Custom 24 with fat neck?

The dislike for patterning thin neck shapes was always puzzling to me. I never heard of EBMM user complaining, and their necks are built literally for midgets. I own two PRS guitars. One has Pattern, the other one is Pattern Thin, and the difference is in millimetres, barely any.

Pattern thin is thin only in name; it has enough C-shaped shoulder to make it the most comfy neck PRS ever came up with.

The dislike for patterning thin neck shapes was always puzzling to me. I never heard of EBMM user complaining, and their necks are built literally for midgets. I own two PRS guitars. One has Pattern, the other one is Pattern Thin, and the difference is in millimetres, barely any.

Pattern thin is thin only in name; it has enough C-shaped shoulder to make it the most comfy neck PRS ever came up with.
Completely agree

Maybe, Maybe Not. Just How Sure Are You? ;) If It Isn't Private Stock, The Dealer In The Huge Majority Of Instances Across The Board Are Buying Off The Menu Paul Gives Them To Order From. The Saying "I Build What Sells" Is A Great Heat Deflector And Neutralizer In Addition To Steering The Consumer To The Private Stock Department For Their "Unique" Wants And Needs.

How Much Time Does Paul Really Spend On The Phone Or In Person With His Dealers Actually Getting The Pulse Of What The Customer Is Saying To The Dealer... Who Then Gives That "Accurate Information" To Paul So He Can Make His Guitar Building Business Decisions? How Accurate Do You Really Think That Information Is? How Much Of That Information Do You Really Think He Is Getting Overall? Not Much If He Is Going About It Like That. It Simply Doesn't Work Because The Huge Majority of Information Will Be Lost Or Watered Down And Paul Is Smarter Than That.

I Have Been In This Game For Many Years And Not A Single Dealer I Know And Deal With Truly Knows My Wants And Needs Gear Wise. Dealers Concerns Are Typically First And Foremost Margin Or Else They Won't Be Dealers For Long.

The regional reps work with the dealers. I think it’s reasonable to think that PRS knows roughly what dealers have in stock, how long that stock sits before it sells, and what dealers are wanting to order. PRS knows what each dealer is selling, what their backlog of orders is, and where their market has been, is at, and where it’s likely to go. That’s how a dealership model of distribution and sales works.

When I say PRS, I mean the company.

i have an '07 and it suits me just fine despite my great disdain for wide-thin, pattern-thin, regular, pattern-regular, etc. sometimes you can find an acceptable despite its name

I haven’t been playing long at all. I own two PRS, and did own one more. Each has a different neck. I’m about even with the Santana and the pattern regular. I like them both, though the feel fairly different to me. I don’t like the wide thin as well. I could live with it for sure, but the other two are more comfortable to me. Pretty small differences for sure. The wide thin is just enough thinner that it is not my favorite. The wide thin was on an SE that a sold to offset costs for my S2. I didn’t sell it due to the neck.

I don't think there's some broader context to be analyzed here, there's lots of different neck profiles for a reason. Personally I'd love to get the tone and response of my Custom from a guitar with a thicker neck. I might try a Standard with the Pattern Regular or one of those old Mira Xs with Pattern Vintage.

Has anybody ever put 85/15s in a different PRS? I wonder if it would carry over the Custom vibe into another PRS guitar.

I Have Been In This Game For Many Years And Not A Single Dealer I Know And Deal With Truly Knows My Wants And Needs Gear Wise. Dealers Concerns Are Typically First And Foremost Margin Or Else They Won't Be Dealers For Long.
I can't speak about dealers you work with.

However, you'd be surprised to know the dealers that I work with are well aware of my tastes and needs in gear, both in the studio context and for guitar gear. So it depends on the dealer.

My guitar dealer knows my wants and needs to a 'T'. I can't speak for his other customers, but he's mentioned that he carries gear that is very much attuned to what players in his neck of the woods are into in terms of music and tone - which, incidentally, isn't the stuff I'm into.

At this point, I can simply ask, "Will this guitar or amp appeal to me?" and I'll get a straight up answer. That's down to not only brands and models, but individual guitars' tones.

He stocks gear that appeals to me. The same is true of my main pro audio dealer. I will only buy guitars and amps from someone who understands exactly what I need.

What I don't know is how a dealer who is unaware of what real-deal customers actually want can stay in business. Because buying inventory that doesn't sell is just plain stupid.

On the other hand, when I find a dealer I can work well with, I'll keep working with the shop, and that dealer learns what I'm into. My relationships to all my vendors work that way.

Last edited:
Has anybody ever put 85/15s in a different PRS? I wonder if it would carry over the Custom vibe into another PRS guitar.
I've had them in quite a few guitars with various woods. The neck I liked in most of them and loved in couple, but the bridge pickup swap was not as agreeable. My favorite guitars for 8515, Cu24 and Ce24, guess it's the hog body with maple cap that does it for me?

