Exclusive PRS Players?

Shaw

Facts are stubborn; statistics are pliable.
Hey,

Anyone here play PRS exclusively? And if so, the real question is: do you miss the tones of your prior guitars?

I just ordered my first PRS -- so I will have a NGD soon, and in the process of playing models and selecting what I wanted, I was just damned impressed with the PRS Core guitars. So much so that I'm thinking of going all PRS -- I've done the same thing with synths. DSI, no regrets there.

I do occasionally make a guitar. I have a telecaster clone and stratocaster clone that are awesome; I'd never sell them. So there is that.

Anyway, does anyone else play just PRS guitars? And do you have any regrets.

Thanks in advance!

Shaw

I own 7 PRS. I find them the best built/quality, playable and sounding guitars when compared to Gibson, Fender, etc. Though I do have a few small builder guitars that I enjoy and would not stop playing or sell. I can say, that after buying my first PRS, I've not thought about buying any other "big company" guitar. I also believe PRS is at the top of their game at the moment and only seem to be getting better. I have no regrets selling anything other than an original Klien electric I had built in 1996.

Big fan of PRS but I need my Fender guitars. It's a feel thing more than the sound.

I can say, that after buying my first PRS, I've not thought about buying any other "big company" guitar. I also believe PRS is at the top of their game at the moment and only seem to be getting better. I have no regrets selling anything other than an original Klien electric I had built in 1996.
Glad to see someone else shared that sentiment.

Big fan of PRS but I need my Fender guitars. It's a feel thing more than the sound.
I get the the "feel" factor. Hence happy to have the Tele and Strat I made (warmth body/neck, Seymour Duncans, better set-up and playing than any Ibanez / Carvin / Fender that I own).
Feel aside, I think the 513 covers a lot of Strat / Tele territory, and covers it well... Don't you think?

Thanks for the replies Gents!

This is a pic of when my first PRS came to my house I think about 2005

I am currently at 9 PRSi and one Fender Strat I would most likely be all PRS but I can NEVER sell my custom painted Strat
I just traded my Lester for a Starla and my SCT for a CU22 Soapbar ( Thanks Howard )
Sometimes I miss my Flying V, I think just because it looked cool but sound wise PRS just does it for me I look and play others but I can get it all with what I have.

This is a pic of when my first PRS came to my house I think about 2005... I am currently at 9 PRSi and one Fender Strat....

That looks about like the transition I'm likely to go through.

I do.
Only got three of em but for me that's more than enough.
My 305 covers the single coil-sound, the CU22 Artist pack is problably my most versatile and my over all best playing and sounding PRS ever. This is my go to guitar -everything from cleans to high gain.
My Tremonti gets to represent a "classic" single cut. It's a bit more scooped so when i want that this is my wepon of choise.
I use 11-49's on all of the but they all got different necks so they inspires, sounds, bridges (not Jeff) and plays different.
I don't miss my other guitars. I like PRS and I'm out for that middy PRS sound and great playability but in different types of "shapes". Now, if i where to find a better sounding, playing guitar made by someone else i would get that one.

Last edited:
Well there's nothing saying you HAVE to be all in. I pretty much am. My acoustic is my only non PRS guitar. I also have a Fender bass, but since I'm not a real bass player- I don't really need 2 and I just got a PRS SE Kingfisher that I really like. All my electrics are PRS though. My main amp rig is as well. I have no regrets other than I can't buy more right now. When I'm able to afford the PRS acoustic I want, that will likely be done too. Not gonna say I'll never buy anything else, but I don't want to play any other brands.

I've got a couple of Ibanezs which I don't play, plus a Cole Clark acoustic which like a lot, and would take a core PRS acoustic to knock this one out of rotation.

I recently went on a "I must own a Strat" mission, and wanted "that" tone. The closest I came was an American Standard with the Custom Shop Fat 50s in it. A few things turned me off:

1. One of the guitars had zero relief, and I mean zero. It buzzed nearly everywhere. Yes I know this can be down to the shop, but you can guarantee a PRS wouldn't be like that unless it was messed with, due to having more stable woods;
2. None of the necks are quartersawn, except on some Custom Shop (and higher) models;
3. One of the CS models I played had the dreaded "ping" when tuning. Fail;
4. A friend pointed out the 5-way switch is in a terrible position, mainly due to the output jack taking up valuable real estate;
5. Pretty much all the Masterbuilts are reliced, it's just not something I would pay someone to do (my opinion, and there's plenty of threads on the topic).

I decided to get a guitar built by a local luthier instead, I can't justify a PS right now with the AUD vs USD, so this will tide me over until that is better...

