Eddie Van Halen.....R.I.P.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bodia, Oct 6, 2020.

1. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

Bummer to hear. Can't argue the innovation and influence he brought to music.

DISTORT6 likes this.
  2. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

Terrible news. I wish the best for his friends, family, and fans. EVH RIP!

DISTORT6, DreamTheaterRules and bodia like this.
  3. Jazzedout

Jazzedout More Guitars than Time...

:(:( like him or not, he changed the sound of modern guitar...
    I still remember the countless hours I spent with my friends in high school trying to find out what the f**k he was playing and why it sounded like that. We even Daisy chained every one's distortion boxes because we thought we needed more gain... (Into a small Gorilla practice amp of the late 80's...)
    RIP

Bill SAS 513, gush, brett and 5 others like this.
  4. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Mostly An Educated Guess

Hero, Innovator, Guitar Genius, Hardworker, Perfectionist, Lived & Partied Hard.

Not many more words can describe Eddie VH. His closest friends can say more, but like others, I will always be in awe of his incredible talent.

ScottR, DISTORT6 and bodia like this.
  5. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

Sad day, one of the most iconic riffers to ever play.

6. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Devastating. Wow. Bummed...

Black-Viper75, DISTORT6 and bodia like this.
  7. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Man, this sucks hard. Spent a lot of hours listening to and playing (badly) VH tunes. The atmosphere that band projected up until the 1984 album made it seem like life could be one big party. Despite the chaos that might be going on all around him on stage, EVH always seemed to be on it back then (disclosure - I did not see the band again after the '1984' tour). He changed the way a lot of us looked at guitar back then.

Never could get that tapping harmonics thing well enough to make me happy. :(

RIP, Eddie, and thank you.

8. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay...

Very, very sad. Heartbreaking.
    I remember when he won 'guitarist of the year' in Guitar Player magazine, breaking Steve Morse's 5 year run....
    He will be missed...

Deepest sympathy to those close to him.....

DISTORT6, bodia and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  9. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

10. Lister

Lister Playing guitar badly since the 70's...

[email protected] I was barely into junior high when the first album dropped, suddenly trapper keepers around school had the VH wings drawn on the front. And just how the h3ll do you play eruption? I sure couldn't do it on my little guitar, it just wasn't humanly possible to do what Ed was doing...and doing it while having the time of his life!
    RIP Ed and thanks for all the great music.
    Oh yeah, f#ck cancer.

11. 93studiolite

93studiolite Got Birds!

RIP Eddie. I always liked VH. I was in elementary school for most of their early years, but we used to rock him in my Moms at on the way to school. I took this one pretty hard. Sad I never got to see him live.

bodia and DISTORT6 like this.
  12. Huggy B

Huggy B Whiizzz

Devastated!!! I hate these reminders of how fragile life can be. People in your age bracket going like this, makes you want to make the best of what time we have here.
    It hits home when it's an artist that has influenced a lot of what you know artistically, can still ape out "Panama", I think I'll go in the other room, turn on the amp & harass the neighbors with some terrible out of practice tapping.

jxe, DreamTheaterRules, bodia and 5 others like this.
  13. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

My wife and I were in the car and she was reading a news bulletin on her iPad about his death. I didn't realize that he is a classically trained pianist. Interesting guy.

DreamTheaterRules and DISTORT6 like this.
  14. Rich5150

Rich5150 New Member

I cant process this, My friend texted me about it earlier and once I checked I was crushed. EVH was one of the main reasons I picked up the guitar.

bodia, ScottR and DISTORT6 like this.
  15. RC Mike

RC Mike New Member

I actually shed a tear, which I generally don’t even for people I know.

EVH was a supremely talented man. What do I take away from all of this? Make the most of my time, and to keep working hard to use my talents to make the world a better place. Eddie spent 20+ years embroiled in personal feuds, rather than maximizing his own talents. What could have been...

bodia, DISTORT6 and ScottR like this.
  16. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 New Member

I was lucky enough to see Eddie on Van Halen's 1st tour when they came in to town.

They opened for Black Sabbath on November 22, 1978.

I was TOTALLY blown away by his playing that night.

Up until that time, I'd NEVER EVER seen anyone run and jump around on stage the whole set while playing mind boggling licks on a guitar.

When he did Eruption, I thought it was some type of guitar magic.

I was at the right place at the right time that night, as I was able to get one of his picks that he threw into the audience during the show.

He and Randy Rhoads were my 2 main influences when I started playing in rocks bands in the early 80's.

Getting to see Eddie and Randy perform up close was a huge inspiration to me as a guitar player.

I was also lucky to have Randy hand me the only guitar he gave out the night I saw him with Ozzy back in 1982

Randy's pick is the Fender Med Tort pick in the plastic bag to the right of Eddie's pick.

RIP Eddie!!!!

Here's a pic of the picks. (See what I did there. :D )

[​IMG]

Bill SAS 513, Lister, JJDon and 10 others like this.
  17. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Gutted...just gutted.:(

bodia, DISTORT6 and Alnus Rubra like this.
  18. Deli6505

Deli6505 Rockin' the D!

My first true guitar hero. The one who first inspired me to pick up a guitar in the first place. A great light has gone but will always be the torch for many generations of guitarists to come. RIP EVH
    #51504LIFE

19. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

Super sad. A true innovator and influencer. I remember when the first 5150 amp was released. I got one pretty quick. I always liked his sig guitars too. About the only guitars besides PRS that I’ve liked much. I actually bought the cheapest version of the latest iteration used(dirt cheap) to scratch my Floyd itch.

I don’t know what else to really say. A sad day for the guitar world for sure.

ScottR, bodia and DISTORT6 like this.
  20. Buildermike

Buildermike Can you have too many?

A new kid on the block moved from LA and knew I was into playing guitar. Being originally from Boston he knew I was into Aerosmith. He told me this band from LA that didn’t have any air play time in D.C., blew Aerosmith out of the water. He popped VH debut album on the turntable and my mine was blown. At that time I couldn’t figure out how in the hell this this guy was making these sounds come from a guitar. Just a sad day one when one of your idols of your youth passes to the other side.

Lister, ScottR, bodia and 1 other person like this.