Edit: 594 NGD has arrived. Awesome unexpected color

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by pauloqs, Mar 7, 2019.

1. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

I'll share more pictures once it arrives later next week. Maybe a week from this weekend. Part of me suspects seller took pictures in a lighting that makes the blue pop out more than usual. A lot of slate blue guitar pics I've seen have a grayish and sometimes even teal-ish look to them. The other part me is just hopeful the lighting chosen by seller was just so they could do a bit more justice to the guitar.

dogrocketp, Shaw and shimmilou like this.
  2. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The neck took a few minutes of adjustments, but I’m liking it so far. The “satin” on the neck is just phenomenal. The color was not what I was expecting. I can replicate sellers colors by adding filters. However, it was a nice surprise as I’m really digging the slate blue.

ooglybong, dogrocketp, Tramp and 7 others like this.
  3. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Awesome guitar, like the color! Congrats

pauloqs likes this.
  4. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

Thank you. Honestly, I prefer the color on the pictures of the seller's post. They just must have had a tone of added filter to make the blue pop up a bit more. The seller took some pictures after I closed the deal that made the guitar look more gray, which I attributed to the lighting, since seller most likely took pictures when it already started to get dark. What made me suspect further that the seller's original Reverb post pictures didn't reflect well what you saw of the guitar in person was that when I message the seller asking them about it, they simply ignored me. We were having very good communication prior to that. With all that said, I do love the color on my new guitar.

ooglybong and dogrocketp like this.
  5. Shaw

Shaw Facts are stubborn; statistics are pliable.

Gorgeous Guitar!

pauloqs likes this.
  6. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

[​IMG]

The texture on this neck just begs to be played. I’m glad I decided to “work” from home so I could receive this guitar.

7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Love it! Congrats! Enjoy that neck! Love that feeling!

pauloqs and Alnus Rubra like this.
  8. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

Beautiful! Nice pickup -satin neck is a treat.

pauloqs likes this.
  9. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

I said,"hot you know what" about that guitar, gorgeous!!!!

pauloqs likes this.
  10. Solteroblues

Solteroblues New Member

that's beautiful, but your pics I would say are what I'd have expected... The seller's photos looked more like Whale Blue. I went down the same road, as you see the pic in my avatar (not of my actual guitar, but nearly identical) is of an Artist V in Blue Crab Blue as advertised by a seller, which is what I wanted, but what I got is almost grey/green. But I'm happy because its a phenomenal guitar.

11. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Beautiful!

pauloqs likes this.
  12. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

Yeah to be fair they did list it Slate Blue and thought strange because, like yourself, I thought the seller’s photo looked more like Whale Blue. I also empathize with the seller as I know of so many unreasonable customer stories that I think some sellers become a bit defensive when you ask any clarification after the deal is done. It’s all good, I love the guitar. Still getting used to the thicker neck, but the more I play it the more I bond with it. Also, as a nice bonus, they underestimated the weight. My scale that normally agrees with Sweetwater shows the guitar at 7lbs 6.6oz.

ooglybong and dogrocketp like this.
  13. beckstriad

beckstriad New Member

Awesome.

pauloqs likes this.
  14. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

Hot. Love that neck! Congrats!

pauloqs likes this.
  15. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Gorgeous! Somehow I missed this post earlier. Love it,

pauloqs likes this.
  16. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

My eyeballs thank you! It looks much better in those pics, the seller's were like optical scrambled eggs.

I never get too hung up on the name of the color, there's so much variation within each that I think they just pick whatever color they think it most resembles. When it doesn't quite resemble any of them, that's when they make up a new name.

My 594 was listed as Jade green, but I've seen PRS use both Jade and Emerald for the exact same color. My only thought was "now that's a proper green". I'm usually a fan of more natural colors when it comes to fancy wood, but that green was just stunning.

I like that maple neck, I think it contrasts really well with the blue and natural mahogany :)

pauloqs likes this.
  17. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

@Guitpicky, you know, I wonder if this guitar was initially intended to be an Artist Package. It’s not the top that makes me worded that, but the neck. It’s very figured, but there is a darkening of the wood towards the heel joint and another close to the headstock. At first I though it was dirty, but after closer inspection it looks like it’s a part of the character of the timber used for the neck. I wonder if that “downgraded” the guitar from an AP to a 10-top. Regardless of the production story on this guitar, the more I play this guitar the more I bond with it. The neck felt too chunky at first, but the more I play it the more comfortable I feel with it.

dogrocketp likes this.
  18. WA Paul

Is this from a Wood Library run? That would explain higher grade woods for a 10top. Looks terrific no matter what the rating is. How are you liking the tones and the neck carve?

pauloqs likes this.
  19. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

I have no idea. Is there a way to find out?

The tones are just amazing. The texture on the neck is just ridiculously pleasant. The fretboard edges are rolled more than on my McCarty, but I think that’s due to the “satin” neck finish of the 594. I’m still getting used to the carve. I know it’s technically only 0.5/32” difference in depth relative to my McCarty, but it initially it felt substantially chunckyer than a Pattern carve. I’m getting used to it the more I play it, though. I think I’ll enjoy it more and appreciate it more once I’ve fully adapted to the Pattern Vintage carve.

WA Paul likes this.
  20. WA Paul

If the seller included the hang tag, it would say WL on it. Also, taking off one of the pickups (neck?) to look at the modcat should show one starting with WL as well.

Small dimension differences on the neck carves can feel very different, at least in my experience. Took me a bit to get used to PV but it quickly became my favorite neck carve. Pattern Regular is the smallest shape I can handle now. I recently tried Pattern Thin which is only slightly thinner than PR but it felt way too small and my hand cramped up. The numbers don’t always tell the story.

ooglybong likes this.