DGT Standard vs DGT Tone Differences?

studio66

These have been in the hands of their owners for some time now and wondering from those in the know how they compare to your regular DGT?
Not really a vesus thread...they both sound great but I'm looking to put another DGT in the rack and hoping its a different enough flavor if that makes any sense :)
Didn't really come up with what I was after in a search...I struggle searching on forums with 3 letter designations.
Thanks!

I owned a standard, and it just didn't have quite enough brightness for me. It was a great guitar in every sense, but in a side-by-side, I like the maple-capped variety better. The standard was nice and warm and woody, but, again, it was missing a little something. I guess it depends on the tone you're looking for, and if you're looking for something differen from your DGT, you won't be dissapointed

It's heresy, but you could always swap out the pickups for something completely different. I love the DGT's neck and wish it was an option on all PRS guitars. I'd be such a happy camper! I have the maple capped DGT and never found it to bright actually but I went big with one in the 8 pound range.

It's heresy, but you could always swap out the pickups for something completely different. I love the DGT's neck and wish it was an option on all PRS guitars. I'd be such a happy camper! I have the maple capped DGT and never found it to bright actually but I went big with one in the 8 pound range.

I considered that option as well....57/08s into a regular DGT...I love the maple tops.
I could easily see having several DGTs as the neck feels like it was made just for me...if I could just get enough tonal varition to justify each new one ;)
Mines not too bright but it is right on the edge of it.

Standard will be a perfect compliment...
Had I not landed in an extra special mapletopped McBurst, I would still own the standard I had...

I thought the Standard had a midrange oriented sound that really cut through a mix. I liked the Standard I played very much! I also liked the maple top, but I think I'd probably go for the Standard if I had to make a choice.

My DGT Std has been a GAS killer for me. I have a variety of maple capped, and stds, etc. It cuts through the mix real well. I have a CU22 IRW which was my no. 1 until the DGT arrived. It's been over a year, so I think the honeymoon phase is over by now.

I do better with pictures...

310148_10151173226592412_2061034081_n.jpg

398553_10151173222782412_1899119657_n.jpg

I find my goldtop to be my personal favorite of the three. Some of that has to do with the fact that I've been playing it solidly for the past five years and have grown accustom to its nuances. The Standard is an amazing sounding guitar...it's just a little warming than its two maple topped brothers. Oddly enough, the necks on the '08 and '12 are NOTHING alike at all. The blue Standard has an old school W/F neck. You can't go wrong with any of the them.

I prefer maple cap as it increases the brightness. Depends on what you are looking for. My DGT has maple cap and gets very stratty tones in the split position. If the Les Paul sound is what you are after then I would suggest the standard with all round Mahogany.

Back