Finally did it....and I think I am excited....

It is "mainly" beneficial for acoustic guitars. And I didn't just leave it sitting for months before I played it. I played it, then when I was ready to go to electric, put it on the stand in front of the speakers.

It is "mainly" beneficial for acoustic guitars. And I didn't just leave it sitting for months before I played it. I played it, then when I was ready to go to electric, put it on the stand in front of the speakers.

The reason I personally dislike this, is that the luthier spends a lot of time hand carving the brace tuning it for each specific top trying to allow the top to do its own thing. To bombard it with frequencies that aren’t what the woods in the guitar want to ring is counterproductive, in my personal opinion. I think the way to break in any instrument I to play it as much as you can. Yes I believe, especially with acoustic guitar, that not even Paul will make a guitar sound as good as a Pre-War Martin. But it’s becausr the vintage instrument has been played a ton. Paul make electric guitars that feel very played in. But even he can’t get it 100% of an actual played in instrument. For instance, in a played in rosewood fretboard, there is an visible shine, almost a gloss, while new ones are matte. My opinion is, you only get these things by actually playing the guitar. The guitar vibrates when you play it, even just acoustically. There is also the contact between hands, body and guitar. The body heat, hand oils, and many other small intricacies when playing helps a guitar mature to its full potential. Sound is just one piece of the equation.

I just call up the ex, then I put the phone next to my guitar.
At least there’s an off button on my amp. o_O

My vote is in favor of the multi-Vela club! Maybe it’s the balance? Maybe it’s the semihollow character in mine? But these S2s are really something else. Put different pickups in them for variety. That neck pickup cavity is routed for a humbucker, so you can get creative.

The Studio arrived today. It looks great, plays great and sounds interesting. The bridge pickup, at factory height - through the EF86 channel of my Bad Cat Cub IV - sounds A LOT like a Gretsch Pro Jet that I had. It "kerrangs" nicely, and with the "fat boost" engaged, it sustain nicely. The D-type pickups will need to be tweaked. The drop in output is too great when working through the switch.

Also, as I figured, I am not too keen on the middle position tones. My Vela also arrived today, and the bridge/neck combo on the Vela (to my tastes) eclipses what the Studio sounds like with the bridge/neck combo. I'll see what happens once I have some time to mess with the pickup heights.

The color is GORGEOUS. I had an Ice Blue Mist S2 Singlecut Standard that was a little more blue. I really liked the color of that one. The Frost Blue is WAY more subtle. It's blue, for sure, but it's kind of silver, too. It's pale, but vivid at the same time. It's a VERY unique color.

I MUCH prefer the new S2 trem arm with the black tip. My other S2 trem bars are just metal, and feel strange in the hand.

In all, I think it'll be a guitar I enjoy even though it hasn't knocked my socks off (yet, lol...might be a slow burner!). I'll do a NGD post after I get some pictures. My wife was vlogging at Universal Studios today with the camera, so it wasn't available. Hopefully tomorrow night....

The Studio arrived today. It looks great, plays great and sounds interesting. The bridge pickup, at factory height - through the EF86 channel of my Bad Cat Cub IV - sounds A LOT like a Gretsch Pro Jet that I had. It "kerrangs" nicely, and with the "fat boost" engaged, it sustain nicely. The D-type pickups will need to be tweaked. The drop in output is too great when working through the switch.

Also, as I figured, I am not too keen on the middle position tones. My Vela also arrived today, and the bridge/neck combo on the Vela (to my tastes) eclipses what the Studio sounds like with the bridge/neck combo. I'll see what happens once I have some time to mess with the pickup heights.

The color is GORGEOUS. I had an Ice Blue Mist S2 Singlecut Standard that was a little more blue. I really liked the color of that one. The Frost Blue is WAY more subtle. It's blue, for sure, but it's kind of silver, too. It's pale, but vivid at the same time. It's a VERY unique color.

