Eagles & PRS (not related)

IKnowALittle

I went over to a friends house tonite, five of us, all gigging musicians. Drank copious amounts of beer and watched the Eagles DVD, "Live From Melbourne". Damn, it was fabulous. I think we forget how good this band was, consummate pros. Their catalog of hits is unbelievable and the vocals are stunning. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not wanting to raise any ire, but there is one thing I really don't understand. Constantly read posts from guys wanting "the" LP, Strat, Tele sound. Don't get it. I want the PRS sound. It's distinctive, unique and powerful. I gig a lot and my two goto guitars are a 2011 Studio and a 25th anniversary SAS. I can get any sound (tone) I want from them, but mostly I just let them sound like PRS guitars. Really, can't be beat. That's why I play them.

All the best ....

Not wanting to raise any ire, but there is one thing I really don't understand. Constantly read posts from guys wanting "the" LP, Strat, Tele sound. Don't get it. I want the PRS sound. It's distinctive, unique and powerful. I gig a lot and my two goto guitars are a 2011 Studio and a 25th anniversary SAS. I can get any sound (tone) I want from them, but mostly I just let them sound like PRS guitars. Really, can't be beat. That's why I play them.

All the best ....

Couldn't agree more! PRS guitars are their own thing, and they sound fantastic.

They have their own voice, and it's a darn good one.

Agreed on both parts OP!

I have to have those "traditional" guitars in my arsenal as a covers guy/sideman and I have a few examples of each but for me a PRS is very well rounded and versatile while still having their own characteristic.

Eagles are the reason I got into guitar. Hearing the solos on "Hotel California" was what made me pick it up and learn. Joe Walsh is my hero (if my avatar isn't revealing enough) and I'm a big fan of Don Felder and Steuart Smith as well.

I am more similar in style to Joe Walsh, a bit more loose and selftaught and bluesy and not a theory nut. I love Don Felder too but he's a bit more of a technician than Joe is, so the combo works great. Steuart Smith is a fabulous musician too. His fingerstyle technique is very cool. Kind of similar to Brent Mason I guess in that he uses fingers and a thumbpick. But his pinch harmonics using a flick of his fingers is amazing to see. He did a lot of work with Rodney Crowell before the Eagles gig and still does occasionally when the Eagles or Don Henley (he plays for his solo shows too) aren't touring.

I saw The Eagles live from the second row center during the "Farewell I" tour.

I spent the whole time with my jaw figuratively on the floor.

Saw the Hell Freezes Over tour. They blared (only) SRV as house music before the show. Cool.

And Felder put on a guitar show all on his own, rarely playing the same guitar twice.

And it's bizarre sitting through a whole show and realizing you know the words to all, or almost all of the songs. Mellencamp hit me the same way when I saw him on the Whenever We Wanted tour - which included a new guitar player at the time, David Grissom.

Back