checking out more guitars?

merciful-evans

Portsmouth uk
I've been putting off visiting my favourite guitar shop for a couple of months. They have 4 guitars I would love to try.

I have little capacity for any more, and maintaining any more would be a chore. So, something would have to go. I've identified 2 guitars that I would part with.

Last time I did this I returned with the guitar I took along. It was better than everything new I looked at.

Anyway, shortly I will be checking what part-ex they will accept for the 2 guitars against the more likely of the 'new' ones.

Am I alone in setting a one in/one out policy here? It seems like everyone else just collects on an ongoing basis.

Am I alone in setting a one in/one out policy here? It seems like everyone else just collects on an ongoing basis.

I am not at that point myself yet. Family life and kids caused me to give-up playing all but my Acoustic and even had to sell off my electric for financial reasons. After Divorce and my children becoming adults, I have been able to build up my guitars again but as I live in a small apartment, literally just 2 rooms (apart from a small kitchen and bathroom but you wouldn't keep guitars in those), I am at or extremely close to capacity.

All my guitars though are different and offer me something unique. I can't see me wanting to get rid of one because I bought it for its unique options it offers me. It seems silly to trade in my 594 for a 594 just so I don't lose what my 594 offers. None of my guitars are not up to the quality that I can justify trading 'up' - like selling an SE to upgrade for a Core version.

To be honest, it would probably make more sense for me to sell my Marshall JVM410c to add another guitar or two. I am not gigging anymore nor potentially looking to gig in the future - those days have gone. Therefore having a 100w Valve Marshall combo, regardless of how good it is, is just taking up space that could be utilised for another guitar or two. I think I would reduce my 'amps' down to just a Yamaha THR10 as I am only playing at home before I get to the point of 1 in - 1 out for space reasons.

I've been putting off visiting my favourite guitar shop for a couple of months. They have 4 guitars I would love to try.

I have little capacity for any more, and maintaining any more would be a chore. So, something would have to go. I've identified 2 guitars that I would part with.

Last time I did this I returned with the guitar I took along. It was better than everything new I looked at.

Anyway, shortly I will be checking what part-ex they will accept for the 2 guitars against the more likely of the 'new' ones.

If you are going to part with any guitars, I would recommend that you specifically identify what it is that you do not like about them and also identify what it is that you are seeking in a new guitar.
Ask yourself questions like... What is my musical goal? Or... What music do I intend to play and which guitar will help me accomplish that specific goal, my current guitar or a new guitar? Which guitar fits my hands and body most comfortably?

Asking yourself... Do I like the look/color of this guitar is fine, but DO NOT buy a guitar just because you like the color or because you just like the thrill of buying new stuff.

Just my opinions, take 'em or leave 'em.

I think my current guitar search is ended with my S2 SC’s. Why, you may ask?

Because my room has only enough area (read: hangers & closets) that could store more than 3 guitars, my preferred self-imposed limit.

Previously, my collection consisted of more expensive guitars (PS, ES-339, PRS 408, Suhr Classic Pro Strats & Tele), as well as other core PRS guitars. Why didn’t these remain part of my collection?

Because 1) the guitars (Gibson, Suhr Tele) didn’t feel right (neck profile or frets), 2) didn’t sound right (Suhrs were a tad too twangy/thin, I usually prefer humbuckers), or 3) my fear of damaging an expensive guitar prevented me from owning one for any length of time.

So, likely going against popular opinion, it’s necessary for me to say that I’m personally content with what I own, and am not looking to own additional guitars.

If you are going to part with any guitars, I would recommend that you specifically identify what it is that you do not like about them and also identify what it is that you are seeking in a new guitar.
Ask yourself questions like... What is my musical goal? Or... What music do I intend to play and which guitar will help me accomplish that specific goal, my current guitar or a new guitar? Which guitar fits my hands and body most comfortably?

Asking yourself... Do I like the look/color of this guitar is fine, but DO NOT buy a guitar just because you like the color or because you just like the thrill of buying new stuff.

Just my opinions, take 'em or leave 'em.

Each & every one of my (gigging) guitars can play everything I need them to, and I have no remaining musical goals.

Both outgoing guitars are the most comfortable, ergonomic and versatile guitars I have. I like them both, but they are the least liked from among the others.

Outgoing #1 would be the gigging guitar I used (solely) for 16 years. But I don't use it any longer, and I am not sentimental.
Outgoing #2 Its already been back to the manufacturers for remedial work. It was done well enough but was returned to me needing different remedial work. Work I no longer trust the maker to do, and stuff I really don't want to do myself.

The 4 shop guitars are all very different. Only one of which could work for a its keep.

I am not at that point myself yet. Family life and kids caused me to give-up playing all but my Acoustic and even had to sell off my electric for financial reasons. After Divorce and my children becoming adults, I have been able to build up my guitars again but as I live in a small apartment, literally just 2 rooms (apart from a small kitchen and bathroom but you wouldn't keep guitars in those), I am at or extremely close to capacity.

All my guitars though are different and offer me something unique. I can't see me wanting to get rid of one because I bought it for its unique options it offers me. It seems silly to trade in my 594 for a 594 just so I don't lose what my 594 offers. None of my guitars are not up to the quality that I can justify trading 'up' - like selling an SE to upgrade for a Core version.

To be honest, it would probably make more sense for me to sell my Marshall JVM410c to add another guitar or two. I am not gigging anymore nor potentially looking to gig in the future - those days have gone. Therefore having a 100w Valve Marshall combo, regardless of how good it is, is just taking up space that could be utilised for another guitar or two. I think I would reduce my 'amps' down to just a Yamaha THR10 as I am only playing at home before I get to the point of 1 in - 1 out for space reasons.

