Cleaning Pickup Covers?

Dead&Co

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions on the best way to clean oxidized, tarnished Pick up Covers (58/15 LTs) and precautions to prevent from occurring frequently?

You'll want to wipe them after playing. A bit of oil may help as well.

I don't have a good way to clean them. I've tried rubbing with a soft cloth but only ok results.

Silver cleaner?

Blue Magic is of course what PRS recommends. I’ve had pretty good results with Flitz metal polish.

For prevention of tarnish, I’ve found that fingerprints tend to accelerate it. When I notice fingerprints on the pickup after I play, a microfiber towel that’s a tiny, tiny bit damp - by that I mean not damp enough to drip, almost dry - followed by a dry microfiber towel immediately, keeps the pickup covers clean. Good microfiber toweling won’t scratch the surface, though the 58/15s come slightly ‘scratched’ from the factory (on purpose).

I keep mine cased, and they’re always shiny, but I don’t know if the case has anything to do with slowing down oxidation.

I used to be fussier about that stuff than I am now, for some reason.

White Diamond Metal Polish and Sealer works exceptionally well...we used to sell the stuff at the motorcycle dealership I used to manage...I've used it for years, it works really well at keeping the road grime off the chrome parts of a bike. So I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my guitars. I think Advanced Auto Parts sells it now. Good luck dude.

Blue Magic is of course what PRS recommends. I’ve had pretty good results with Flitz metal polish.

For prevention of tarnish, I’ve found that fingerprints tend to accelerate it. When I notice fingerprints on the pickup after I play, a microfiber towel that’s a tiny, tiny bit damp - by that I mean not damp enough to drip, almost dry - followed by a dry microfiber towel immediately, keeps the pickup covers clean. Good microfiber toweling won’t scratch the surface, though the 58/15s come slightly ‘scratched’ from the factory (on purpose).

I keep mine cased, and they’re always shiny, but I don’t know if the case has anything to do with slowing down oxidation.

I used to be fussier about that stuff than I am now, for some reason.

I swear dude...we must be related...fingerprints are not my friend:mad:!
As you know, I am not just the president of the PRS Anal-Retentive Dudes that Play Guitars Club... I'm also a member;)

Last edited:
Are the aforementioned polishes safe to work on Smoked Black Hardware?

Are the aforementioned polishes safe to work on Smoked Black Hardware?

Hmmm, not sure about that one. An email to Customer Service might be the best route. I've got some of those covers, but haven't had to worry about that yet.

I tend to buy abused and mistreated guitars and then fix them up. I had found from Jay Leno's garage that when they have chrome such as bumpers that look hazy and rusty they use vinegar on aluminum foil scrubber then rinse/wipe with water. When dry, use car wax to seal and shine.

Here's a Tele that I bought from a guy that had stored the guitar in a likely damp basement for several years.
Before and After... edit: "internal server error" when trying to link images, so just the links now.

http://www.tdpri.com/data/attachments/330/330836-de7404c09256d579b9b6f15d1315255c.jpg
http://www.tdpri.com/data/attachments/330/330837-e84a9af9c259d69c0699f877033ad3cc.jpg

Or a PRS that was abused through gigging. The neck was cracked from the body at the heel, which I steamed off and reset, plus cleaned up.

http://www.tdpri.com/attachments/img_20170726_162101-jpg.449696/
Inconsistent photo angle but you can see how the pickups reflect now.
http://www.tdpri.com/attachments/img_20170816_114725-jpg.454524/

But you are probably looking for regular guitar polish to take off those finger prints.

I must be in the minority, here. I love tarnished nickle pickup covers. Chrome covers don't do much for me, and if they're tarnished, faded, or scratched, I let it go. I think that the PRS stoptail looks better when it's showing signs of wear.
Right now I only have one guitar with covered pickups. (I only have 2 electrics left). Honest wear, not abuse, is a plus for me.

Another vote for Flitz metal polish. Alembic turned me on to this stuff over 20 years ago. A tiny dab will do-ya.

Appreciate all the responses!

Should have specified in original post the covers are smoked black. Using these polishes won't rub off the smoke plating?

hauve9820.jpg

I wouldn’t recommend much on that smoked hardware without contacting PRS. Nickel, flitz works great and I’m sure blue magic does as well.

Yesterday i finally decided to clean the 58/15 covers on my one year old custom 24. There was sign of oxidation or whatever on both pickups.
First i tried guitar polish. This polish has no abrasive components but still worked on one pickup cover. On the other one it had no effect.

Then i tried something called chrome-polish bought at an auto detailing shop. This polish is liquid and to my surprise also had no effect on the remaining pickup.

Then i tried metal-polish from the same store. This was a more solid paste (like toothpaste) and after a couple of minutes the covers was shiny as new. I will keep this for future usage.

Those pickups complement the guitar quite well. Very nice.

Blue Magic is the stuff.

Give the pickups a wipe down after each playing session.

Some amount of patina is going to form no matter what you do, so embrace it.

I finally got around to trying the blue magic on my 58/15 covers. They were seriously tarnished and looked awful. The blue magic worked beautifully where elbow grease had gotten me nowhere.

Back