First impressions of my first PRS (PRS CE24).

The ones that match very close are usually veneers and it is much easier due to how thin the material is, and how it is made. With natural wood the grain is never consistent. In addition, when you cut the pieces to do a bookmark you remove about 1/16 of an inch between your two pieces so, with grain always changing throughout the cut, being identical is more the exception than the rule.

A veneer on the other hand is made by literally shaving the wood with a special blade to about 1/64 inch thickness. This method does not destroy a significant amount of wood like cutting does, and because there is not a destroyed layer, the grain stays consistent.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. I love my guitar.
IMHO they could have been more selective in the wood they used on a guitar of this price point, that's all. It was a surprise.
In various videos from PRS I've seen how they claim to be very selective on choosing wood for not only its sound quality but also appearance.
From what you all have posted, this is normal for a PRS CE.
Now I know.

I mean, look at this:

fdadZWQ.jpg

This was something like, $6000 new. Can you believe this got past QC?
Trash!

I love the look of that one , Like an old Les Paul very classic
I think it will grow on you over time.
Either way congrats on the new guitar

Last week I bought my first PRS (CE 24).
I love the tones and the Pattern Thin neck fits my hand perfectly. The feel, sound and play-ability of this guitar is top notch.
My only complaint is the maple to they used. It looks like I got the scraps. There is a obvious rectangular light spot on one side just under the bridge. There are random dark streaks throughout and the book matching looks off.
I always heard that PRS had top notch quality control and had a reputation for the best looking guitars. Maybe that is changing.
I bought it from Sweetwater and they do provide pictures of what you are getting but I put it off to bad lighting.
Unfortunately there was a small accident while unpacking resulting in a small ding to the back, so I cannot return it.
LOL It is nothing I cant live with though, I bought it mainly for its sound and play-ability. It just surprised me being a PRS. A $2000.00 PRS at that.
You can see the light spot in the picture. The other flaws are more apparent in person.
25.jpg

When you split a billet, you can book match the grain very nicely. After you plane and carve it, the figure will change because it’s not constant all the way through. That’s what nature does. That is a very beautiful guitar. My most uniform tops are veneer. They just plain don’t sound as good or vibrate as well. They’re still worth keeping. I much prefer real wood, and the amazing variety that nature provides us. Enjoy the guitar, I know I would.

I'm really not sure what it is you're trying to point out there?

If it's that one side of the top is lighter than the other... yeah, they all tend to do that when it's a real cap and the light hits it from different angles

Back