DG30 Amp Comparison?

Well... lets hear it!
Howie,

Please accept my apologies in advance...my recording skills are next to nil, and posting YT videos isn't possible yet (audio concerns from iPhone, mics, etc). While my iMac does have Logic Pro, I've never quite learned how to create music tracks with it...

That being said, perhaps someone from the "other forum" can upload my recently completed preset build and record something themselves...

IMHO, the preset does sound decent, though I think I need to tweak my rotary rate settings for a better Leslie-style rotary...The Trower vibe was deleted, and a digital 2290 chorus took its place.

In other news, my brother from the midwest challenged me to use some of my guitars for several tracks that would produce a viable piece of music. My reply was essentially the same as the one above...though I said that it might be possible in several month's time once I learn the "how-to's" of Logic Pro.

Perhaps the THD Univalve? I've had several "form acquaintances" that owned those and really loved them.
That's the one! THD, not VHT.

Lots of people on older forums said they loved them, but...when I played it, I could immediately hear that it wasn't my thing. We all look for certain things in our amps. One person's filet mignon is another person's 'chilet mighotdog'.

But going to the shop to play it sold me on the Bogner Metropolis I walked out with. And that was a killer little amp.

That's the one! THD, not VHT.

Lots of people on older forums said they loved them, but...when I played it, I could immediately hear that it wasn't my thing. We all look for certain things in our amps. One person's filet mignon is another person's 'chilet mighotdog'.

But going to the shop to play it sold me on the Bogner Metropolis I walked out with. And that was a killer little amp.
Les, that amp is a real chameleon from what I've heard. Changing power tubes and pre-amp tubes can completely transform it into something different. I think that by design, that was the whole intent of that amp... experiment with tubes to make it the amp you want/need. I only had a weekend and he only brought two power tubes and a few preamp tubes, but it definitely changed the character of the amp. It was definitely fun to play with and he put up clips that sounded great once he landed on the tube compliment of his choice.

I've wanted to play one of those Metropolis amps for years. There was one on Craigs List a couple years ago at a good price. I wanted to play it or at least hear it before committing to buy. The guy didn't want me to come to his house, and wouldn't meet me at my office. After two weeks of trying to find good clips or something, it sold.

I've wanted to play one of those Metropolis amps for years. There was one on Craigs List a couple years ago at a good price. I wanted to play it or at least hear it before committing to buy. The guy didn't want me to come to his house, and wouldn't meet me at my office. After two weeks of trying to find good clips or something, it sold.
It was definitely the most vintage inspired amp Bogner made at the time. I was surprised that with 4 EL84s, it sounded more Fender than Vox, but that was before I knew that the rest of the circuit is equally, if not more important than, the power tubes. However, it was a sweet amp, and I made a lot of dough with it.

"Who cares whether you made money with it?"

"My wife."

The Schizo switch took the preamp into somewhat different territory, but I found a sweet spot for my playing and pretty much left it there. As you know, I love single-channel amps, and I preferred it to my Mesa Blue Angel that was also a very nice single channel amp.

I ran it with a Bogner closed back 212 - terrific cab, by the way.

It was sold when I bought my first Two-Rock Onyx in 2003. It's not that I didn't like the Metropolis, it's that the TR was so expensive I didn't want to freak out my wife, so I sold a couple of amps to help fund it.

I was ecstatic over my TR amps, and wound up getting rid of every other amp I owned. I had a bunch of Onyx versions, But my last TR was a Custom Reverb Signature v2, loaded with NOS glass. I'll admit it was the most transparent, Dumble-inspired, amp I ever owned. But the Onyx actually was closer to what I wanted.

So decided to get another Onyx. They had stopped making them!! Bah.

I had a Mark V for a hot minute, but it didn't really work as well for me as I'd hoped, and then, Lo! The Great Gods Of Tone intervened and showed me Nirvana (the amp, not the band): I got the HXDA that still graces my studio and my existence! :)

Then the DG30 that's still here. This was all in early 2014.

"You didn't have to tell us your life amp story, dood."

"You no like my life amp story? This is about one percent of my life amp story."

"I definitely not only no like your life amp story, I don't even remotely give a rat's ass about your life story in any capacity."

"Can't say that I blame you. Not one soul on Earth, or even one alien in the entire universe, gives a rat's ass about my life story in any capacity. And I'll tell you why: Because the only person on Earth who thinks I'm interesting is ME. And there are times I'm not even certain about that!"

"I'll bet your wife thinks you're interesting."

"Ever get the STFU Already dagger eyes from your wife? Yeah. I get that every time I open my mouth."

"How about your kids?"

"I'm 100% sure I'm an embarrassment to them, and will remain so until the day I kick the bucket, when they'll decide, 'I miss dad;."

"Oh trust me, they won't miss you at all, even then."

"My grandkids will miss me, maybe."

"Fat chance."

"Forum pals?"

"That would be negatory, good buddy."

Last edited:
Back