Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
Newest new song day for Moondog Wily was the release of "Seeds We Sow". I wrote this song in March of 2018 and decided a couple of weeks ago, it would be the next release. So I figured out the parts, recorded it, mixed it, made the artwork and released it via bandcamp and distrokid. So let it be written that on the 9th day of May, 2021, "Seeds We Sow" was planted in the world wide webfarm! Here is the youtube feed:

Here is a bandcamp link:
https://moondogwily.bandcamp.com/track/seeds-we-sow

Would love to know what you think, even if your thoughts include "Don't quit your day job" (which is not an option and never was intended to be a result of my music compositions)! I have never had plans of a music career and as a child specifically chose to never pursue a career in music even though by the age of 10 I had been trained on half a dozen different instruments. This was in part because of my musical god Frank Zappa and his experiences with the music industry as well as music being my religion. As a result, I would never want my music to be influenced by money that could or could not be made by producing something to someone else's standards. Anyway, what I am producing is pedantic (I know this not only internally, but because of what my jazz musician friends say), I am mediocre on all instruments (and some may even say I suck, which I am fine with), but I am having the time of my life producing this stuff. For the first time in my life, my songs are coming out through my instruments instead of just living in my head and on paper.

PRS's on this song are "Hoorman Gitfiddle (a 2021 McCarty HBII) for rhythm and "Birtha Luna Bluvi (a 2021 CU24) for solos! On bass I used a 2004 MM Stingray. Here are the lyrics if you are interested.

The Seeds We Sow - Copyright March 31, 2018 - ANO Publishing, LLC - All Rights Reserved

<verse 1>
Tell me people why we trippin'
What's this fight about
Where it gonna take us
Why our souls in doubt

We all just one people
On one spinnin' rock
And when we separate us
Civilization drops

<chorus>
So lets melt minds
In a human love
Let us join together
Let us rise above

Let us build a future
Paved with our hearts of gold
Growin' green tomorrows
With the seeds we sow

<verse 2>
They tell us bout our freedom
But where's that freedom gone
They tell us what to buy
With their formulated songs

They know where you been
They know what you do
They know what you like and have
To many details on you

And to beat em gotta

<chorus>
Melt our minds
In a human love
Let us join together
Let us rise above

Let us build a future
Made with our hearts of gold
Love must be the motto
Of the seeds we sow

<verse 3>
No matter what color your skin
Or religion that your in
Whatever country you come from
And whatever sports team wins

Every day of every hour
No matter where you live
You gotta live as a human
And love to humans give

<chorus>
Gotta melt our minds
In one human love
Gotta join together
Gotta rise above

Gotta build a future
Paved with our hearts of gold
Drowning todays sorrows
With the seeds we sow

<outro>
Build a better future
With the seeds we sow
Redefine the future
With the seeds we sow
Shape a finer future
With the seeds we sow
Planting a one love future
With the seeds we sow
<end>

Plant responsibly (this is not part of the lyrics but maybe it should have been)!!!
MW

You remind me a lot of Cat Stevens, both vocally and with the message base of your writing. I wouldn’t be too concerned with others opinion of your work if it’s doing what you want it to do, as it’s obviously fulfilling a purpose in your life. If music is eliciting emotion, I think it’s doing its job. Just my opinion.

I think a lot about John Lennon as an example of a person who actually endured a lot of disdain when his message became less pop music based and more socially/mankind directed. But he said what was on his mind and in his heart at the time, and I think he was satisfied that he did that. It didn’t keep him from writing fun songs, love songs, rock songs. He just didn’t avoid making a statement when he felt it was needed. If your aim is to be a message musician, it’s a good example to follow as far as making music goes. Cat and John are both humans, with all the accompanying fault and frailty, and I’m not on board with all of their choices or passions, but something in their honesty, humor, and openness has always resonated with me.

You remind me a lot of Cat Stevens, both vocally and with the message base of your writing. I wouldn’t be too concerned with others opinion of your work if it’s doing what you want it to do, as it’s obviously fulfilling a purpose in your life. If music is eliciting emotion, I think it’s doing its job. Just my opinion.

I think a lot about John Lennon as an example of a person who actually endured a lot of disdain when his message became less pop music based and more socially/mankind directed. But he said what was on his mind and in his heart at the time, and I think he was satisfied that he did that. It didn’t keep him from writing fun songs, love songs, rock songs. He just didn’t avoid making a statement when he felt it was needed. If your aim is to be a message musician, it’s a good example to follow as far as making music goes. Cat and John are both humans, with all the accompanying fault and frailty, and I’m not on board with all of their choices or passions, but something in their honesty, humor, and openness has always resonated with me.
Thanks a bunch for the feedback Rick. Funny, you are not the first one who has made the Cat Stevens connection. For decades I have said that, if there was one person I wish I could sing like it would be Cat Stevens. Now make no comparison, because I will NEVER be able to sing like him, and I am fine with that. But I find it interesting that several people have made that comparison to me. If you are ever interested, I have a few other artists where the message is NOT Cat Stevens or John Lennon like, but I have not posted any of that stuff for two reasons. 1. Most of it was not done on PRS guitars. 2. Some of it is overtly political, and that would be a forum violation. If you are ever interested in hearing any of it, let me know and I will PM you some links.

As for worrying about others, I am truly not concerned. I am doing this stuff for me first and foremost, and if others want to listen, I welcome them. I guess the reason why I posted what I did the way I did is, I find it amusing that we spend so much time (not to mention money) here talking about the guitars, and so little time talking about why we even have them, to make music. I would prefer that we had as many music postings from members as we do guitar pictures. That is after all the reason we have these fine pieces of wood and metal, to make music. It is what it is though, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to listen and respond!

Happy pickin' kind sir!!!
MW

This is cool. I like the message, too.

And by a strange coincidence I listened to Cat Stevens earlier tonight before hearing this - something I haven't done in many years. Sometimes the stars just align, right?

Back