Everyone ok at the Factory?

Yeah, Baltimore and PRS are about an hour apart. Entirely different part of MD.

The bridge collapse is pretty freaky. Very tragic for the workers who were on it, to be sure.

And traffic moving around the city is sure to be a nightmare for a good while.
I’m about an hour from that bridge. I’ve probably only been on it twice. We just don’t normally go that way.

Thankful an early mayday call from the ship allowed time for traffic to be shut down. Can’t imagine the carnage if that bridge had been carrying the normal traffic load. Just hard to watch it go down like that.
I keep wondering how they got the whole thing on video…

As they say, DON'T RUSH ART! And that's exactly what happened here. We are enduring the sins of our fathers :(

Thankful an early mayday call from the ship allowed time for traffic to be shut down. Can’t imagine the carnage if that bridge had been carrying the normal traffic load. Just hard to watch it go down like that.
Yeah, I'm thinking that in narrow areas like that they should have tugs with them just to get them past bridges and other sensitive areas if the power goes out. But then I don't know the physics of a ship that large losing power and how many tugs it would take at 9mph.

Yeah, I'm thinking that in narrow areas like that they should have tugs with them just to get them past bridges and other sensitive areas if the power goes out. But then I don't know the physics of a ship that large losing power and how many tugs it would take at 9mph.
It’s often something like this that makes the ports draft such requirements, and the cost of service viewed as “worth it” by companies. The loss of life trumps all, but the cost in dollars will be staggering.

The first thing I noticed when I saw the video is that there were no bridge column protections in the water. We have them where I live. They would take the impact from the ship and protect the column from getting hit. I saw a news video talking about this very thing this morning. They had a bridge designer on the show and he said that type of bridge should have stayed suspended even though the pillar was struck. That is how that type of bridge is designed. You can bet there will be an investigation into why there were no column protections and why it dropped.

The first thing I noticed when I saw the video is that there were no bridge column protections in the water. We have them where I live. They would take the impact from the ship and protect the column from getting hit. I saw a news video talking about this very thing this morning. They had a bridge designer on the show and he said that type of bridge should have stayed suspended even though the pillar was struck. That is how that type of bridge is designed. You can bet there will be an investigation into why there were no column protections and why it dropped.

I saw one report that said bumpers for the pillars were suggested some years ago, but they were rejected due to the cost. Not sure how accurate that is - it was in the early phase of the coverage, when it's all about being first not accurate.

I saw one report that said bumpers for the pillars were suggested some years ago, but they were rejected due to the cost. Not sure how accurate that is - it was in the early phase of the coverage, when it's all about being first not accurate.
They showed a bridge in Tampa that had the bumpers installed after a bridge there collapsed in 1980

I’m not sure there is a bumper that could stop something that big.

I’m not sure there is a bumper that could stop something that big.
From what I saw the ship was going 9 mph. If it didn't stop it, it would have slowed it down enough that it probably wouldn't have taken the bridge down. That would have allowed them to repair it for much less than rebuilding the whole thing. Those huge concrete stops are going to stop more than you may think.

Back