Covered humbuckers or uncovered?

Other than a bizarre guitar Tremonti had made, I've never seen a PRS I didn't like. My ears decide whether to add or remove covers, depending on the sound I hear. And many times I leave them alone.

I just put some smoked chrome covers on zebra Tremonti S pickups. Much more metal.
Can you post a pic? If they're the ones I'm thinking of from Philadelphia Luthier, I was going to put the smoked black nickel on mine but wasn't sure if I'd like it.

Can you post a pic? If they're the ones I'm thinking of from Philadelphia Luthier, I was going to put the smoked black nickel on mine but wasn't sure if I'd like it.

This might give you an idea

ps-mccarty-sc594-trem-and-mc594-update-theyre-here.29555/page-3#post-461305

Those are the ones. They look great, but I think I misinstalled them bc now it's microphonic.

r6kMWVx.jpg

I'm pretty much a covered pickup guy. I don't own one with out covers. I especially like the nickel covers on my McCarty, after all these years, they are finally clouding up a bit and are showing the string lines that indicate it gets played and loved. I've often thought of following the trends here and using some sort of metal polish to return them to mirror, but it looks mature and well loved as is.

Do you need to use wax or silicone? I’ve seen few people just put the cover soldered on.

I watched some youtube videos to see how it was done. Cover the slugs with a piece of masking tape, put a small bead of silicon on the tape, then put the cover on and solder. The tape keeps the cover from touching the slugs, and the silicon keeps the cover from ringing.

Last edited:
I have no preference aesthetically, tone matters more to me.

My PRS Standard 22 Satin has the covered stocks. Strangely, I prefer high output bridges, but the stock sounds good to me.

I used to have a fine Washburn WI66v with covered stocks. But, it feedbacks a lot at high volume in a gig environment. A forum friend advised to take off the cover, and feedback was gone. The pickups had zebras under those covers, and it didn't bother me. I just had to annoyingly scrape off wax from time to time.

With that experience, if I were to buy aftermarket pickups for bridge, I would choose uncovered. I wouldn't mind having a covered neck.

I watched some youtube videos to see how it was done. Cover the slugs with a piece of masking tape, put a small bead of silicon on the tape, then put the cover on and solder. The tape keeps the cover from touching the slugs, and the silicon keeps the cover from ringing.
Cool. Thanks.

Back