Electric Bridges - What's Your Ratio??

Tim

Are 2 heads better than 1
I was just shooting the breeze with Hans about his “Baltimore Raven” and debating if I NEEDED a PRS with Floyd. I have been on the verge of doing it for a few years and never pulled the trigger… but it is now getting to the top of the list!!

Anyway, we got talking about bridges and I thought I kept a pretty good balance of Trem Vs Hard Tail… but turns out I was wrong… I am over tremmed!! And my ratio of Floyds is higher than I thought. I had never really kept track of this till now..... So I thought it would be good for everyone to have a think about their ratio…. Acoustics don’t count!!!

Here is mine... What's yours???

All Electric Bridges:

Hard tail/fixed bridge = 31%
Standard Trem = 41%
Floyd types = 25%
Other = 3%

Just PRS… last weeks order made me 50/50, I have never really tracked it before...
Hard = 50%
Trem = 50%

P.S. I know that the %ages are not a ratio ;-)……. just easier that way :)

I'm terrible at Math. I needed special attention from a teacher like this!

[video]http://video.foxnews.com/v/2134653888001/students-come-to-defense-of-teachers-racy-tweets/?intcmp=obnetwork[/video]

73% fixed
18% standard trem
9% "synchro" sans bar--i.e. "the floating fixed!" (I hate that damn thing!)

For PRS guitars it's 100% standard trem, and I plan on keeping it that way. I wonder if I can get John to make me a trem for my flamenco guitar?

For PRS guitars
75% trem
25% hardtail

In order to play the heavier strings like 11ga, I need a trem, something with a little 'give'. Bends are much easier and the tuning stability, with the heavier strings, get's close to what a fixed bridge does for me.
I am staying with the trem for the next couple of builds. But I do like that two piece bridge, so in the long run I would expect to maintain the 3:1 ratio of trem to hardtail...

Currently I'm running with these percentages:
37.5% Floyds
62.5% Fixed

PRS Only
100% Adjustable Stop Tail

If I could justify selling my Floyds, I'd replace them with more fixed bridges, but the guitars are too nice so I have to hope my kids pick up the guitar so I can gift them and then replace them :p.

Piccies???

I'll try to upload some this evening. They are all Jackson soloists, not quite as attractive as most PRS, but the craftsman ship is really good and the setups are outstanding. :)

I usually stay about 50/50 but at the moment I'm 20% Floyd, 20% Trem, 60% hardtail. For PRSi, I've had plenty of both and some good ones of each type so I can't really say I have a preference. Switching between the 2 has never bothered me.

Anyone tried the Bladerunner tremolo?

I had one that had been fitted to a McNaught Strat. Cool concept but I never got used to the feel of it. The tension was much stiffer than a knife edge type of trem.

I'm 4:3 fixed to trem, but two of the trems are blocked, so my effective fixed to trem ratio = 6:1

I really don't use the trem anymore, but I have a Strat with a Hipshot on it in case I get the urge. A part of me wants an SE Torero though...

Back