a good enough deal, even with it not being an anniversary model. I'd be trying to get a partial refund, but given Sam Ash's current financial situation, that seems unlikely. Hopefully OP can be happy with it even if it's not exactly what was expected.

It appears that Reverb does indeed have my back.
They have agreed it is not as described and they are going to "compel" ( their words) Sam Ash to issue a return shipping label and a full refund.
Now my only concern here is it gets sent back then Sam Ash refuses to refund claiming bankruptcy or something.
That is something I will ask of Reverb before I ship.
Just sad though, they could have agreed my request for a partial refund and this would have been over.

Wow, what a scam. The core pups alone are $500. If I remember correctly, the 10th anniversary was about that much more than the regular S2.

Looks like a Sweatwater exclusive color possibly.
I thought that too but here is PRS reply so...

Hi Kevin,

This guitar is finished in a Custom Color, according to factory specs.

A custom color usually occurs as a one-off or is done once-in-a-while. Because these colors are not included in our production coding system, they usually do not receive a name at the PRS Factory.

I hope this information finds you well. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars.

Now my only concern here is it gets sent back then Sam Ash refuses to refund claiming bankruptcy or something.
That is something I will ask of Reverb before I ship.
Good call. Bankruptcy changes the rules. Too bad you have to deal with that.

I'm not familiar with the 85/15's but my Core 58/15 set is a significant step up from the S2 58/15S's.

substandard looking tops, with poor or asymmetrical figuring. I would much rather see really cool paint like the one we see here than really uninspiring wood grain and figure. In fact, I think the bevels lend themselves really well to highlighting some really cool paint choices. Metallics look especially good on them and catch the light in beautiful ways.
I would like PRS to do this more in general. The beauty of the core violin carve really stands out in solid colors. I'd much prefer that then some of these tops that took the stain poorly. Heck, I'd personally much rather have solid color options for some of the wild tops too.

Sure, in the beginning I was all about the flame n grain. But honestly I'm just not that guy on a day to day basis. Give me jeans and T vs Hawaiian shirts. :)

Back