What you say about gigging is becoming more & more relevant to me also. My band has almost come to a standstill after 20 years working. Few gigs, few prospects, no practices. I can no longer kid myself that we will last too much longer. So I wont need a whole bunch of gear I keep for gigs. My gigging guitars wont even be able to justify their keep anymore.

Thanks for the nudge Mozzi. It's useful.

Not at all. I move my stock all the time. I just sold 5 a couple weeks ago because they never got played and having the cash ready for something else (PS maybe??) was more appealing.

For me, I would also think about the 'what if'. If you sell, what if you need something those guitars offer, have you got something that can do the job.

If you only have 1 Strat, what if you need a stratty sound for example. Every one of mine offer something that only that guitar does so I couldn't sell one to get something different because of the What-if I need what that guitar offered. I know that if I sold my 509 for example, I could see myself needing what it does and have to buy something to give me that again. If you can answer What if with the rest of your collection or potential new acquisitions, then I see no reason not to sell. If you sell the strat because you are getting a new strat or Silver Sky, then the 'what if' is answered.

I see no point in selling something if it has some use to me that cannot be offered by something else. As I am not gigging, I also don't need to have duplicates as a back-up just in case I need a quick swap mid gig. Everything I have now is of use and I am looking at doing my own compositions and having as wide a tonal palette that I want - not guitars that I may need to do a cover version in a band to get close to the original - like using a Strat to do some Jimi or Gilmore cover. I can do it with the guitars I want even if its not exactly the same as I am not doing it to appease an audience but for my pleasure.

I am thinking of purchasing a Helix (or similar) to have a wide array of different amps, cabs and FX's because I am a home player with very limited space. Whether its as good as the real amps or not is not the point, its about what I can keep in the very limited space I have and the 'best' for my needs right now. I am even applying that to the instruments I am looking for. I wouldn't add a SC594 or a semi-hollow as they aren't all that different to my 594 in terms of what they add to my tonal palette. A HB594 does expand a bit on my HBii (split 58/15 LT's on a HB) and the HB is different enough from the solid 594 but I still feel this is perhaps too similar to what I have that I am almost clutching at straws to justify buying one. It would also impact on what my HBii offers uniquely - just the Piezo.

Due to space (and my wife), I now have a "1 in 1 out" policy. In fact, I have one ready for moving on due to the fact that I just don't play it anymore and would rather use the money for something that I will use.

I'm not worried about it because I can get the same tones from my other guitars that I play all of the time. I could be sentimental about because my wife bought it for me for my birthday, but she has her imprint on all of the ones that I have brought home since....so it's not a big deal anymore. She even told me sell it if I don't use it.

I had a “1 in, 1 out” policy for a long time. At some point in the last few years it dawned on me that if I’d been a little more patient, I’d have kept some of the best ones, not because I collect guitars, but because they were just really good ones.

I suppose a bunch of good guitars could be considered a collection?

Anyway, I’m starting to understand why folks buy and don’t sell. Though I have to add that I’ve been ‘clean’ for over a year!!

Though I did buy an amp.

Because it was there.

I’m stealing this from a much wiser person than I on TGP: “My wife can’t spend guitars”.

The last few guitars I’ve bought, I bought because if I didn’t, that money would’ve just been blown on what I call “avocado toast”, or little expenditures that don’t really enhance my family’s live’s beyond the 24 hours it takes to digest or get bored of.

I’m cursed to be the spouse who worries about money.... I used to be under the impression that accountants were good with finances.

Im still only at one PRS myself and probablly wont look into another until I buy a house, but generally if I buy something i use it until it dosnt work anymore.

I recommend you buy a second PRS while you’re buying a house.... when you come face to face with laying out that kind of cash on a seemingly never ending money sucker, PRS guitars, their value, and their quality becomes even more evident.

I don’t have a policy about guitar purchases, but I do have a low tolerance for clutter which currently limits my purchasing to something I consider truly special. I have a couple of guitars that could find new guitars, but I’ve generally been fussy enough about past purchases that there is no guarantee I will walk into a store and find something that speaks to me louder than what I already have.

A lot of what I've personally previously owned and sold were guitars that 1) didn't have a "good" neck profile (read: didn't feel right in my hands, was either too baseball-bat-ish or too flat), 2) the frets were too tall (read: making playing more difficult because of the fretboard action), or 3) the pickups didn't sound "good" (read: single-coils never quite made my toes curl).

The 1-in-1-out policy was employed in my household because my wall guitar hangers could only accommodate 3 guitars. For some reason, I've personally always felt that 2 electrics and 1 acoustic was "adequate" for my ownership needs.

Do I "need" another guitar? No. My policy of trading or selling guitars is based on "desiring" a better quality guitar that is more cost-effective, not based on the guitar's build quality or higher price. With this reasoning, locating a high build-quality guitar might simply mean downsizing my expensive guitars and owning high-quality, lower cost ones.

Ergo, the S2 production models. While there are fewer choices regards the S2 line, my "needs" are fulfilled because I've cut away the closet queen/high cost/potential damage factor and put into effect the high build-quality/lower cost/less-worry-about-dinging-the-guitar factor.

Do I regret ever selling my expensive guitars? Well, to some extent, yes. The reason my expensive guitars were sold was mostly because I personally live on a limited, fixed income, and with the way the cost of living has kept rising over the past years, expenses needed to be kept to a minimum, and my only additional source of income was legally selling my high-price guitars and gear as used.

I don't ever envy others when they report about their recent guitar purchases, but I'm not one who is quick with praise regards someone's recent purchases. (Your nice-looking guitar arrives in a cardboard box on your doorstep, yay.) If each of us did the same thing every time we ordered from Amazon or the local pizza shop, I think this forum would quickly fade into history...

Back