Finally did it....and I think I am excited....

markd21

As the title says, I finally did it. I ordered an S2 Studio. I think I am excited. I literally mean "think". I say that because I have waffled on getting one since they were announced for pre-order. You know what has held me back? The fact there is a humbucker in the bridge. What I have lusted after - endlessly - is a version with three D-type pickups. I even asked the PTC if they could make that happen. Nope.

I have watched videos, read reviews, tussled internally - and today I pulled the trigger on a Frost Blue Metallic model. I am sure it will be killer, and I am just huffing and puffing about nothing, lol. Anyway, I'll post pictures and my thoughts/feelings once it is in hand. Shoot, I haven't done a YouTube video in a while....what seems more interesting:

A comparison between the S2 Studio and an S2 Standard 22?

A comparison between the S2 Studio and an '87 Ibanez 540S (also HSS, with a push/pull on the humbucker)?

Awesome mark! I am sure you will be glad you did. Yeah, the middle poistion is my favorite too, split or full bridge. Split, in the middle position, you get a little tele-esque sound. Simply a wonderful guitar that can cover a lot of tones. Killer through a Deluxe Reverb, killer through a high gain amp as well.

Mark I have the S2 Standard 22 and its incredible at any price point...think youre gonna love the studio, theyre so comfy and the pattern regular is a pleasure to play on for hours...frost blue is sweet rock that think in good health!

SOB... I've suffered over this too.
I am subscribed to your observations. I love my old HSS strat so I kind of like the possible combos here especially the middle position with the bridge and neck with split.

Killer! Thanks! Yeah, just the fact the it's HSS held me back initially. Pretty much EVERY guitar I played/gigged/owned for more than 20 years was HSS, lol. The typical "Super Strat" - from ESP to Ibanez to Jackson/Charvel. I know the PRS will have more nuance than the metal guitars I used to play, but still in my head it's an HSS, you know?

Awesome mark! I am sure you will be glad you did. Yeah, the middle poistion is my favorite too, split or full bridge. Split, in the middle position, you get a little tele-esque sound. Simply a wonderful guitar that can cover a lot of tones. Killer through a Deluxe Reverb, killer through a high gain amp as well.

Oh, I am sure I'll more than dig it. Even the Brent Mason (that I originally hated) was a slow burn, it's now one that whenever I grab it I am smiling from ear-to-ear. Ironically it's the middle position that has me the least enthused. PRS does a lot of guitars that do the bridge/neck combo, and I have them, lol. Again, I bet it sounds different enough - and killer - but, bridge/neck? Got it. Now, on my EG3 and my Brent Mason my favorite position is the middle pickup alone. I'm thinking the D-type single in the middle alone would be awesome!!

Mark I have the S2 Standard 22 and its incredible at any price point...think youre gonna love the studio, theyre so comfy and the pattern regular is a pleasure to play on for hours...frost blue is sweet rock that think in good health!

Oh, for sure!! I LOVE the S2 Standard 22. I have two of them already. Hands down it's a guitar that satisfies in everyway!!

This one I tossed a couple GFS Surf 90s in there to make my own "studio" style axe. I ended up putting the #7s back in with special wiring. The bridge pickup doesn't split, with the tone pot down the neck is split. Pull it up, and the neck is humbucker. It's my version of the Johnny Hiland wiring.

You’re gonna love it! The D types sound different from any single coils I’ve owned, The Humbucker is not terribly hot, and slightly brighter than any of the others I have. This is the first guitar I reach for for blues and r n b. Oddly it’s taken longer than any other guitar I’ve owned to break in. Luckily, I liked it from the start. The frost blue is much better looking in person. This is the one that the ladies all comment on. I bet the green is the same way. It’ll be going out the door with me in a couple of hours. Of course, the color does make it sound better"................

You’re gonna love it! The D types sound different from any single coils I’ve owned, The Humbucker is not terribly hot, and slightly brighter than any of the others I have. This is the first guitar I reach for for blues and r n b. Oddly it’s taken longer than any other guitar I’ve owned to break in. Luckily, I liked it from the start. The frost blue is much better looking in person. This is the one that the ladies all comment on. I bet the green is the same way. It’ll be going out the door with me in a couple of hours. Of course, the color does make it sound better"................

Good to know about the color!! It doesn't photograph well, I guess, because I have found it a little under-whelming, lol. I had a Vela for a little while and loved it. In fact yesterday's purchase was a toss up between grabbing another Vela or the Studio. I went with the Studio because new, unsold models are getting scarce. They are out there used - which I have no problem buying - but they seem to hold their value pretty well, so I figured I might as well grab a new one. However, one day I WILL have another Vela!!!

What do you mean by "it’s taken longer than any other guitar I’ve owned to break in."?

I read a very detailed article a couple years ago, about breaking guitars in and how they sound better with age, etc. Since then, when I get a new guitar, I leave it on a stand in front of my Mesa 2x12 vertical recto cab while playing another guitar loudly through that cab. I took my new Taylor GS Mini when I bought it and had it sit there for a couple months. Did the same with electrics.

Anyone else ever try this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read a very detailed article a couple years ago, about breaking guitars in and how they sound better with age, etc. Since then, when I get guitar, I leave it on a stand in front of my Mesa 2x12 vertical recto cab while playing another guitar loudly through that cab. I took my new Taylor GS Mini when I bought it and had it sit there for a couple months. Did the same with electrics.

I just call up the ex, then I put the phone next to my guitar.

I read a very detailed article a couple years ago, about breaking guitars in and how they sound better with age, etc. Since then, when I get a new guitar, I leave it on a stand in front of my Mesa 2x12 vertical recto cab while playing another guitar loudly through that cab. I took my new Taylor GS Mini when I bought it and had it sit there for a couple months. Did the same with electrics.

I've never thought of doing this, sounds like a great idea.

The first time I saw this method was when Chet Atkins was talking about doing it, but that was well before my "guitar" time.

I couldn’t wait 2 minutes!

If the wood is already properly dried, like US made PRS, not much point in doing this. I can see where it might be beneficial for foreign made guitars, or “other” brands.;)

Back