Change 58-15LT pick covers

CVS

Not so new member
I sprayed some guitar cleaner onto the pickup covers of my PRS 594 inadvertently. I have tried to get the stains off but so far nothing has worked. Do any of you have any suggestions? If I need to replace the pickup covers, is it something I can do myself and will PRS sell me new covers (I don't think that they are commercially available?). I am not very "handy".....

Thanks for any input that you have.

You can try some Blue Magic. That seems to work on the "corrosion" on the covers. If that doesn't work, I'd give Customer Service a call. Not sure if they'd be willing to sell them, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I was looking for a pair of black Narrowfield pick up rings a few years ago. Not on the store website, but a call to Customer Service got me a set.

If its brushed nickel you can scuff it in the same direction to bring it back

Not sure on chrome, actually thought thats more or less resistant to anything & thought cleaner was safe?

Any pictures?
Here you go
IMG-0303.jpg

I don't know where my head was the other night when I started this thread, but the guitar and pick ups in question is not my 594 but is my Hollowbody II with 57-08 pickups, which I know you can buy, but not so sure about buying the covers only.

You can try some Blue Magic. That seems to work on the "corrosion" on the covers. If that doesn't work, I'd give Customer Service a call. Not sure if they'd be willing to sell them, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I was looking for a pair of black Narrowfield pick up rings a few years ago. Not on the store website, but a call to Customer Service got me a set.
I will look into this. Thanks for the tip.

First off let me say I looked at the picture and I really don’t know. The cover looks like it has a rainbow of oily film on it. It doesn’t look like the cleaner you used reacted with ether the guitar finish or the plastic pickup ring. It almost looks like the pickup cover has a clear coat on it to keep it from tarnishing and the coating reacted with the cleaner. I’d contact PTC and ask if they coat their covers. Second, if they don’t clear coat them these pickups are wax potted and what may have happened is the cleaner removed part of the thin wax film that was left on the cover. If it was me in ether case, (since the pickup cover is already stained) I would carefully moisten a Q-tip in the cleaner you already used and clean the top of the cover and buff it with a dry micro fiber or cotton cloth and see what it looks like then. Just note that the Q-tip will pull some of the wax from around the adjustable screw poles and also streak the cover but should come off with the buffing. Sorry I couldn’t be more help but please let us know what you find.

Yep, maybe you have some degreaser in garage like autoglym engine degreaser?

Ive seen BK do the rainbow look but they blow torch the cover

Back