CE Singlecut..?

At least it only took two for you to realize that. I've gone though 8 or 9 in thirty years. :oops:
I've only been through one "name brand" Gibson LP. It was a good guitar. Played so so. I traded it for a McCarty and the guy who traded for it test drove it when we traded. Sounded heavenly. I could not believe it was the same guitar. In my hands it was nothing special.

I do have two Heritage LP's. They sound heavenly, but they are a bit heavy at 9.6 Lbs. I had one before them that was 10.3 Lbs. I only sold it because of the weight. I can't see owning a Gibson just to be able to say it's a Gibson. If you find the right one, they are worth keeping. For me, my Gibson says Heritage on the headstock.

I think it is an interesting concept but probably hard to pull off since the neck joint is so different on the single cuts along with the thicker body. I would really like a CE 22 with a stop tail piece to get the alex lifeson thing on!

Getting back to the idea suggested in the original post, I'm wondering if the idea was suggested for reasons of style, price, or if there's thinking that the tone might be interesting?

Being a dyed-in-the-wool set neck player, it's hard for me to imagine how this thing might sound.

I played a friend's inexpensive SC with a maple neck of some kind (I think it was bolt-on). It sounded good for the dough, but it didn't have the sonic character of any Singlecut guitar I'd ever owned or played. It sounded more like a massive Strat style guitar with humbuckers. I suspect a lot of that was that it was so inexpensive, and things would obviously have been different had a company on the level of a PRS designed it.

I guess my question is why would anyone be into this when there's already an S2 Singlecut - unless for cosmetic reasons, which of course would be perfectly valid if so desired?

I've played an Anderson Bulldog which I thought was really quite fine and was a bolt on. Traditional hog neck so not sure if a snappy maple would make a difference/be a viable option.
I think they went the way of the dodo due to the big G lawsuit. Later versions had more of an 'accessible' heel [sorry, no trademark infringement!] which I liked.

But judging by their used prices, bolt-on doesn't necessarily equate to "improved" pricing over glued/set neck but maybe no correlation at all, other than rareness of them in general.

Singlecut + bolt-on seems counter intuitive to me somehow. It might make for a great guitar, who knows, but I doubt the market would accept it due to the general bias against bolt-on single cutaway guitars.

Largely what keeps the price down on the CE is the reduced top carving and the neck construction method. You already get that in the S2 Singlecut while still adhering to the market accepted formula of mahogany set neck construction.

Getting back to the idea suggested in the original post, I'm wondering if the idea was suggested for reasons of style, price, or if there's thinking that the tone might be interesting?

Being a dyed-in-the-wool set neck player, it's hard for me to imagine how this thing might sound.

I played a friend's inexpensive SC with a maple neck of some kind (I think it was bolt-on). It sounded good for the dough, but it didn't have the sonic character of any Singlecut guitar I'd ever owned or played. It sounded more like a massive Strat style guitar with humbuckers. I suspect a lot of that was that it was so inexpensive, and things would obviously have been different had a company on the level of a PRS designed it.

I guess my question is why would anyone be into this when there's already an S2 Singlecut - unless for cosmetic reasons, which of course would be perfectly valid if so desired?

I actually own an SC245 Artist with a flame maple neck. It doesn't ring as much as any of the mohagany neck guitars I own. And there are of course S2 C22's and 24's alongside the CE24. I think it would be mostly cosmetic as to not have the A symmetrical bevel of the S2 guitars and then whatever else the satin maple neck brings along as far as feel and tone. A sub $2000 guitar with the classic yet shallower carve of the prs singlecut.

I actually own an SC245 Artist with a flame maple neck. It doesn't ring as much as any of the mohagany neck guitars I own.

Yup, definitely a different sound with a maple neck. The tradeoff seems to be mahogany's ring/sustain/warmth vs. maple's snap/beautiful neck pickup "flute" tone.

I've had a few set-neck PRS guitars with maple necks; two CU22 Soapbars, and a McCarty WL. Also had a couple of Swamp Ash Special bolt-ons with maple necks.

All were really good, interesting guitars. I thought the maple necks sounded most up my alley with the Soapbar pickups, but with humbuckers I like mahogany, and probably that's simply because I'm something of a traditionalist in terms of the sounds I hear in my head, plus I react to a bridge humbucker with mahogany with a happy face emoticon thing. :)

Reactions: MQO
Fwiw

I have noted the same problems with bolt ons for sc axes and double cuts.

Some guitars just have a shitty neck pocket and the neck isn't snug. They often have alingment problems and they don't sound too great. Won't matter if it has a top horn or it is an sc.

When the pocket is snug enough that the neck stays put without the bolts in you know you are onto a winner.

I have played a few japanese LP copies with the three bolt (one hidden in a neck tennon) join and they sustained like set necks, honestly couldn't pick a difference

Back