Double cut 594? Try one. I play on one my buddy has from time to time...it's freakin awesome.
I have one of the S2 594 doublecuts. Tone is really pretty different than the Custom. The 594 has way more bass, more low mids, more rounded highs, and less output. A much sweeter sound overall. The Custom is more scooped, hotter, more articulate, has that Super Strat kind of "sproing" sound from the trem bridge, way more of an in your face shred/80s vibe that can cool off when needed. But the 594 does feel great so swapping pickups is an option.

Can't argue with your take, since it works well for you and you find it perfect.

However, it's those few millimeters you mention that can seal or break the deal. They break it for me.

It's the combination of the thinner depth with a wider neck I find less-than-ideal. It's not like I haven't lived with the Wide-Thin and Pattern Thin; I've had one of each! I liked the tone of the guitars I had enough to buy them in the first place.

But they didn't last long in my studio. After a few months, I found it prudent to part with each one.

Maybe it's because I get paid to play, but the feel has to be right in the pocket or I don't play my best. 'Ideal' is the minimum necessary to do the best work, and if that ain't happening, truth is it'd be a mistake buy the guitar.

When alternatives that work better for a player are available, it's silly to compromise.

On a personal level, as long as the guitar has wonderful tone, I don't care about 24 vs 22 frets, or scale length - though that's certainly important to other players - but I need a neck with more top-to-bottom depth.

Most professionals have carves they're comfortable with, and carves they're not. It's just the way it goes, and it's why so many artist-endorsed models of several brands have unique carves. People tend to think this stuff through like it's actually important! ;)

So there's your explanation.

Can't argue with your take, since it works well for you and you find it perfect.

However, it's those few millimeters you mention that can seal or break the deal. They break it for me.

It's the combination of the thinner depth with a wider neck I find less-than-ideal. It's not like I haven't lived with the Wide-Thin and Pattern Thin; I've had one of each! I liked the tone of the guitars I had enough to buy them in the first place.

But they didn't last long in my studio. After a few months, I found it prudent to part with each one.

Maybe it's because I get paid to play, but the feel has to be right in the pocket or I don't play my best. 'Ideal' is the minimum necessary to do the best work, and if that ain't happening, truth is it'd be a mistake buy the guitar.

When alternatives that work better for a player are available, it's silly to compromise.

On a personal level, as long as the guitar has wonderful tone, I don't care about 24 vs 22 frets, or scale length - though that's certainly important to other players - but I need a neck with more top-to-bottom depth.

Most professionals have carves they're comfortable with, and carves they're not. It's just the way it goes, and it's why so many artist-endorsed models of several brands have unique carves. People tend to think this stuff through like it's actually important! ;)

So there's your explanation.
This is exactly it. The wide/thin neck forces me to grip harder than I'd like for palm-on-back technique because of the extra space that I have to fill. And it forces me to crunch my thumb in farther than I'd like for thumb-on-back technique. The only reason I even have a thin neck'ed guitar is because it sounds and plays fantastically. It seems that there is no answer for a Custom 24 with a thick neck unless you are willing to hunt down and pay for older specific Core models.

I have one of the S2 594 doublecuts. Tone is really pretty different than the Custom. The 594 has way more bass, more low mids, more rounded highs, and less output. A much sweeter sound overall. The Custom is more scooped, hotter, more articulate, has that Super Strat kind of "sproing" sound from the trem bridge, way more of an in your face shred/80s vibe that can cool off when needed. But the 594 does feel great so swapping pickups is an option.

In my experience owning multiples of the same model is that they don't sound the same guitar to guitar. The core 594 that I play on sounds a certain way..yes..but to think they all sound that way isn't the case. Custom 24s...well I've never had one sound like the other and my favorite one I can't sell it cuz it is soooo different than any other custom 24 I've tried. I own 3 at the moment. Also I've not gotten along with 4 or 5 of the custom 24s I've owned in the past. Sold em.

Really you just gotta hunt for a double cut core 594 that might sound the way you want, if you want a modern guitar that scratches your itch. I gotta say though I do love my Santana. Totally different animal.

This is exactly it. The wide/thin neck forces me to grip harder than I'd like for palm-on-back technique because of the extra space that I have to fill. And it forces me to crunch my thumb in farther than I'd like for thumb-on-back technique. The only reason I even have a thin neck'ed guitar is because it sounds and plays fantastically. It seems that there is no answer for a Custom 24 with a thick neck unless you are willing to hunt down and pay for older specific Core models.
I get it.

I have a theory that much of the magic of the 24 fret CU24 tone comes from the placement of the pickups; as you know they're in a different position than on a 22 fret neck.

I realize the scale length is not the same on the Santana, but the pickup position is like the CU24 (I haven't measured them, just going by eyeball viddy here). For me, scale length is about a little bit of extra twang in the lower strings.