I MUCH prefer the new S2 trem arm with the black tip. My other S2 trem bars are just metal, and feel strange in the hand.

In all, I think it'll be a guitar I enjoy even though it hasn't knocked my socks off (yet, lol...might be a slow burner!). I'll do a NGD post after I get some pictures. My wife was vlogging at Universal Studios today with the camera, so it wasn't available. Hopefully tomorrow night....
Thanks for the initial review on the Studio.
I'm wondering if yours came wired strangely as a couple of others have?

Thanks for the initial review on the Studio.
I'm wondering if yours came wired strangely as a couple of others have?

Right on! You were right about the color.

Some have come wired weird? Hmm, I'll have to check that out. It doesn't sound BAD, just not as good as the Vela in the middle position. When you are using yours, how clean are you playing? I am wondering if I set this up for a really clean sound if the tones would be "better". I am using my amp right at the edge of break-up. Most of the videos I watched were more focused on clean sounds and country-ish playing. I am doing a lot of Southern Rock these days - countrified licks but with a girthier tone. The bridge pickup is there. I know I can get the neck pickup there - quickly. I just gotta look at the middle position.

Right on! You were right about the color.

Some have come wired weird? Hmm, I'll have to check that out. It doesn't sound BAD, just not as good as the Vela in the middle position. When you are using yours, how clean are you playing? I am wondering if I set this up for a really clean sound if the tones would be "better". I am using my amp right at the edge of break-up. Most of the videos I watched were more focused on clean sounds and country-ish playing. I am doing a lot of Southern Rock these days - countrified licks but with a girthier tone. The bridge pickup is there. I know I can get the neck pickup there - quickly. I just gotta look at the middle position.
To be clear Mark, I do not own one (yet). But I could swear that I saw two posters who received units that required extremely minor wiring change, easily done in a couple minutes.
Of course, I cannot remember who...:oops:

To be clear Mark, I do not own one (yet). But I could swear that I saw two posters who received units that required extremely minor wiring change, easily done in a couple minutes.
Of course, I cannot remember who...:oops:

I was one, and member pinstripeninjas was another. And yes, easily corrected by moving a couple of wires. Member CSurieux's wiring was different, but functionally correct.

We noticed that the push-pull pot, to split the bridge pup, had an effect in switch pup positions 4 and 5, which it shouldn't have, position 4 being all three pups at once, also making position 3 and 5 sound the same.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/thoughts-on-sound-of-s2-studio.36184/

Ooops, IOI beat me to it.

We noticed that the push-pull pot, to split the bridge pup, had an effect in switch pup positions 4 and 5, which it shouldn't have, position 4 being all three pups at once, also making position 3 and 5 sound the same.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/thoughts-on-sound-of-s2-studio.36184/

Ooops, IOI beat me to it.

I played mine for a few minutes before work this morning. I think this may be the issue. I was messing with the cool tap while in the sing-sing position on the switch. It affected the sound. I'll pull it apart and check the wiring.

Some business makes a product that does what you suggest for acoustic guitars that will 'open up' the tone quality of the wood. Although I don't quite remember the name of the product, I think it was something you'd insert in the sound hole and plug into the wall...the product would send vibrations through the wood and somehow "age" the acoustic several decades if done over a period of thirty days, IIRC...

Were you playing country? I do think the Vela is a better guitar for that. I use my Studio for blues, funk, and rhythm and blues.

Were you playing country? I do think the Vela is a better guitar for that. I use my Studio for blues, funk, and rhythm and blues.
My CU24 has been used in bands covering The Ventures, Johnny Cash, Elvis, and Waylon Jennings, as well as Boston, Zeppelin, 38 Special, Weezer, and Ozzie. The point is, you can make any guitar work in almost any genre if you give it a chance. ;)

However, and more to your point, I did swap the Starla pup for a Duncan Antiquity humbucker. It’s sublime.

Back