Eddie Van Halen.....R.I.P.

The first Van Halen album blew me into the weeds, and considering that and 2112 were my first exposure to serious rock guitar, I didn't even dare pick the instrument up until Back in Black came out and I could actually perceive that human beings were playing individual notes...

The first VH album still blows me away. Nothing had sounded like that before, and even now I marvel at Eddie's rhythm playing. The solos and lead technique have been repeated ad nauseum, but nobody played rhythm like Eddie.

I think I've found better before, but here's some resurrected footage that captures the Punks from Pasadena at their earliest, most primal, and possibly most dazzling. Can you imagine being in this audience (waiting for Black Sabbath I think)? The bit at 13:30 is pretty good, especially since it was brand new and fresh, and hadn't started calcifying yet. Also the pure energy and athleticism has to be admired.

Also, I'm hating Youtube because it doesn't want to let me post the start of this video...

Last edited:
I can still remember spring 1978 (I was 10 years old)...
We were all into KISS at the time, and my friend's older brother came home with a new record. Van Halen 1.
Crazy, because I can remember it like it was yesterday... We sat and listened to the whole album, and I loved it right away.

Eddie Van Halen was probably the most influential musician in my life... I'm very sad to see him gone.

RIP Eddie. You were the best.

And thank-you Herr Squid for posting the video above... just watched the whole thing and it damn near brought tears to my eyes.
That night they were opening for Black Sabbath... but you could already tell they were destined for super-stardom.

Last edited:
So sad and devastated since seeing Wolfgang's post announcing his father's passing last night. Eddie innovated and changed guitar playing. A true legend. I doubt the guitar will see another of his kind. Love him or like him (because not a single soul could possibly hate him), Eddie has influenced us all one way or another. May your soul now find peace Edward Van Halen. It was long and tiring battle.

Agreed, sad news. I’ve been a Wolfgang player/collector for a long time and a late ‘90s Standard in a tobacco burst was my first really nice guitar; obviously I play and collect PRS guitars now!

At least on a positive note, we can all put together some amazing playlists and crank it loud.

When the first VH album hit, I "thought" I was a hotshot. (I was 17 and had been playing for about 2 years). At the time, a new album by any of my favorite bands would come out and within a week I could play every song, note for note, solos and all. When VH1 came out, I was shocked. His rhythm playing is WAY more difficult than many seem to realize because it's just so vibe heavy. Much of his rhythm playing is harder to do than other players leads.

All that said, by the end of one week I had every song down, but one. You know the one. I tried and tried and could not play Eruption. I was fast, and could pick fast, but just could not figure out how he was playing some of those runs. 2 months in, I had all but given up on the song. I could play most of it, but just couldn't figure out the rest. Then I got really lucky and saw him on TV. As soon as I saw him tapping I was like "So THAT'S how he does it!" It took a few days, but I didn't stop til I had it down. I had a fixed bridge guitar, so no divebombs, but I'd do all those with slides instead. Honestly, my proudest moment ever on guitar was when I played that the first time for my dad. He didn't like the hard rock stuff I was playing but was very impressed. He even asked me to play it for some other adult friends of ours. "Show them that thing you played for me the other day." LOL

There is no question that he pushed me to be a much better guitar player. I used to have friends ask me to play guitar for them and if I really wanted to show off, the first thing you do is play a few Van Halen songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
His rhythm playing is WAY more difficult than many seem to realize because it's just so vibe heavy. Much of his rhythm playing is harder to do than other players leads.

This right here. Everyone always mentions his solos, and rightfully so, but Ed's rhythm playing is simply phenomenal. I saw someone mention that his rhythm playing "swings," and that is a great description.

I was shocked to hear the news.

I was always a HUGE VH fan and have spent HOURS listening to the CDs panned just to listen to the guitar work.

I bought a 5150 half stack new in 1994. Still have the head, never could fall in love with the shefield loaded cabs.

So sad.

I was on Wikipedia looking for a particular Van Halen tidbit, and as I scrolled down, it jumped off the screen like a rattlesnake....

Current Members:

Alex Van Halen
David Lee Roth
Wolfgang Van Halen

Past Members:

Eddie Van Halen...

Stared at it for quite awhile. Take a look, it just doesn't fit.

I was on Wikipedia looking for a particular Van Halen tidbit, and as I scrolled down, it jumped off the screen like a rattlesnake....

Current Members:

Alex Van Halen
David Lee Roth
Wolfgang Van Halen

Past Members:

Eddie Van Halen...

That's indeed so wrong...

At times I think "why can't a rock band carry on as members get replaced like with any other business?"

And then I come to a band like Van Halen and recognize that some people are just irreplaceable.

When they made the thing what it is, when they're gone it's done.

Still love this so much!!

Current Members:

Alex Van Halen
David Lee Roth
Wolfgang Van Halen

Past Members:

Eddie Van Halen...

I saw that too. This isn’t DLR gone this time. There is no Van Halen without Eddie, and it is my sincere hope that his family agrees. Considering how they’ve protected the decency of his passing, I have to think that they will do just that.

Back