Crackwood De-Flowering

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
I have been flirting with a rosewood neck off and on for a few months now, and when a local retailer got in one of the 408 Brazilians, and I played it, I was done.

By virtue of a recent sale, and a massive personal inventory reduction, I was able to loose my own personal crackwood virginity, at 43.

All I have to say is "HOLY S***!" Loudly. Over and over. I can't stop playing it. I can't stop smelling it. I feel like a freak. You can read all about it on the intry-net, but you must experience it.

It's a wonderful complement to the Siggy, and the rest of my lineup. This one definitely goes into the "you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands" category.

FWIW I was not previously a huge Black Gold fan, but this wrap changed my mind - it's lighter and more colorful than others I have seen - against a current BG C24 in the same store it's tobacco-like, almost reddish. I love it. Apologies for the fingerprints, and I don't have a good full-length shot yet:

057_zps488fa8c0.jpg

056_zpsc37874ca.jpg

063_zps57586e23.jpg

The stuff I got over here, well it's a PS dog's breakfast. When in doubt I whip it out, the 408 Braz guitar is da bomb!!

Gorgeous guitar, Carl! I must disagree with you though. I think Black Gold is the best production finish PRS has come up with in years. Enjoy!

Thanks guys. Just spent an hour or so A-B'ing this with the Siggy...these are absolutely amazing sounding, I would be hard-pressed to choose one over the other.

I think a lot of the posts on this forum have given about as accurate description of the differences between mahogany vs rosewood necks as can be written. The 408 Brazilian indeed has a low-mid emphasis vs the Siggy, with a little more roundness. The Siggy cuts a little more, slightly angrier.

Having shed so many other guitars (mostly SEs and an American Strat) I was worried that the Brazzy would floor me less at-home than in-store. I played this one vs an IRW 408MT and loved this one so much more...but how would she fare vs my Siggy? Happily, no buyers remorse here at all...amazing sounding, feeling and looking, and FAR from a duplicate of the Siggy.

Now please excuse me...I have rosewood neck to sink my teeth into...

Thanks guys. Just spent an hour or so A-B'ing this with the Siggy...these are absolutely amazing sounding, I would be hard-pressed to choose one over the other.

I think a lot of the posts on this forum have given about as accurate description of the differences between mahogany vs rosewood necks as can be written. The 408 Brazilian indeed has a low-mid emphasis vs the Siggy, with a little more roundness. The Siggy cuts a little more, slightly angrier.

Interesting comparison between the two - pretty much what I'd have expected - but also nice that you find both guitars individual, distinct, yet both are keepers.

A rosewood neck is a very good thing! Welcome to the club!!!

Interesting comparison between the two - pretty much what I'd have expected - but also nice that you find both guitars individual, distinct, yet both are keepers.

Yes, with the specs nearly identical except for the neck material between the Sigggy and 408B (hog/maple, pattern neck profile, scale length, pups, etc) I was really concerned that they would be too simiilar, but thankfully not. I suppose I could have brought my Siggy along for comparison, but I made a pact with her to never drag her into one of "those places..."

Congrats! That could be exactly what I'm looking to try myself.

Be careful JustRob - as soon as I played it, I knew I would have to have it...like the movie "Inception" the idea was burned into my brain and it was inevitable that I would bring one home...so be careful, understand the potential ramifications of trying one ;)

Once you play a rosewood neck its hard to go back.

True, very very true. Going back and forth between RW and Mahogany a bunch of times back to back really emphasizes the tactile differences. Didn’t notice it as much when I would go back and forth between the Siggy and some of my older CE24s - the finish on those necks is much less glassy. With these two you really feel (and appreciate) the differences.

Back