First Fret Is Dead

Jakash

A few months back I got a used 2018 PRS SE Zach Myers. It was in great shape and played well, but was strung with 11's. They were new and sounded great so I played them a couple of times, but this last weekend I decided I had to change them to my normal string gauge (9's).

As soon as I started trying to play the 9's I found that if I played in the first or second frets on most of the strings they were dead. Today I put on a set of 10's and most of the strings are now fine from the second fret up. But all of the strings buzz and two are still dead when fretted in first fret.

I'm guessing that either I need to go back to the 11's or replace the nut. Do I have any other options?

A few months back I got a used 2018 PRS SE Zach Myers. It was in great shape and played well, but was strung with 11's. They were new and sounded great so I played them a couple of times, but this last weekend I decided I had to change them to my normal string gauge (9's).

As soon as I started trying to play the 9's I found that if I played in the first or second frets on most of the strings they were dead. Today I put on a set of 10's and most of the strings are now fine from the second fret up. But all of the strings buzz and two are still dead when fretted in first fret.

I'm guessing that either I need to go back to the 11's or replace the nut. Do I have any other options?

Changing from 11s to 9s requires a truss rod adjustment - the lower tension of the lighter strings requires less tension from the truss rod.

You are on the right track. If the neck needs an adjustment that won't take much. If the strings are too close to the first fret, you need a new nut.

If the strings ring out open/unfretted but are choked off at the first fret it’s likely a minor left turn of the truss rod to fix this. Make adjustments in small increments (less than a 1/4 turn). All you are trying to do is put the neck in the same relief alignment as it had with the heavier strings.

If the strings ring out open/unfretted but are choked off at the first fret it’s likely a minor left turn of the truss rod to fix this. Make adjustments in small increments (less than a 1/4 turn). All you are trying to do is put the neck in the same relief alignment as it had with the heavier strings.
Seconded. Also make the adjustments with no string tension then bring up to tune for testing.

Back