Cool Saturday

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
They had a Comicon thing here this weekend. We saw an article about it on Thursday and told my son he should go. He hemmed and hawed, and when we were ready to walk out the door on Saturday, he finally decided to go (which delayed us almost half an hour). I've been looking for an excuse to get to one of these for a couple years, and this time I had it.

tardis.jpg

Daphne Ashbrook, who appeared on Doctor Who, was there as well and chatted with us while we waited for our prints. Felt a little odd because I never saw the eps she was in (my son hasn't either). Great setup for the pics, and they put them on Facebook and e-mailed them to us - possibly the smoothest operation of this kind I've ever used.

The London stuff was green-screened in, but it was a bit treacherous behind the screen...

dalek.jpg

We spent a ton of money at the Doctor Who store - my son spent BIG TIME on some autographed pics, including a couple Torchwood pics and a Matt Smith/Karen Gillan shot. I came close at another booth - they had River Song (the gorgeous Alex Kingston), and she'd signed it "Spoilers!" But I settled for a poster, some buttons, Tardis earrings (I did so!), and an addition to my recording setup...

angel.jpg

I told my wife a few months ago I want to find a full size Weeping Angel, and when our son moves out, I want to go to his house in the middle of the night and put it outside his door. (At least I know Geese knows what I'm talking about!)

At the other end of that aisle, I found this:

batmobile.jpg

Replica, but as close as I've ever been. The orange line was a barrier - you could take pictures outside that, but if you wanted to get inside, you had to pay $10 or buy one of the guy's bootleg DVDs. Which I almost did - he had bootlegs of WKRP in Cincinnati and...the 1966 Batman series. At another booth, I found the Batman set, and when I looked for the price, the guy there said, "I'm selling those for $35 for a reason - screw that guy and his BS Batmobile!" He told me later that all the dealers had been getting $50 for that set, and that guy asked him for a copy, and at the next show he came in and undercut everyone. No love lost there!

And I thought of Geese instantly when I saw this shirt:
whatup.jpg

It was so appropriate, but I didn't get one for myself.

My son was in his glory. My wife said, "Isn't this the kid that didn't want to come with us?" He was talking to dealers left and right and asking questions and telling them what he liked and didn't. Unreal.

I said to my wife, "Is this what I'm like at Experience?" She said, "He's not even close yet."

Super jealous! That weeping angel idea is hilarious. That would scare the crap out of your son if you do it.

I can't wait for "The Day of the Doctor" on November 23rd!

Allons-y!

I told my wife a few months ago I want to find a full size Weeping Angel, and when our son moves out, I want to go to his house in the middle of the night and put it outside his door. (At least I know Geese knows what I'm talking about!)

:rofl: Don't blink! :rofl: The angels are easily my favorite Doctor Who adversary. So simple and yet completely terrifying.

Daphne Ashbrook is a pretty obscure Who actress, so don't feel bad. I had to look her up. She was only in the TV movie (I remember her being great, BTW).

Did you buy any Trooper Beer?

Not here, but in August when we drove to Cleveland to see Vintage Trouble.

Random Sergio-ness - the Doctor Who Store at this show? From Downer's Grove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back