If you don't need the specific thing of the 25" scale length, it might be worthwhile to take a look at a Santana. I don't own one, but I've played them and the necks are pretty darn juicy. There is that concentrated midrange that the CU24 has, with a bit more bottom end push.

I'd play one and see if it could work for you. It just might!

In another possible direction, I feel pretty lucky to have snagged one of the PS 30th Anniversary CU24 run in 2015. It's a wonderful sounding instrument with a few different features than you find on most CU24s. The tone woods are a beautiful-sounding combination (African ribbon mahogany back, maple top, Madagascar rosewood fretboard; the electronics switching is a 3-way toggle with a pull-up tone knob that's an old school Sweet Switch with 85/15s; and the thing sings like no other CU24 I've ever owned (going back to my first PRS in 1991).

They have the Pattern Regular neck carve and a vintage style smaller heel. There are a few other details that distinguish them, mainly cosmetic. the feel of the PS model, even compared to WL or Core, is off the chart.

Most PS owners baby them and if you can find one, they're pretty darn amazing. I have seen a few that have sold for fairly reasonable prices.

Mine's this one. I love how it sounds (YMMV of course!), and I've seen quite a few that look even nicer than mine. If this was my only guitar I wouldn't complain in the least!

hZlZGFF.jpg

Last edited:
I get it.

I have a theory that much of the magic of the 24 fret CU24 tone comes from the placement of the pickups; as you know they're in a different position than on a 22 fret neck.

I realize the scale length is not the same on the Santana, but the pickup position is like the CU24 (I haven't measured them, just going by eyeball viddy here). For me, scale length is about a little bit of extra twang in the lower strings.

If you don't need the specific thing of the 25" scale length, it might be worthwhile to take a look at a Santana. I don't own one, but I've played them and the necks are pretty darn juicy. There is that concentrated midrange that the CU24 has, with a bit more bottom end push.

I'd play one and see if it could work for you. It just might!

In another possible direction, I feel pretty lucky to have snagged one of the PS 30th Anniversary CU24 run in 2015. It's a wonderful sounding instrument with a few different features than you find on most CU24s. The tone woods are a beautiful-sounding combination (African ribbon mahogany back, maple top, Madagascar rosewood fretboard; the electronics switching is a 3-way toggle with a pull-up tone knob that's an old school Sweet Switch with 85/15s; and the thing sings like no other CU24 I've ever owned (going back to my first PRS in 1991).

They have the Pattern Regular neck carve and a vintage style smaller heel. There are a few other details that distinguish them, mainly cosmetic. the feel of the PS model, even compared to WL or Core, is off the chart.

Most PS owners baby them and if you can find one, they're pretty darn amazing. I have seen a few that have sold for fairly reasonable prices.

Mine's this one. I love how it sounds (YMMV of course!), and I've seen quite a few that look even nicer than mine. If this was my only guitar I wouldn't complain in the least!

hZlZGFF.jpg
Thanks for the tips! I have had a couple of Santana SEs at various times and really enjoyed both of them. Those guitars actually opened my eyes to thick necks. One was a 2017ish model with 245 pickups, and it had kind of an 80s shreddey vibe. The other was a 2015 with Santana S pickups and that was more of a chimey PAF vibe. Both went away for various reasons but I could see trying another one, definitely.

That Custom you posted is maybe the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen. Just stunning! For better or worse I have more thoughts about guitars than I do funds, so SE/used S2 is about my limit but dang I'd love to having something like that.

Thanks for the tips! I have had a couple of Santana SEs at various times and really enjoyed both of them. Those guitars actually opened my eyes to thick necks. One was a 2017ish model with 245 pickups, and it had kind of an 80s shreddey vibe. The other was a 2015 with Santana S pickups and that was more of a chimey PAF vibe. Both went away for various reasons but I could see trying another one, definitely.

That Custom you posted is maybe the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen. Just stunning! For better or worse I have more thoughts about guitars than I do funds, so SE/used S2 is about my limit but dang I'd love to having something like that.
Glad you like the guitar, and that some of my thinking aligns with yours.

Is Pattern Regular thick enough for you? I saw a fair number of Wood Library runs the year or two before they went all Pattern Thin. I remember because I love the thin and was disappointed seeing such a beauty of a guitar and that one spec not hitting for me.

Here is one such example. I think Ish and Brian's had runs with Pattern Regular before it became "discontinued".

Is Pattern Regular thick enough for you? I saw a fair number of Wood Library runs the year or two before they went all Pattern Thin. I remember because I love the thin and was disappointed seeing such a beauty of a guitar and that one spec not hitting for me.

Here is one such example. I think Ish and Brian's had runs with Pattern Regular before it became "discontinued".

I don't know! I do like the extra width on the Wide Thin/Fat and Pattern Vintage profiles. I'm sure the Regular profile would be fine. Just being picky about wanting that extra fatness AND extra width :)

Back