Changed my mind

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
Well, after a short while with the new OD pedals, I have decided I am going to ditch the HX Effects and replace it with pedals. Not because of any fear of it failing, as I was thinking earlier...when I really thought about what bugs me, it's that I miss easy adjustments. I just don't want to have to dig through menus, or hook up my laptop - I want the knobs right in front of me, easily turnable. I've just about figured out what all I'm going to get, and am psyched.

Of course, I could just be being fickle because I like tweaking my rig and this gives me an excuse to get new toys and dial them in.

Why multiple pedals with knobs when there's a programmable pedal with sliders that can replace most, if not all your OD and fuzz pedals? I'm generally skeptical of all-in-one pedals but haven't bought another OD in the 1.5 years since I bought the Chase Bliss Automatone Preamp.

61ZC6M4JHEL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Why multiple pedals with knobs when there's a programmable pedal with sliders that can replace most, if not all your OD and fuzz pedals? I'm generally skeptical of all-in-one pedals but haven't bought another OD in the 1.5 years since I bought the Chase Bliss Automatone Preamp.

61ZC6M4JHEL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Nice, but I really do prefer single purpose pedals.

I grabbed an HX effects to use with my Vibrolux ( only amp without an effects loop ) and with a single channel amp without an effects loop it is killer , I have a handful of presets that act like pedal boards ( Reverb / Delay the 4 Drive pedals ) some for certain guitars even. I do like it best with the laptop for tweaking.
With my other multi channel amps I prefer my Nova System for the stuff in the loop and amp gain and or pedals in front of the amp.
The 4 cable wiring on the HX Effects is a bit noisy and fiddly for me.

Never sell only shelve! You never work know what you'll want to try again someday. 2 milk crates full of pedals can make a boring Sunday into fun!

I'm not sure what the HX interface is like but my Headrush takes a lot of menu diving, or Rocket Science aspect, out of the equation. I'm coming from Digitech 2120 days and those were menu monsters! Its understandable why pedals are more immediate to control.

Want a tap tempo delay? I'll PM ya about that.

Totally understand. I used to have an AxeFx ultra that I used into a tube power amp. While I thought the effects were awesome, even preferred in some cases, I hated going in the menus to create or tweak things. I use an eventide h9 which you pull the “menu” up on your phone- pretty much a pedal with knobs, which is nice cause cause you’re not down on the ground tweaking. Still, I sometimes just prefer a pedal with 3-4 knobs.

Here's a good comparison of the Chase Bliss Automatone Preamp vs. some famous pedals. Chase Bliss and Benson Amps collaborated to make a truly usable and versatile pedal. The Automatone Preamp is surprisingly intuitive and easy to use yet covers everything from Klon to Fuzz Face (I've since sold my Klon, KoT, Fuzz Face, and others). Chase Bliss also makes an Automatone Reverb based on the Lexicon 224 that is astounding.

Here's a good comparison of the Chase Bliss Automatone Preamp vs. some famous pedals. Chase Bliss and Benson Amps collaborated to make a truly usable and versatile pedal. The Automatone Preamp is surprisingly intuitive and easy to use yet covers everything from Klon to Fuzz Face (I've since sold my Klon, KoT, Fuzz Face, and others). Chase Bliss also makes an Automatone Reverb based on the Lexicon 224 that is astounding.

Sounds great indeed.

@Aahzz,

No worries if you dig stomp boxes over more complex digital modeling gear. For many years previous I preferred stomp boxes because of their easy-to-navigate plug 'n play capability. Then, over time, as modeling technology improved, my interest turned towards modeling gear.

There's no shame in either platform; one either enjoys learning how amp or effect circuitry works (only if you really need to know) or you can still build your own rigs ad infinitum with what modeling tech offers.

My only concern is that is several years time you may find yourself pigeonholed with stomp boxes, whereas modeling offers more than you'd ever need.

Perhaps that is how we all might realize how our tone quest continues...we never know what new piece of gear will pique our interest, or replace what we currently own.

Yet you might consider that as modeling tech improves in leaps and bounds, stomp boxes consistently remain unchanged unless new versions replace older models. That affords some reliability, but unless you take a chance to discover how well modeling tech has improved, you still must rely on older stomp box technology.

(DISCLAIMER: NOT trying to change your mind. Only sowing seeds for your future years in amp/effect/cab modeling.)

Back