Early 2000's McCarty vs CU22 for high-gain sounds?

xxxadixxx

My GAS is acting up and I have my heart set on a "vintage" PRS to add to my collection. The CU22 originally got me interested in PRS back in the late 90's/early 2000's and I think it is time to pull the trigger. My collection currently includes (3) 594's, (1) Tremonti, (3) G-LP Customs, with another Tremonti (PS) in process. I play mainly punk/metal/hardcore rhythm through SLO-100 or 5150 style amps where my "clean" tone is simply the neck PU vol rolled back to 4 through the same amp setup, i.e. still a little grit in the sound. Most of my guitars are tuned to D-Standard or Drop-C, with only 2 in E-Standard.

I started with the CU22 or McCarty for aesthetic reasons with the focus on a fixed bridge, 22-fret guitar with a rosewood neck. I have seen some with different bird inlays, but that is not a requirement. Currently I have my eye set on a few mid-2000's CU22's and McCarty's. I am not too familiar with the Dragon II's or McCarty pickups from that generation. Several forum posts indicate the McCarty pickups are essentially the same (or very close to the 58/15LT's in my 594's). A few older posts suggest the Dragon II output sits between the McCarty and the Tremonti, which could work well. The other posts also suggest the feelings about Dragon II vary widely based on the style of music which is why I am asking a more direct question based on my use case.

How would the Dragon II's compare with the McCarty for the sound I outlined above (or even relative to the guitars I already have)?

Based on your description the CU22 seems more fitting. Sounds more modern, even with the same PUs. The dragons are quite a bit hotter than older McC PUs and more suitable for your style

All IMO of course

I have both guitars and made the comparison swapping PUs. Different beasts. Love en both, but only the newer McC kept its PUs (57/08), dragons are not for me.

Based on your description the CU22 seems more fitting. Sounds more modern, even with the same PUs. The dragons are quite a bit hotter than older McC PUs and more suitable for your style

All IMO of course

I have both guitars and made the comparison swapping PUs. Different beasts. Love en both, but only the newer McC kept its PUs (57/08), dragons are not for me.
Completely agree!

My personal feeling it is the Custom 22 with the Dragon II pickups are going to fit your need better. The McCarty has a little thicker body but the pickups are closer to the lower output pickups they use today.

Cu22 with D2s would be the better pick for what you're after.

McCarty pickups are nothing like LTs in my opinion.

I have had both guitars and if it were me the cu22 D2s would be a better choice but that's only because higher gain is the field you're playing in.

My GAS is acting up and I have my heart set on a "vintage" PRS to add to my collection. The CU22 originally got me interested in PRS back in the late 90's/early 2000's and I think it is time to pull the trigger. My collection currently includes (3) 594's, (1) Tremonti, (3) G-LP Customs, with another Tremonti (PS) in process. I play mainly punk/metal/hardcore rhythm through SLO-100 or 5150 style amps where my "clean" tone is simply the neck PU vol rolled back to 4 through the same amp setup, i.e. still a little grit in the sound. Most of my guitars are tuned to D-Standard or Drop-C, with only 2 in E-Standard.

I started with the CU22 or McCarty for aesthetic reasons with the focus on a fixed bridge, 22-fret guitar with a rosewood neck. I have seen some with different bird inlays, but that is not a requirement. Currently I have my eye set on a few mid-2000's CU22's and McCarty's. I am not too familiar with the Dragon II's or McCarty pickups from that generation. Several forum posts indicate the McCarty pickups are essentially the same (or very close to the 58/15LT's in my 594's). A few older posts suggest the Dragon II output sits between the McCarty and the Tremonti, which could work well. The other posts also suggest the feelings about Dragon II vary widely based on the style of music which is why I am asking a more direct question based on my use case.

