New CE24 or Used CU24

wharf rat

All,

I lot of you all welcomed me with my post a week or so ago about my NGD.

Update: the CU24 that was the subject of this post unfortunately had some (what I would call) significant undisclosed damage that I didn't notice during the purchase.

I am now a little scarred from that experience (i.e. used guitar inheriting someone else's problem), but loved the feel of that CU24 so I am conflicted. I would love to get another CU24, but most of the things I am seeing used online have some damage which I am not ok with.

So, should I be patient and wait for a mint / excellent CU24 or opt for a new CE24?

Looking to spend ~$2500, which puts most CU24 on Reverb in play, and I got a decent deal from Sweetwater for $2500 overnighted to me for a CE24.

Thanks,
Chris

Bummer that you didn't get what you expected from your first Cu24 experience, but the positive from that experience is that you now know better what to look for. In the words of the Who, "you won't get fooled again."

I love a good CE. I have two of the older generation. But I'd find either the Cu24 or the CE24 used. Consider the first one your learning curve. And you can also send it back to the PTC if it is in need a little love. Won't cost you as much as a new one, and it will certainly be good as new.

CU24 or CE24:
Both are great, and you've already held the CU24, so you've an idea what your looking at.
For me, the CE24 was the right choice between the two, mainly because I like the satin neck, and the bolt-on design that give it a flavor different from a set-neck.

BEFORE you order through Sweetwater, should you go that direction, you MUST check out Wildwood Guitars as they have some of the best CE models you'll find; at a price lower than Sweetwater ;)

New or used:
Used is always a crap-shoot. Personally, I'm too old for that mess. Save the money and go new. It may take a lot of patience, but to me anyway-- it's worth it. One exception to that rule is if you're dealing directly with someone you trust.

If you're wondering about a quality difference between the CU & CE, put it out of your head. It was something on my mind when I was shopping. Having my CE for a few months now, I find I'm playing it more than my newer DGT (which I REALLY love). My CE has much more resonance than my DGT, and comparing the two-- fit, finish, playability, sound, etc. the two are the same level. Thanks to the feel of the CE, I may take a Scotch-Brite pad to the neck of my DGT ;)

So there's my $0.02. If you do nothing else, visit Wildwood's website, then talk with one of their guys. You may be pleasantly surprised ;)

Best of luck!

~M

*Edit: At the time, I did not have my DGT and was shopping for my One-&-Only guitar. It was between this (below) and the one I bought in Amber (I wanted a finish closer to an old LP I once owned, and the 85/15 pickups). Only when I came into a little money shortly after buying my CE, did I buy my DGT-- at which point the Eriza Verde finish was mandatory. Kind of wish I bought this one in the first place LOL!

Wildwood Wood Library CE 24 Eriza Verde

Last edited:
CU24 or CE24:
Both are great, and you've already held the CU24, so you've an idea what your looking at.
For me, the CE24 was the right choice between the two, mainly because I like the satin neck, and the bolt-on design that give it a flavor different from a set-neck.

BEFORE you order through Sweetwater, should you go that direction, you MUST check out Wildwood Guitars as they have some of the best CE models you'll find; at a price lower than Sweetwater ;)

New or used:
Used is always a crap-shoot. Personally, I'm too old for that mess. Save the money and go new. It may take a lot of patience, but to me anyway-- it's worth it. One exception to that rule is if you're dealing directly with someone you trust.

If you're wondering about a quality difference between the CU & CE, put it out of your head. It was something on my mind when I was shopping. Having my CE for a few months now, I find I'm playing it more than my newer DGT (which I REALLY love). My CE has much more resonance than my DGT, and comparing the two-- fit, finish, playability, sound, etc. the two are the same level. Thanks to the feel of the CE, I may take a Scotch-Brite pad to the neck of my DGT ;)

So there's my $0.02. If you do nothing else, visit Wildwood's website, then talk with one of their guys. You may be pleasantly surprised ;)

Best of luck!

~M

*Edit: At the time, I did not have my DGT and was shopping for my One-&-Only guitar. It was between this (below) and the one I bought in Amber (I wanted a finish closer to an old LP I once owned, and the 85/15 pickups). Only when I came into a little money shortly after buying my CE, did I buy my DGT-- at which point the Eriza Verde finish was mandatory. Kind of wish I bought this one in the first place LOL!

Wildwood Wood Library CE 24 Eriza Verde
Interestingly, I will be driving thru Denver after the 4th - how fortuitous.

Cu24 all day for me unless it's an older Ce24. I debated between the two as well. After playing many of the new CE, the Cu24 was the clear winner for many factors. My Cu24 is arguably my favorite guitar, and it's definitely the best. It's just special, no other way to put it. I wouldnt be worried about used after one bad apple. Luckily, I Haven't been burned yet, but I'm not one to care about a bump or flaw here and there as long as the price refelcts the condition. I get a guitar to play and bruises happen. I also do a full indepth setup on every guitar to my preferences.

Good luck on the hunt!

Last edited:
I agree, as long as the price reflects.

That’s the beauty of what is ideal—it fits you and your needs, not anyone else’s.

For me, ideal has come to mean used gear. I get enamored with older models that can only be found used. I’ve also realized that I like some dings and such. I’m not perfect enough to own a perfect guitar. They just don’t fit me.

Cu24 all day for me unless it's an older Ce24. I debated between the two as well. After playing many of the new CE, the Cu24 was the clear winner for many factors. My Cu24 is arguably my favorite guitar, and it's definitely the best. It's just special, no other way to put it. I wouldnt be worried about used after one bad apple. Luckily, I Haven't been burned yet, but I'm not one to care about a bump or flaw here and there as long as the price refelcts the condition. I get a guitar to play and bruises happen. I also do a full indepth setup on every guitar to my preferences.

Good luck on the hunt!
Second this. Have had both the (older) CE24 and CU24 side by side and still the CU came out on top. The older is no slough, had a great sounding 92, but like SinSir points out: the CU is special. And second hand is not that big a crap shoot. Just have a little patience. Not all sellers are undisclosing douchebags.

I have a mint (as in, really good condition with little to any wear) CE24 if you’re interested. Well under budget. And it’s fairly unique finish for a non custom order. Vintage white top with natural sides/back.

TYBFpCp.jpg
VxslhaB.jpg

Back