Dead & Company Opening Night

strat63

The Torture Never Stops
John Mayer using a nice PRS guitar and a few PRS amps. Sounds like it was a good first night of the tour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! PRS guitar and amps onstage with the Dead. That's awesome.

I thought so. I've been a big fan of the Dead for years and was really curious how Mayer would fit in with the band. Based on the small sample from the first night of the tour, I'd say he pulled it off. I had no idea he was playing PRS amps.

Nice job, John Mayer! Being of a certain age and from San Francisco, I've listened to the Grateful Dead and their various offshoots since 1967, I've seen them live just a few times (the last time in 1970), and I've got to say, Mayer's doing a good job of channeling Jerry without sounding exactly like him. My band in high school in '67 did Cold Rain And Snow, closer to the tempo of the version on the Dead's first album (faster than this clip), and I remember struggling to learn that signature lick! Garcia was a big influence on my playing at that time, as were about a zillion other guys ranging from Eric Clapton to John Cipollina, but I wouldn't have picked out John Mayer as a Garcia fan (although I do like his playing.) And I dig that PRS he's playing--a Custom (22? 24?) with an HSH pickup setup? I want one!

Last edited:
I am not a big GD fan but I did get to see them in 1972 and one of their songs that I always enjoyed was Playing in the Band. Thanks for sharing the video. If I recall the studio version is on a Bob Weir LP (with Jerry Garcia featured as the lead guitarist).

John Mayer sounds great (and reconfirms my opinion that he is one of the most versatile guitarists around). Glad to see that he likes PRS, although I must admit there are songs he plays with his "other guitar(s)" that I enjoy as well.

Last edited:
I saw them in NYC (actually Long Island NY)! We must be "old (only age wise):proud:.

Ha! Actually, I'm 874 years old, though this is only a best guesstimate worked out based on historical references, and discrepancies between the Gregorian and Julian calendars.

I could be 872, or as old as 879. It's really hard to tell. This is me, rocking out on the theorbo, with my guitar nearby, 400 years ago during the time I lived in Italy. Wow, how young I looked back in the day!

LutePlayer.jpg

I really need to brush up on my Italian.

Last edited:
Back