DIY'er or....?

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
As I'm finally approaching the end of my flooring "project" on the house, I'm wishing that I could've hired someone to do it. I've always been a DIY kinda guy. I'm fairly handy, and for lack funds many times, I end up doing a lot of stuff myself. To some extent, I like doing things myself. I like working on things. We couldn't have redone our floors if I had paid someone to do the install. Lucky I had a friend with some tools and saws I don't have and some experience and knowledge on how to do it. I'll be honest though...I'm tired of the disarray in the house, I'm tired of either working on it or feeling guilty that I'm not. I just want it done!!!!!

So are you a do it yourself'er or hire a pro sorta person?

I've done both...when funds are low I've done it myself...finished my basement(I bartered the dry wall, and paid the electrician). My take away from that project is when hanging a drop ceiling, get someone to help!! I've also learned the value of time(time is money?) and been very glad I paid someone to get a project done in a few hours versus the days it would have taken me.

I've tried to do it myself, and for the most part, I've found that I suck at it.

I can do small repairs and maintenance decently, but...yeah. However, if my brother or someone really handy helps me, things go a lot better!

I''m a DIY'er...

I like getting stuck in and having the satisfaction of having done something myself and perhaps learned a new skill.

Having said that, I'm doing some huge jobs now that I would rather leave to a pro. Unfortunately we can't afford the pros (unless it's illegal for me to do) so I have to tackle it myself. Then I get my partner on my back having a go about how long it's taking or how much a new tool costs... Do I not have enough tools already?! Tell you what love... We'll get a pro in... He'll do it in a fraction of the time but it'll cost 5 times as much. You paying?

With a new kid I'm tired all the time. I'm tired of doing the work that I never expected and I'm tired of people on my back expecting miracles. The miracle is I've saved us thousands already and (If I say so myself) done as good if not better job than the so called 'pros'.

So I Like DIY when I have the time but it can go unappreciated by others that don't have clue about how long and how much something costs.

Everyone should have some basic DIY skills though!

I'm a self sufficient person though... I taught myself guitar, how to cook, DIY, etc, etc..

Yes, I f@ck things up but that's how you learn.

Last edited:
vchizzle, I can totally relate with you !! I am def a DIY'er. I've done just about everything. From finished full basements with man cave, refinished bathrooms, to reupholstering our dining room and kitchen chairs. I actually enjoy doing stuff myself, knowing that i'm saving, perhaps enough $$ to buy a new toy, PRS Geet or Amp or other goodies. However, when I tend to drag my butt, the wifey will call someone to do the work. When she decides to call someone to do the work, she's paying, not me. I am actually doing a project now, converting our Master Bedroom Closet into a California Closet. Fortunately, i've learned to be patient and it will get done. I also enjoy & have helped friends and family with projects. I have found, that if you have the right tool for the job, it makes the project a lot easier and quicker.

IF I can do it in a weekend's time, i will look into doing it my self. But the first time I put in a tile floor, that changed. The end result was far better than I imagined, but the work was tiring. In today's economy, labor has gotten cheaper , making it easy for me to save and hire it out. Plus knowing afew folks in who make a living doing stuff you need done is good too.

I do everything myself except car stuff. I simply don't have the cash to pay someone.

The guy who taught me my job said we basically fix everything but horse races. And I'm pretty good at figuring things out. Now with the internets I can fix just about anything.

That said, large projects I tend to avoid because I'd rather have it done quick. But the 2 times I've hired contractors I learned that 2 weeks is the standard answer to get you off their backs until they can find another excuse for another delay... of 2 more weeks.

My Grandfather was a master electrician and master plumber, my great-grandfather was a custom wood worker and cabinet maker, my step-dad did drywall for years, I've done a few flooring jobs with my father-in-law. As long as it's not major framing I can do it myself. (I can do it, just prefer not to.)

I used to be a big type DIY type of person but as the cashflow increases I am finding it's a lot more enjoyable to watch someone else do it and just make sure it's done right.

I've always been a do it myself guy until about 5 years ago. Now it's pay to get it done. I just don't have the time.

A bit of both, I've got a builder friend who does labour swaps with me, he works at my place for an hour and I work at his place for an hour. I'd like to build a house one day and it's my way of getting skilled up for that.

Funnily enough my expertise is in (marine) diesel engines but I pay someone to service my car... If I had a hoist it may be a different story.

Youtube is a DIY'ers friend. I learned how to do proper drywall joints and corners with youtube vids.

That being said, I do my own stuff when time allows. Its good to have the skills because it does save money when cash is tighter.

Famous words from my father..."if you can take it apart, you can put it together" but man, I suck at drywall!! Love tackling projects myself...I.e.Mike Garvey.

I'm a sometimes DIY and sometimes pay someone else. Having done most repairs and upgrades to our house and vehicles over the years I've learned that I really don't enjoy doing most of them. I did it to save money at the expense of pain in my hands.

Nowadays I'd usually rather pay someone else and save my hands.

I grew up pretty poor and DIY was required. Not I DIY when I feel like it, but pay for it when I don't. Like many here have said, I'm getting old enough to not want to anymore.

Back