Covered humbuckers or uncovered?

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Just wondering what you all think of pickup covers on humbucking pups? I personally prefer them. Visually more than tonally. I can only hear a slight difference in an uncovered pickup anyway. It is a bit more able to push an amp from what I can hear without the covers.

Somehow, to me, a set of nice shiny, covered pickups just looks better to me sitting on a great top. The only complaint I have about my CU22 is that they went with the brushed covers from the factory. I didn't like the uncovered pups in my last CU22.....and even worse to me are the hideous "zebra" pickup configuration that it had :/ . These, of course, are just my opinions, but I'd be interested to hear what others think about the covered vs uncovered idea.

Whichever floats your boat for the given guitar. My SC245 has covered and my CU24 has Squabbin.

Love them both as each setup fits each guitar.

I used to only prefer covered pickups in terms of appearance. Ever since the squabbins came out, I like the look of both.

Like you, I don't care for the zebra look either. But, the zebra squabbins are more appealing looking than the older ones.

In terms of tone, I like 'em all. Each of my guitars has a different set, so I haven't a/b'd covered vs. uncovered with any of the pickups I have equipped in my guitars.

Squabbins are acceptable....still don't like them as much as a nice covered pup. I can't help it. I like shiny things. I wan't chrome on my Harley as opposed to black crinkle paint blacking everything out. I want a nice, shiny finish on my tops (preferably that shows of some nice wood grain). I wouldn't want to "relic" a guitar.......I mean heck, that is part of what makes me want to own a PRS. I can find great tones from many different brands of guitars. But the PRS look, finish, workmanship, etc.....well, it justifies the cost and makes me want to own one. So that shiny pickup cover is part of that .... [for me].

Again, that is just my opinion.

...at first i was like does alice cooper play? screaming lord sutch? and then i was all duh:

003a0816.jpeg

4 with zebra and 2 with covers. I am a fan of zebra due to a certain top hat wearing guy.

I like them all. Currently have covered, uncovered and zebra. I once had florescent green/black zebra.

For me, singlecuts look best with covered, S and T style uncovered. Covered look weird to me on those.

PRS DC look great either way.

I like the look of covered pickups most, but I especially like the brushed look that PRS does. Although the shiny nickel covers are cool too. I don’t mind zebras so much, but I do prefer covers. I jut swapped the zebras out of my ZM for a set of covered Seth Lovers, and it looks great. The only PRS I own that has uncovered pickups is my SECU24, which has black Dimarzios, it’s the Santana yellow color which is one of the few I don’t care for covers with so much.

As far as tone, I tend to like the covered pickups more too, but I think it has little to do with the covers. More often I’m taking out a hotter or more aggressive set of uncovers pickups to put in covered sets, which tend to be vintage voiced. So I think in my case it has much more to do with the pickups being exchanged, than if they have covers.

I like the look of covered pickups most, but I especially like the brushed look that PRS does. Although the shiny nickel covers are cool too. I don’t mind zebras so much, but I do prefer covers. I jut swapped the zebras out of my ZM for a set of covered Seth Lovers, and it looks great. The only PRS I own that has uncovered pickups is my SECU24, which has black Dimarzios, it’s the Santana yellow color which is one of the few I don’t care for covers with so much.

As far as tone, I tend to like the covered pickups more too, but I think it has little to do with the covers. More often I’m taking out a hotter or more aggressive set of uncovers pickups to put in covered sets, which tend to be vintage voiced. So I think in my case it has much more to do with the pickups being exchanged, than if they have covers.
I have the brushed in my CU22.....with all the shiny gold/hybrid hardware, I would have preferred the polished set. But the d*mned thing sounds so good that I can't bring myself to swap them out. Also, when it comes to anniversary, limited edition, special blah...blah...blah....... I try not to mod them. I keep them as stock as possible. I am like that with most things. My bikes, instruments, etc.

It’s too bad dimarzio has the patent on the double cream humbuckers... They would look so sweet on some PRS..

Back