Finish and QA issues

Crunch

I recently purchased an S2 Mccarty 594 thinline and noticed that the neck joint wasn't very well finished. Nice guitar overall; however, the bass side was basically missing a coat of paint, and the back joint had some glue run over that was just painted over. Ok, so I had my Sweetwater customer service rep inspect various other S2 line guitars for a replacement. There was another 594 thinline in black, and unfortunately it too had some paint issues. So, I decided to switch to a Vela. Shockingly, he could not find a Vela in inventory that did not have some sort of paint issue. Very disappointing. I have owned a few SE models in the past and never had any issues like this. Strangely I ended up replacing it with a Gibson LP Studio which has no issues (most of us know Gibson isn't known for their stellar QA - but I guess I got lucky).

It's really disappointing to see this happening with PRS, particularly with their US built guitars. I really wanted an affordable US built PRS. My thoughts are, while perhaps not being the best value pound for pound for the dollar with the S2 line (not crazy about the electronics, but easily replaceable), PRS quality standards are suppose to be among the very best.

Last edited:
mSBiM12.gif

I don’t think this means that every S2 recently made has paint issues. I do think it means that the quality control game needs to be upped. You should send an email to PRS and let them know that they shot themselves in the foot, and lost a sale.

I had an S2 594 i purchased new with a finish issue and posted here about it. Then I exchanged it for another. That's like, all that needs to be done. Deriding an entire company because of a single incident and heresay from an unknown (to us) " Sweeatwater" rep isn't a fair review.

Try Sweetwater, they have excellent service I have heard, hee hee!

Fixed that typo for you. Deriding an entire company? Hardly. I've been a PRS fan for a while now. Its just disappointing to see.

Every company, including PRS, are susceptible to QC issues....whether it's just cosmetic or its detrimental to the playability.

Your OP wasn't clear on whether you posted to simply state your disappointment, ask for advise, or see if anybody else has had the same problem, which is generally where people will start accusing you of being a "troll". Please understand, I am in no way calling you a "troll" for voicing your experience here, or even expressing your displeasure with the brand. Just stating my experience and what I have observed in how people react to posts that aren't immediately clear on the intention of the post.

Regarding PRS having QC issues...every single one of my guitars, from Wood Library to Core to SE have had soooome sort of cosmetic "issue". For me, it's no big deal....if it's not detrimental to the playability and not super, over the top glaringly obvious, it doesn't bother me. But that's just me. I can understand how it'll drive people nuts, though....after all it is your hard-earned money you're spending.

If the issue bothers you enough, I'd recommend exchanging it or returning it. But do keep in mind, the chances of receiving an absolutely "perfect" guitar are very slim and if you look over it long enough, you will find something wrong with it.

Last edited:
I took it as he was voicing his experience. True I think most people's expectations are unrealistic these days but it's their money and they can choose to be as they choose with it. Not saying OP is, more the world in general.

I too recently had an issue with my Vela ordered. They were issues that would have sent some over the edge, but I just took care of them myself. I was disappointed, yes. Was it a big deal? no. It would have been avoided if local had stock. I found one but wanted a semi hollow..
in the end I couldn't be happier with my Vela. It rocks!

Gibson is improving product quality and QC. I picked up a LP in February that reminded more of PRS than Gibson. I thought about a S2 then too but I preferred the LP and would buy it again. Good and bad guitars can be bought from anyone built anywhere. Throw in covid and it becomes even more likely to have an issue.

Last edited:
I've had around 35 PRSes since 1991, and bought my most recent one last fall. None of them have had QC issues when new. Perhaps I've just been very lucky.

I had a little bit of finish peel around the edge of the fretboard after about a year on one that PRS' PTC fixed under warranty. The fix was perfect, and turnaround time was only about two weeks - maybe this was 8 years ago.

I don't have personal experience with the S2 line other than seeing them in stores, but I didn't notice any flaws. My PRS' have been Core. WL. artist or PS, and that might have a bearing on things.

I took it as he was voicing his experience. True I think most people's expectations are unrealistic these days but it's their money and they can choose to be as they choose with it. Not saying OP is, more the world in general.

I too recently had an issue with my Vela ordered. They were issues that would have sent some over the edge, but I just took care of them myself. I was disappointed, yes. Was it a big deal? no. It would have been avoided if local had stock. I found one but wanted a semi hollow..
in the end I couldn't be happier with my Vela. It rocks!

Gibson is improving product quality and QC. I picked up a LP in February that reminded more of PRS than Gibson. I thought about a S2 then too but I preferred the LP and would buy it again. Good and bad guitars can be bought from anyone built anywhere. Throw in covid and it becomes even more likely to have an issue.

Thank you for your post, and thank you for understanding where I'm coming from. Perhaps I expect too much, but I have always held PRS in higher regard quality wise than say Fender or Gibson. However, lets face it, even the 'lower end' US guitars are not inexpensive, from any manufacturer, and there has been a drop in quality across the board. It makes me wonder if investing in US built guitars is even worth it any more considering the cost is usually 2-3x that of their Asian built versions. Certainly not singling PRS out. I bought a Fender "Professional II" strat not long ago that has a hole in the neck and fret ends so bad they could hurt you. Things that can be, yes, technically fixed by a proper luthier. Only a mere $1500 guitar. What's worse is the prices keep increasing. I don't mind paying, as long as the quality is there. One would usually expect more, I would think.

Fixed that typo for you. Deriding an entire company? Hardly. I've been a PRS fan for a while now. Its just disappointing to see.
Perhaps the wording was too strong, my apologies for that. Disappointment with a new Core guitar would tweak me pretty good too.

I don't really have anything constructive to say other than it happens. One of my PRS's has different serial number on the headstock and the paperwork. First two digits swapped places. My guitar went trough QC check on Sunday, maybe this is why? :D I actually laughed when I noticed that.

@OP - its a cool looking guitar otherwise. I would personally keep it as it looks jaw dropping but if it bugs you - just return it. You deserve to be 100% happy, man

Thank you for your post, and thank you for understanding where I'm coming from. Perhaps I expect too much, but I have always held PRS in higher regard quality wise than say Fender or Gibson. However, lets face it, even the 'lower end' US guitars are not inexpensive, from any manufacturer, and there has been a drop in quality across the board. It makes me wonder if investing in US built guitars is even worth it any more considering the cost is usually 2-3x that of their Asian built versions. Certainly not singling PRS out. I bought a Fender "Professional II" strat not long ago that has a hole in the neck and fret ends so bad they could hurt you. Things that can be, yes, technically fixed by a proper luthier. Only a mere $1500 guitar. What's worse is the prices keep increasing. I don't mind paying, as long as the quality is there. One would usually expect more, I would think.

That kinda depends on whether (and if so, why?) ‘made in the USA’ is important.

It’s massively evident on this site (and it’s not hard to find on YouTube either) that some people will buy an imported guitar then change out all the metal parts with US made items, even the truss rod cover, in the simple belief that it will make the guitar ‘better’. It’s almost as if patriotism counts for more than the actual instrument?

Thing is, you could literally replace every single item on one of those guitars and it still won’t be a core model, so why not just buy one of those if it’s that important?

Oh, and just to add that I’ve seen impeccable quality instruments come out of Mexico, China and Japan...

Back