Custom 22 with trem or without. Pattern Thin or Pattern neck? Time to buy.

tip

I have bid and won a guitar from a PRS rep.
They basically are allowing me to choose from 2 new, 2015, Custom 22 (stop-tail) with pattern thin.
Or a custom 22 (trem model) with a pattern neck.

Which should I go for? I like the old wide fat carve. But I wish the thicker neck Pattern had a stop tail.
Minor concerns.......If later I had to sell I think resale would be slightly better with trem, as well? It weighs a half pound more at 7lbs 11 oz.

I am glad the pattern thin is at least wide.
I wish there was a custom 22 W/T around here to try. Maybe there are some 30 minutes away at GC?
DO the mass bridges have more lush lows than the trem versions?

Sound and playability are top concerns. Then cosmetics and resale.

Do you use a trem? You could always block it but it does change the tone of the instrument. Some say for the better, I prefer the stoptail. So it depends on what you're after in this next guitar.

The trem equipped PRS are more ergonomic and thus play more effortlessly. They are also warmer sounding to my ears (due to all the brass in the bridge, I'm assuming) The trem equipped PRSi are a much easier sell. The trem is part of what makes a PRS a PRS.

I'd go from the Trem, IMO they feel and sound better. But if you can try both, get the one that speaks to you.

Do you use a trem? You could always block it but it does change the tone of the instrument. Some say for the better, I prefer the stoptail. So it depends on what you're after in this next guitar.
+1
I prefer stoptail also and blocked off the trem on my recent 408, not so much for the tone (I don't notice much of a difference) but for stability. You have to bend harder because the springs give a little compared to the solid fixture of the stoptail, and even in picking single notes it feels more stable to me.

I have, and have had, many trem-equipped PRSes and many stoptails.

Neither is better than the other in any way. There is a slight difference in feel, as one would expect. If you like a trem, get a trem. If not, don't. It's really simple stuff.

The difference between pattern and pattern thin is only 1/16 of an inch at the nut.

Back