Downtuning

Spyroww

Hello!

So I got my PRS SE Custom 24, and it's setup in standard tuning. I'm wondering, can I drop tune and if so, how low will I be able to go? I wanna go half step down, maybe low E in c# is that possible?

I'd love some input

Half step down shouldn't be an issue - you'll probably need to tweak the trem setup a little, but just a small adjustment to the claw screws, I'd think. Take a picture, make a note of where the trem is now, tune down, then adjust the screws evenly. Going slow is your friend.

Dropping the low E to C# would likely involve a little more adjustment to the trem claw screws, and maybe a truss rod tweak.

Half step down to E flat is probably fine without needing a setup. C# will need a truss rod adjustment and intonation. You’ll probably want to use a thicker gauge set, too, or you’ll be playing wet noodles.

Half step down shouldn't be an issue - you'll probably need to tweak the trem setup a little, but just a small adjustment to the claw screws, I'd think. Take a picture, make a note of where the trem is now, tune down, then adjust the screws evenly. Going slow is your friend.

Dropping the low E to C# would likely involve a little more adjustment to the trem claw screws, and maybe a truss rod tweak.
Thank you, that is helpful!

Half step down to E flat is probably fine without needing a setup. C# will need a truss rod adjustment and intonation. You’ll probably want to use a thicker gauge set, too, or you’ll be playing wet noodles.
Thank you! I'll look into the strings if I'm gonna move down more than half a step

Additionally...Adding Thicker Strings (Depending On Size) May Require Some Nut Work As Well To Accommodate That Larger String Gauge.

All my PRSs are in Standard D (1 step down) with Ernie Ball strings 11-48. Perfectly fine.
Edit: perfectly fine after a setup, that I always perform after changing tuning or changing string gauge.

I have my SE594 set-up in C# standard. I use 10-52 Ernie Ball "Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom" strings to keep tension nice and firm. Guitar stays in tune wonderfully and still feels awesomely playable.

Back