Check out a song mixed by me

Michael_DK

Hi guys

Trying my hand at mixing here. Give a listen, tell me what you think! :) (don't be afraid to tell me what sucks about it, or what could make it better!)

https://soundcloud.com/michael_dk/treading-water-by-joe-gilder-michael-reisenhus-mix

A little background: I've not been mixing very long; this is probably the third or fourth track I've mixed to the end.

The original tracks are from Joe Gilder, and the song is called "Treading Water" from his album "Out of Indiana", Awesome song! Hope I didn't mangle it TOO much.... :)

Original released track (his own mix) can be streamed from http://www.joegildermusic.com

Last edited:
Thanks for listening and the kind words, Les.

Now, which aspects of my mix sucked the worst? I'd like to learn to do this stuff well :)

The raw material was pretty good to my admittedly untrained ears, so I think it can be a working assumption that whatever sucks about it is my fault :)

Hard to judge without hearing the raw tracks first. The mix sounds good, but the low resolution mp3 on soundcloud sounds poor (high frequencies sound pixelated). Try exporting a higher quality mp3, wav or aiff. I can't imagine he provided the raw tracks in that format. What did you use to mix? (pro tools, etc?)

Also, I wonder what the terms are for his use of your mixes. He provides material he's already released, but what if he receives a "better" mix? He's figured out a way to get people to pay him for mixing his music. Brilliant.

Last edited:
Good point on the sound quality. I'll upload a wav file soon.

I mixed in Logic, but that shouldn't really make a difference :)

In relation to your last point. Well, I can use them in my "portfolio" as long as I say who's recorded and written the tracks. As far as I remember there are no terms specified for HIS mixes, but really... This is a product aimed at people who are less talented at mixing than he is (that would include me). The album has already been released. And if I, at this point in my dubious "carreer", can get my name on an actual released mix, that is NOT a bad thing to me. Not to mention that he is not asking for the mixes people make. Unless he stumbles upon my soundcloud page and wants to use the "pixelated" quality from that, haha :)

My question when listening to a mix is first, "Can I hear everything?" In this mix, I can.

The next question is, "How are the balances between the instruments and the instruments and vocals?" And I think the vocals could come down a few db, but that's a matter of taste, and not a criticism.

Some folks prefer a hotter vocal, and some prefer to blend the vox into the mix more. That's an artistic choice, not a technical one.

I'm not hearing anything wrong with the high frequencies listening with a pair of Beyer DT770 pro cans on my computer. I'll try to check later on my studio rig.

Hey Les

Thanks for the further pointers!

After having been away from the mix for a little while, I tend to agree with your take/taste on the vocals, I would probably pull them back a little bit. An put the electric guitars a bit more forward in the choruses.

I think maybe my biggest challenge still is the "space" - i.e., the use of reverbs and delays. But I'm training :)

Thanks again for listening.

Back