Cu24 Fatback....

The one I have is around 7.8lbs like most the other ones the dealer still has (Wildwood Guitars).
On average they should be heavier but it's also not much thicker, at least nowhere as thick as SC 594s which can be boat anchors (I've seen sub-8lbs ones which have been tempting though)

I got mine because:
- GAS
- I was trying to figure out why split coils tone of 58/15LT pickups in a semi-hollow 594 sounded quite a bit more convincing to me than the CU24-08 w/ 58/15TM: solid vs semi-hollow construction, the scale length difference, pots/capacitors, or simply pickup differences ?

When Wildwood got those in PS finishes I got 'compelled' to get one to find out.
While the CU24 Fatback w/ 58/15LT does have a a slightly more convincing single tone than the CU24 with 58/15MT it's surprisingly close and the 594 semi-hollow still sounded (sold since) move convincing than either.
All this to say I really like the tone.
Sweet! I’m getting the urge from Northeast Music. Jack’s got a WL run with roasted maple necks. I’m a sucker for roasted maple necks. Not sure how much longer I’ll be able to resist. Thanks again for your input.

Sweet! I’m getting the urge from Northeast Music. Jack’s got a WL run with roasted maple necks. I’m a sucker for roasted maple necks. Not sure how much longer I’ll be able to resist. Thanks again for your input.

Mmmmm;)

Until lunch?
Probably a little longer. Maybe a week, or two. Admittedly, I almost did it yesterday, then I watched the news of all of the UPS and FedEx trucks getting looted and I held off. Actually, I should have the truck paid off by the end of the month (2 years early!). I'm thinking that's a good reason to buy myself a present. Plus, my birthday is the first week in July.

I spoke with Jack about these. He did not commit to any difference in tone. Also, I asked why the maple neck paired with these.If you are going FB it is an attemp to fatten the tone where as maple necks are said to brighten and make "snappy" the tone.

I have a WL P24 trem that has a fatter body than my other custom 24s. It is not noticeably heavier, I do not have a scale. It does not have a fatter tone.

As said earlier in the thread, its probably more about density tied to weight than thickness. My SCT is the same thickness as the P24, it is heavier and might have a slightly heavier tone???.

I had dreamed of creating a PS before and it had a FB, I am not so sure now. I think you need to go SC thickness to get there.

Also, FOR ME, I feel it is less and less about the guitar and MORE about the amp. I have gone down to 4 Core PRS and could cut more if needed (but won't). I have shifted my funds to amps - Friedman.

Oh those.... they tempted me very much (doesn't take much these days though).

I spoke with Jack about these. He did not commit to any difference in tone. Also, I asked why the maple neck paired with these.If you are going FB it is an attemp to fatten the tone where as maple necks are said to brighten and make "snappy" the tone.

I have a WL P24 trem that has a fatter body than my other custom 24s. It is not noticeably heavier, I do not have a scale. It does not have a fatter tone.

As said earlier in the thread, its probably more about density tied to weight than thickness. My SCT is the same thickness as the P24, it is heavier and might have a slightly heavier tone???.

I had dreamed of creating a PS before and it had a FB, I am not so sure now. I think you need to go SC thickness to get there.

Also, FOR ME, I feel it is less and less about the guitar and MORE about the amp. I have gone down to 4 Core PRS and could cut more if needed (but won't). I have shifted my funds to amps - Friedman.

Ohhhh love me some dirty shirley. I've had my eye on that one for a while. The BE-50 is also INCREDIBLE. Friedman makes some of the best amps out there.

..... Also, FOR ME, I feel it is less and less about the guitar and MORE about the amp. I have gone down to 4 Core PRS and could cut more if needed (but won't). I have shifted my funds to amps - Friedman.

I tend to agree...although my 594 and 2408 both have a little something extra in tone I wasn't getting from my other instruments. For me, I'm coming to the conclusion it's more about the cabinet, then the amp, then the guitar.

The big difference is I find more joy playing my two new PRS than other guitars, and that increased happiness comes out in my playing and my tone.

Tried again the CU24-08 w/ 58/15 MT vs FatBack w/ 58/15LT.
I'll reiterate: no difference to my ears unplugged.
Plugged the Fatback sounds a bit less clear/more muffled to me than the CU24-08, the bass is more overpowering. Hard to say whether that's the pickups, the guitar, or just the PU/action height difference(they look similar enough). So in this case I actually prefer the CU24-08 w/58/15MT pickups.
And I just got a used 594 yesterday, definitely I prefer the single coil tone on that to any of the CU24s. It's not like a night and day difference but it's just slightly more convincing, not that the CU24s are bad to begin with in that regard.

I know nothing about fatter backs (in any way! :)), but my '06 Cu24 is on the heavier side at 8.25 lbs., and is the best sounding one on the planet. I know this for a fact as I've owned three others, and this one definitely eclipsed them all. The good news for the rest of you Cu24 owners is that one of you likely has the second best sounding one! ;)

Tried again the CU24-08 w/ 58/15 MT vs FatBack w/ 58/15LT.
I'll reiterate: no difference to my ears unplugged.
Plugged the Fatback sounds a bit less clear/more muffled to me than the CU24-08, the bass is more overpowering. Hard to say whether that's the pickups, the guitar, or just the PU/action height difference(they look similar enough). So in this case I actually prefer the CU24-08 w/58/15MT pickups.
And I just got a used 594 yesterday, definitely I prefer the single coil tone on that to any of the CU24s. It's not like a night and day difference but it's just slightly more convincing, not that the CU24s are bad to begin with in that regard.
Yeah, I have to be honest with myself....it's the roasted maple necks that keep me going back.

Back