Dc3 owners modding experience

Soloist101

Hi ,I'd love to hear from dc3 owners who modded there dc3! Thinking of doing this myself.
MC

I havent modded mine but when I googled 'DC3 prs mod', I saw that someone had the PTC place a 513 bridge in the DC3...

It turned out real sweet looking and no doubt its a tone beast. But I'd have to pay the PTC to do something like that for me. I'd be skerrrd to do it myself.

Cool what do you mean a 513 bridge? Thought they had to same tree system?

The 'new bridge' looks like 2 single coils stacked. If you look at the 513, the modded DC3 bridge looks identical to the 513 bridge. Whereas on the DC3 there is a single, there is a double on the 513.

The 'new bridge' looks like 2 single coils stacked. If you look at the 513, the modded DC3 bridge looks identical to the 513 bridge. Whereas on the DC3 there is a single, there is a double on the 513.
ND

Sounds great! That's exactly what I'd like to do. I'm trying to source an extra dc3 pickup to use!

ND

Sounds great! That's exactly what I'd like to do. I'm trying to source an extra dc3 pickup to use!

I think that dude's post is still up on sevenstring.org. If you google 'dc3 prs mod' and do an image search, you can see how this ended up looking. It is a black DC3. Looks pretty sweet.'

About 3 months ago, I saw a loaded DC3 pickguard on ebay. Might be a good way to source one.

I’m “the dude” he’s referring to from that thread. I didn’t have the mod done initially but the PTC took Todd’s old DC3 and routed it for a 513 bridge humbucker. It ended up absolutely killer, I still kick myself often for moving it! :(

Wow. Sorry 'dude'. Cool mod.

:)

Thanks for chiming in yeah I really want to do this to mine I'm just really trying to Source the pickups I was hoping maybe someone on here had some old ones to sell! Do you know if they moved the original Bridge pickup to a different position or just put the new one above it? The picture that I saw looked like it wasn't moved

Does anyone know if the DC3 pickups are exactly the same as the 513 and I see each position wired differently? Or are they all identical pickups

I could never get a straight answer about whether the DC3/305/513 pickups were identical or not. I remember hearing PRSh talk about the lower output of the DC3 (in club settings) and I cant imagine that being a concern with the 513 pups so unfortunately, I cant help you with that. Maybe ask PRS customer service?

I’m “the dude” he’s referring to from that thread. I didn’t have the mod done initially but the PTC took Todd’s old DC3 and routed it for a 513 bridge humbucker. It ended up absolutely killer, I still kick myself often for moving it! :(

That was a sweet looking guitar. I assume it was the neck carve that caused it to move?

I did this to an NF-3 now sporting a pair of 59/09s and a PRS Vintage rails in the center. :)
Same cutouts as the DC3 I sometimes think of getting a DC3 to mod as I have an extra pick guard from this build

IMG_2671 by
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/
IMG_2672 by

IMG_2535 by
35895376186_7a54dddd9c_o.jpg
IMG_2677 by
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/
IMG_2736 by

I've played this one. Such a fun guitar!

I've played this one. Such a fun guitar!

It really is.

When I had justmund's/Hansomatic's NF3 at the crib I was too hung up on trying to fit it into a preconceived mold of what I thought it should be that I kinda missed out. If/when the right NF3 ever crosses my path, I won't make the same mistake twice.

Maybe partially because this thread jogged my memory, I broke out my DC3 yesterday,,, Gotta say, it's a Bangin'! guitar. I'm not afraid to ruin a PRS, and I had originally planned to do so with mine but, it's great the way it is.

It really is.

When I had justmund's/Hansomatic's NF3 at the crib I was too hung up on trying to fit it into a preconceived mold of what I thought it should be that I kinda missed out. If/when the right NF3 ever crosses my path, I won't make the same mistake twice.

Maybe partially because this thread jogged my memory, I broke out my DC3 yesterday,,, Gotta say, it's a Bangin'! guitar. I'm not afraid to ruin a PRS, and I had originally planned to do so with mine but, it's great the way it is.

Hmmmm. So the cutouts for the NF is the same as the DC3 cutouts? Interesting.

Is the NF3 much different from a SAS NF? It sounds like it might be like a DC3 with mini buckers.

I'm kinda crazy about my DC3. Its the perfect strat for me (I just sometimes wish I could put some other pickups in it to experiment or make it louder). I have a 2 knob mental barrier so all my PRS guitars have just a volume and a tone. This is the main reason why strats are a no go for me. And why the JM strat is a no go. Love the DC3. Just need it to be louder.

You could always try some Lace Sensors in there. There's a few other pickups that should fit too.

Cool. I'm compiling a list of pickups that might fit... I had some trouble sourcing a revised pickguard so I temporarily abandoned that project. Maybe I will pick it up again after my 'tremolo upgrade experiment'.

Back