Do you have a DAW?

sergiodeblanc

Who here has a recording program and the ability to upload and share files? I just want to get an idea of how many of us might be able to contribute for an upcoming thread I have a concept for, Thanks!

Saruman - DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation, generally it is the software you use for recording and editing, i.e Cubase, Studio One, Pro Tools, Logic etc.

My DAW of choice is Reaper. Mind bendingly good for next to nothing.

My DAW of choice is Reaper. Mind bendingly good for next to nothing.

x2

We did some really interesting surround sound stuff with it at uni! we had a room with 3 levels of speakers, floor, head, and ceiling. they were in rings of 9 speakers.
Using reaper we could make it feel like a motorbike was zooming past you or a plane flying over head. Crazy experience with your eyes closed.

I use Logic and DP. But it's easy to exchange tracks as WAV or AIFF files regardless of the DAW a musician might use. We do it all the time with session players who aren't local (and even with some who are!).

It's important to make sure all the tracks line up, so they all have to start at the same time, or there can be too much having to fiddle things around. It's also easier if all of the WAV or AIFF files are exported at an agreed-upon same sample rate and bit rate, though even tracks at different rates can be converted; this prevents tempo and timing errors.

I am thinking that there are a bunch of fun things we could do, I am just trying to figure out if I will have to be in charge of emailing tracks or if it would be better to open a Soundcloud account and give out the password to those involved. Thoughts?

I am thinking that there are a bunch of fun things we could do, I am just trying to figure out if I will have to be in charge of emailing tracks or if it would be better to open a Soundcloud account and give out the password to those involved. Thoughts?

Why not cut an album of tunes? I would be happy to contribute one of mine. Upon completion,we could each make a copy for our own listening pleasure!!!! What say you all??????????????????

For distribution, what about Dropbox? That way if you decide to send someone all the individual tracks, you can zip them into one file. If you're going to send out just a stereo mix and have each person send back their own individual tracks, the Soundcloud works to get the stuff out, but it might be better to have a repository where participants can deposit their tracks.

And can I just suggest that the track start with a count-off? Then each user can cut the count-off to their own track to allow the person putting it all together to line things up easily if any tracks get out of whack.

Back