How would the Dragon II's compare with the McCarty for the sound I outlined above (or even relative to the guitars I already have)?
You sound very advanced in your knowledge and playing style. I'm an intermediate with a bunch of high end guitars and I own 3 core and 1 P Stock PRS. Of my PRS, Fenders, Suhr's, and my R0 custom LP I'll take PRS. I found a killer 2008 Mira in mint condition last year, installed Fralin P 90's in it and while it's my least expensive guitar at about $1,400 it's one of my favorite. Nothing like a PRS. My go to/take one to the island forever guitar is my P Stock CU 22 that I built with my Wildwood guitars sales rep. Took 8 months to receive back in 2017 but well worth it. Maple fretboard, custom mother of pearl inlays, faded blue jean and weighs 6.8 lbs. The pickups are the PRS 85/15's. THE BEST pickups I've ever played in my life. It took about 4 years for PRS to sell them to the public. Check em out. In my opinion with your style, the underwound 58/15's probably won't work. I had a custom 594 with those pickups and sold it in a year due to the pickups and the neck wasn't right. A suggestion is possibly look at their S2 new models that came out not too long ago. I'm hearing great things about the playability, quality and the fact they are half the price of a core. I know little about Dragons but I know Tremonti is metal/shredder dude that can really play and his model has always trended to your style. As a side note: I bought a reliced Wildwood 10 Fender Custom shop 55 reissue a year and a half ago. Cost @ $4200 and I can't play it. I had hand surgery two years ago and the 55 soft V neck makes my hand hurt so I'm selling it. One of the coolest looking guitars ever. Sea foam with a maple fretboard with a relic job that's the best I've seen. Not too much, not too little and one of the reasons I bought it. So cool looking and sounds great, I just can't play that neck. You said you buy and sell alot so if interested email me at [email protected] Happy hunting.

When I was still gigging, I played high gain sounds. The two guitars that brought me the most oy with my amp rig were an early-mid 2000s CU22 w/ DIIs and the rotary switch. The second was an early Paul's Guitar with a tremolo. Of the two you mentioned, I's say the CU22 ALL DAY!!!!

I played the exact same stuff you like (still do!) In the same tunings in the early 00's. My first PRS was a McCarty, but I have also owned Custom 22's of that Vintage.

Stock, I would take the Custom 22 for sure. That said, both play exceptionally well and can do punk/hardcore/metal in those tunings very well....with the right pickup. I say that, because I know for a fact with both my McCarty and Custom 22 from that era I changed the pickups out.

If I personally bought one today of that vintage, I would putting one of PRS's more modern (and IMO...much better) pickups in and keep the DII/McCarty pickups in the case.

Don’t rule out a standard 22 or McCarty standard from the late 90’s/early 2000’s. They’d do great, maybe even better for what you want. Often less expensive than their maple top counterparts. I like the McCarty standards myself. Typically I replace the pickups with something more suitable to my style. Someone else mentioned a Mira core model. They are perfect for what you want bone stock.

CU22 with D2s is my go to. Just from the style you seem to be into, I would think that would work better for you as well. It also seems like you have plenty of basis covered with what is already in your collection. So that may end up filling one of the open niches that still remain. As far as the pickups, you will get a slightly more compressed feel out of the D2s. That, in a nut shell, seems to be what many don't like about them. For me, that is what I dig. It isn't so squashed that you can't get good overtones and some chime in the higher registers. But they aren't quite as open as you would get from many of the "numbered" pickups that are all the rage today. And the neck is probably my favorite pickup from PRS. The bridge is pretty hot. And I do roll the tone back just a bit as it can bite a bit more than my needs require.

I have a 2000 CU22 and think it would be great for what you describe (but also dont think either could be considered a wrong choice)

The Dragon IIs seem fairly polarizing, but personally I love them. I have a feeling it might be more lower gain oriented people that don't care for them? They chug for sure, and the cleans are nice too

mine in action:

Either Guitar Would Work Beautifully. Since No Two Guitars Are Identical, I would Grab The One That Played And Sounded To Best And Never Look Back. I Would Also Most Likely Switch Out The Pickups But That Is Me. I Have Both And Love Both With The Nod Going To The McCarty.

If you're playing drop tunings, I assume we play similar styles...you probably go a little harder than I do.
I never gelled with the McCarty pickups. Dragon 1s are great in my opinion (the neck Dragon 1 is the same as the neck Dragon 2...but I believe the Dragon 1 bridge is a ceramic magnet where the Dragon 2 is not). I would say the Custom with Dragons is definitely what I would pick.

I have a 2000 CU22 and think it would be great for what you describe (but also dont think either could be considered a wrong choice)

The Dragon IIs seem fairly polarizing, but personally I love them. I have a feeling it might be more lower gain oriented people that don't care for them? They chug for sure, and the cleans are nice too

mine in action:
Very nice CU22!

I am not really a high gain player anymore, however I do love me the occasional dream theater stuff to play along. Not hi gain by modern standards, but it is a far cry from low gain and even then I do not like the dragons. Just me, but like denktat said about compression: it is there and I do not want that from my PUs. Compression from the amp: fine by me, but not before that point in my signal chain. I do not like compressors for that matter either.

Back