I'm still learning about "feel" and tone and neck shape and scale length and tonewoods, and I'm afraid I would miss the 25.5 inch scale length of my Parkers too much to completely switch over...

That said, Parker have closed up shop (temporarily? permanently?), so I definitely would not go exclusively Parker at this point in time, so if I went exclusively anything, I'd probably sell all my guitars and get a Holcomb and make a couple private stocks in 25.5"...

In the spirit of brevity:

1.) Nope
2.) nope, because, well, see #1.

I was into guitars before PRS was selling production guitars. And there's no way I'm parting with sentimental guitars for the sake of fanaticism. Without others for comparison, PRSi are just 'good'. Everyone needs perspective. However, if I were to have only one guitar, it would be a PRS, like PSoM April.

Well there's nothing saying you HAVE to be all in. I pretty much am. My acoustic is my only non PRS guitar. I also have a Fender bass, but since I'm not a real bass player- I don't really need 2 and I just got a PRS SE Kingfisher that I really like. All my electrics are PRS though. My main amp rig is as well. I have no regrets other than I can't buy more right now. When I'm able to afford the PRS acoustic I want, that will likely be done too. Not gonna say I'll never buy anything else, but I don't want to play any other brands.
Yeah, I wasn't counting basses and acoustics. Those are different beasts. Not saying PRS' basses and acoustics aren't quality, I'm certain they are, but they are just different.

I've got a couple of Ibanezs which I don't play, plus a Cole Clark acoustic which like a lot, and would take a core PRS acoustic to knock this one out of rotation.

I recently went on a "I must own a Strat" mission, and wanted "that" tone. The closest I came was an American Standard with the Custom Shop Fat 50s in it. A few things turned me off...
I hear you. I prefer my custom made Tele and Strat over any Fender I've picked up. I think that has more to do with my luthier than anything -- Gary Gilbert in Nashville. Does amazing work. Look him up.

I ordered a PRS Prism. If I were to get rid of my Ibanezes and Carvins, I'd replace them with the PRS 513 and Custom 24 Floyd... Though I wish you could get Paul's Guitar with a Floyd installed (or the Custom 24 Floyd with the 408 pickups) -- anyone know if that is possible?

Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies.

I would consider myself exclusive right now. My Les Paul hangs on a wall next to my cu24 and tremonti but doesn't get played at all. In fact it will come off the wall once I get my third PRS! My only regret is that I would of picked up a P24 instead of a custom 24 but that's a hindsight thought, as I wasn't playing acoustic on Sundays then as I am now.

Though I wish you could get Paul's Guitar with a Floyd installed (or the Custom 24 Floyd with the 408 pickups) -- anyone know if that is possible?

Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies.

Substitutions to core line models are limited. The options for each model are on the webpage.

The only way to get really custom builds like having 408 pups in a FR24 would be to go the Private Stock route.

Floyd Rose bridges and PRS specialty pickups like 408, narrow fields, 305, 513, soap bars require different cavity routing than standard trem bridges and humbuckers. They just don't make those substitutions on core models one at a time. They do make special runs with very different offerings now and then, though.

Electrics? 6 PRSI (down from a high of 17), 2 Lesters, 5 Teles, 6 Strats, 2 Thorns, 3 Gretsches, 1 Rickenbacker and a P-Bass Special...

Then, there are the acoustics... 1 Martin, 1 PRS Tonare, 1 Takoma and a Baby Taylor...

Plus, a Kentucky Mandolin and a 6 string banjo...

I have 6 electric guitars 4 of which ars PRS stable. McCarty W/L, Cust 24 my( fave all rounder) SE Bernie Marsden, SE Soapbar
and a Les Paul and a Strat. This thread has just reminded me my L/P and F are upstairs fast asleep.
Sweet Dreams for now.!!!

Substitutions to core line models are limited. The options for each model are on the webpage.

The only way to get really custom builds like having 408 pups in a FR24 would be to go the Private Stock route.

Floyd Rose bridges and PRS specialty pickups like 408, narrow fields, 305, 513, soap bars require different cavity routing than standard trem bridges and humbuckers. They just don't make those substitutions on core models one at a time. They do make special runs with very different offerings now and then, though.
Ruger,

That's what I thought... I suppose another option would be to replace Custom 24 Floyd pickups with something else. Those \m/ pickups look like a pretty standard size.

Again, many thanks!

Ruger,

That's what I thought... I suppose another option would be to replace Custom 24 Floyd pickups with something else. Those \m/ pickups look like a pretty standard size.

Again, many thanks!
The PTC page (http://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/) lists Floyd Rose install as one of their services. Contact them and I'm sure they can point you to the best model to start with to get what you want. It will be expensive but cheaper than a PS.

Back