Copperhead finish

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
What makes Copperhead finish so awesome?

I’m not sure but, I’m not sure but I was looking at the finish in the sun and magnified it because it almost looks like there’s some type of copper metal flake in it. Look at these magnified photos I was looking at the finish in the sun.

I don’t know much about staining so I would love to here’s some comments from people who know. Maybe we could use this thread too explain some of the other cool color stains and finish schemes on PRS guitars.

whYtFRK.jpg

ULEjQx8.jpg

br9655b.jpg

Copperhead is a great dye to enhance the grain of maple. I’ve talked to Paul Miles quite a bit about colour on maple. I was going to leave this top natural, but we decided it would benefit from copperhead enhancement. If you look at the binding you can see what the dye did.
CK_JujuTopWoodToGuitar.JPG

definitely glad you went Copperhead! Natural would have been nice but man that copperhead is incredible.

definitely glad you went Copperhead! Natural would have been nice but man that copperhead is incredible.

That Santana looks in credible finish that way. The “copper dye”really enhances the lighter wood grain. I swear it almost looks like there’s metal flake in it.

Beautiful wood grain + great color to enhance it + unicorn dust :D

Thank you! Now I know unicorn dust! No other explanation LOL

Copperhead has always been a weird color for me.

On the one hand, it does seem to really pull out contrast on nice maple tops very nicely. And I love the color in general.

On the other hand, it is in the grouping of "brown" colors to me, which are my least-favorite colors when applied to guitars. Dunno why, but my black-gold P24 and Tortoiseshell Akerfeldt seem to satisfy my need for "brown-ish" colors in my guitar color palette.

Maybe I need to see one in person, much the same way that Burnt Mapleleaf was something I really didn't appreciate until I saw one in person (the SSH I picked up at Exp 2018) - though I do think that the particular implementation of the finish on my SSH is a bit different from others that I have seen, and therefore it appealed to me because of that.

e.g.: my SSH in Burnt Mapleleaf (top image) vs an image borrowed from the Internet (bottom) that was what I had thought was typical:

leNf3Oc.jpg

1490872937-34634700.jpg

Maybe that second image is just over-enhanced?

Copperhead is a gorgeous color. The flecks that appear metallic are just the way the stained wood fibers reflect the light.

Please let the penny-huggers know that copperhead guitars are cruelty-free. No pennies were harmed in creating this post.

I love the darker stains like black gold, charcoal and their variants!

Back