Ebony Fretboards

Chris528

I absolutely love ebony fretboards and was wondering if any PRS guitars (past or present) come with them.

Interested in Maryland made

Last edited:
All current artist package guitars are available with them. The Artist V has one, standard. The JA-15, NS 14 and NS 15 have them. There have been several models over the years with them. On the acoustic side, they are also available on the various models.

Over the years, there have been a few models that have had them, but I can't recall which ones at the moment.

I like them, too. 2 of my 3 PRS' have them.

The Experience 2012 P22 has a maple neck with ebony fretboard. I love mine. I know a dealer that still has one left.

I have 10 Library Woods DGT coming in the next month that have Ebony boards. I can let you know the colors and specs.

As Les said, you can select an ebony fretboard on any Artist Package guitar, for no upcharge (per the 2013 AP price list). When I spec'ed my AP 408, I was pleasantly surprised that the final price wasn't all that different than a 408MT with a 10-top, even after I added things like a rosewood neck, and the final price was still far below a PS instrument (<sigh>...someday...).

The Artist Package program is, well...it's friggin' awesome! I'm really glad that PRS brought it back, and expanded the available instruments/options. I hope it's here to stay for a long time! I'd highly recommend it for those folks who don't have the means to go full-tilt Private Stock, but who still want to make some personal tweaks/mods to a PRS instrument!

For any of the PRS employees/folks reading through these threads, thank you for offering the Artist Package program! :top:

actually there's quite a few SEs that come with the ebony fretboard. SE Mikael Akerfeldt, Fredrik Akesson, Nick Catanese, Zach Myers and the Torero. I'm not sure about the others, there might be more!

actually there's quite a few SEs that come with the ebony fretboard. SE Mikael Akerfeldt, Fredrik Akesson, Nick Catanese, Zach Myers and the Torero. I'm not sure about the others, there might be more!

Actually looking for a MD, not an SE. Thinking about saving up and getting one.

Btw, Good value in the Artist V if you can find one left from a delver or used. Great sound and many of them have great ebony boards with movement!

As Les said, you can select an ebony fretboard on any Artist Package guitar, for no upcharge (per the 2013 AP price list). When I spec'ed my AP 408, I was pleasantly surprised that the final price wasn't all that different than a 408MT with a 10-top, even after I added things like a rosewood neck, and the final price was still far below a PS instrument (<sigh>...someday...).

The Artist Package program is, well...it's friggin' awesome! I'm really glad that PRS brought it back, and expanded the available instruments/options. I hope it's here to stay for a long time! I'd highly recommend it for those folks who don't have the means to go full-tilt Private Stock, but who still want to make some personal tweaks/mods to a PRS instrument!

For any of the PRS employees/folks reading through these threads, thank you for offering the Artist Package program! :top:

+1 on all of this! I have THREE (well 4 technically) artist package guitars now from the recent offerings (DGT w/ brazzy board, 408 with a brazzy board, P22 with an ebony board and the "technical" AP is an endorsee swamp ash studio with a flamed maple neck :D) and they are phenomenal! Best thing outside of a Private Stock and if you love pretty much everything about a model but wanted to tweak something like adding a maple neck or an ebony fretboard, it's a no-brainer.

Speaking specifically to the OP, my P22 AP has an ebony fretboard and it sounds, looks and feels amazing! Save up and order an AP with an ebony board, I think you'll be happy you did!

I absolutely love the Artist Package, and in fact, really liked the old Artist Package, but the new one is better because there are more choices that affect the tone of the guitar.

It used to be principally a nice package for the bling; now it's all about making serious custom changes to the guitars. It's great, just freaking great.

So is there a difference between the Mexican ebony that PRS is (was?) using on the AP guitars and other ebony? One dealer suggested to me that the Mexican ebony was more of a tactile difference than a sonic difference. Not having two different types of ebony for comparison, I can't say if that's my impression.

So is there a difference between the Mexican ebony that PRS is (was?) using on the AP guitars and other ebony? One dealer suggested to me that the Mexican ebony was more of a tactile difference than a sonic difference. Not having two different types of ebony for comparison, I can't say if that's my impression.

Different woods. Katalox is Mexican Ebony and obviously grows there. It is very dense and oily though, not unlike ebony.

Last edited:
You can also order regular ebony on an AP guitar. At least you could the last time i ordered one.

I was a little worried for the OP or anyone ordering a PRS with ebony board.
I've been having acoustics custom built in Vancouver for under $1K and ebony board and bridge was no upcharge over rosewood.
I was worried that PRS would be charging an arm and a leg of an upcharge for an ebony board. Afaik from a luthier supply place, rw and ebony cost about the same.

SO glad to hear that there is no upcharge for ebony. There shouldn't be.

Anyway...I play PRS electrics exclusively these days. I only have 4 of them but none have an ebony board :-(
I prefer the looks of it on a guitar neck. EEEEERRRRCCCCHHHHH...there are many types of ebony and some don't look jet black...some have awesome figuring...but I'm ust talking about the regular old ebony.
I also prefer the feel of it but...I think that if you have any proper technique your fingers probably shouldn't even touch the board? Maybe they do...Yngwie (while I'm not a fan) kinda knows what he's doing technically and he scallops his maple boards to do away with any friction.
Sheeit, you could put Teflon on my board and I still would play like a turtle. I just can't play fast..and I doubt it's the rosewood boards that are slowing me down :-(
But I sure do like their slick hard shiny feel over rosewood. I love the feel of an ultra hard and coated maple board too but I much prefer the looks of dark boards.

If I had a no-upcharge ebony board option, I'd select it over rw EVERY time.
TJMT (that's just me though) and ymmv
Point is...BRAVO to PRS for not upcharging for en ebony board!

I think I'm gonna have to save up and buy custom order me one from MD. Have no problem getting a used one if I can find a good deal.

Back