Early CE22 models?

boardn10

I have a 1994 CE22 that I think is my best playing guitar. I think it plays better than all my LPs, better than my singlecut SC250 and so on.

What is it about the early CE22?

This one is Alder and maple with ebony board I think. Everything is just effortless on it.

I also love the Dragon pickups. They do it all for me.

Does anyone knowhow the later mahogany and maple topped CE22 models were with the D II pickups?

I am not a trem player but I wonder if that trem plays into how the strings feel. It all feels slinkier and easier to play than my hardtails.

Personal preference but I don't like Dragon IIs. I prefer Dragon Is.
That said, does a trem alow a guitar to play easier? Bends are so soft and pliable on thr CE. Things are more stiff on my SC.

Are there any PRS pickups close to the Dragon Is? I'd buy them for other guitars.
I know Tremonti and SC250s are hot and kind of dark too.
There aren't any current PRS pickups like the Dragon 1 (an old favorite of mine as well). The HFS is hotter, but has quite a bit more in the upper midrange and top end compared to a Dragon. The Metal is similar in total output, but with broader and more prominent mids and a more modern voicing overall. Both will come across as tighter, more aggressive and more immediate than a D1, which has almost an alnico pickup type feel, even though it has a ceramic magnet.

Funny I find Alnico to be plinky and immediate. I find ceramic to be Wilfred and chewy in years of playing. I can't play alnico. Too stiff and plinky to me.

Ceramic has always been fat and round to my ears and darker.

The Alnico Suhr Aldrich pickup in my LP are is nowhere near as fat and round, nor as dark and chewy as my PRS SC250 bridge pup.

Here is an example.

Well, we have clearly had different experiences. Just giving you my opinion on what I have tried. Most ceramic based humbuckers I have tried are not "chewy, fat and dark" by any stretch (example.....Duncan Distortion). And the Alnico based 58/15's and 57/08's I have in a couple of my PRS's I would never describe as "plinky".

Well, we have clearly had different experiences. Just giving you my opinion on what I have tried. Most ceramic based humbuckers I have tried are not "chewy, fat and dark" by any stretch (example.....Duncan Distortion). And the Alnico based 58/15's and 57/08's I have in a couple of my PRS's I would never describe as "plinky".
No that's cool.
I appreciate the input.
To be honest I'm looking to try some new pickups this summer. I used to use the Rio Grande BBQ. It was my go to because it was so fat and full and it worked for me.
I am tempted to try in my SC.

Check out the video I linked. That's been closer to my experience.

On plinky... I recently tried 9-50 on my SC. I like heavier wound strings but I wanted effortless beings on plain strings but 9s are too ice. Went back to 10-50. Lol...

Does anyone knowhow the later mahogany and maple topped CE22 models were with the D II pickups?
I have an '06 CE22 Standard (so all mahogany) that came with Dragon IIs. Didn't particularly care for them in that guitar. As I remember, it was on the darker side. Swapped in a set of VB/HFS which was better. Still had the PTC add a bass cut switch when I sent it through for a Floyd conversion and refin.

Back