Engraving a PRS SE Backplate

metalbob666

Any PRS owners have experience with engraving a backplate? Or replacing one with a custom engraved backplate? As a guitar player, I've been given the task of sourcing a guitar for our retiring boss who wants to spend more time playing as a hobby. We're looking at a PRS SE Standard 24. As an owner of an SE 245 for the last year or so, my immediate recommendation was a PRS SE. Some have suggested having it painted with some company slogans or comments, but I thought it would be best to try something else less cosmetically damaging to the guitar. I thought engraving one of the backplates would be perfect. Kind of like the back of a watch. The user always knows its there, but doesn't really impact the overall look of the guitar. I looked into truss rod covers, but it's not big enough to fit very much text. I've found one person online who might be able to do it, but wanted to see if there were any other options out there.

Thanks!

Bob

If you can have a custom back plate made out of 3 ply plastic, the engraving will look sharp. But, imho it won't stand out on a stock back plate as they are single ply. Although, you could have the engraved part filled with a complimentary color paint, too.

If you can have a custom back plate made out of 3 ply plastic, the engraving will look sharp. But, imho it won't stand out on a stock back plate as they are single ply. Although, you could have the engraved part filled with a complimentary color paint, too.

I understand that the original plate is only one ply, so letters would not stand out. Would expect to replace with an aftermarket plate. Do you know of a place where this can be done or just an overall suggestion?

I understand that the original plate is only one ply, so letters would not stand out. Would expect to replace with an aftermarket plate. Do you know of a place where this can be done or just an overall suggestion?
A Trophy Shop maybe? Just guessing at this point. I used to do that stuff in the Navy and another employer, and had the machines at my disposal.

A Trophy Shop maybe? Just guessing at this point. I used to do that stuff in the Navy and another employer, and had the machines at my disposal.

A local cobbler who also engraves trophies has engraved the truss rod covers on my Gibson’s... The words are visible but are not garish... As long as you don’t want ‘war and peace’ engraved I think could suit well

Back