CE - New Release or Older?

BMiller

So the bug has bit again and I want a CE. In particular, I want the same/similar tones that I get out of my '91 CU24 with the 5 way rotary but with the subtle changes that the bolt on maple neck brings to the table.

Here's my question - would I be better off getting the new release of the CE (new or used) or grabbing an older '90s model instead? No one around here locally has the new CEs in stack so I can't try one out. I have played a 90s CE (years ago....other guitarist in a terrible experiment of a cover band had one) and I really enjoyed the feel and tone of it.

I've played them both and loved them both. I also own two late 90's models which are very nice. The new one has the same vibe as the older ones but does have the 85/15's stock which people are raving about. They are also coming out with very, very nice tops in some pretty wild colors. If you buy a used one and upgrade the pickups and go to the McCarty wiring, you are probably in for about $1,500 vs. the $2k street price.

P.S. The McCarty switching is an awesome upgrade that I recommend. Tough choice.

I'd guess you can't go wrong either way. I have a '91 with a 5-way rotary and it's killer. I don't have a new version but I own a McCartty with 59/15 pups(covered 85/15s) and they slay it. And I second G-Man's opinion about the tops ... some of the new ones are killer with some really cool finishes!

New. Those [85][58]/15 pickups. But whichever one you try, make sure you have a chance to play it first. Especially if you get an older one.

Here's my suggestion. Find an all hog CE with Dragon 1 pickups. Mine's a 95. Magic combination of a maple neck and mahogany body with Dragons. It's really a great guitar. The new one with the new pups is also a great choice. Try them both.

Oh, yeah, how could I have forgotten my usual answer: buy both! Sell the one you like less.

If you just want a brighter, snappier version of the Custom, get a 90's CE24 with the rotary. I think of the new CE as a totally different model. It has its own excellent thing going on.

Based upon what you've said, go for older.

The new ones with 85/15s sound amazing, but not like the old ones.

Would love an old one with 85/15s...that would be sumtin

I have a '93 CE-24 maple top that's all original, and I love it. The '94 and older CE-24s have the alder body, and sound fantastic. It's definitely more Strat-like in the split coil positions. And I love the rotary switch. Makes for a very versatile guitar. It's hard to beat an early 90s CE-24. They are special.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! I'm trending towards an early '90's model at the moment. Now I've just got to find "The One" and then convince my household CFO (and probably sell some more dust gathering gear to make it easier for her to say yes....).

Sorry to double dip but also consider if you want a 22 or 24 fret neck. The new has the 24 fret neck only. While I love both of mine, I gravitate to the 22 fret guitar.

I'd go older.
I have a 93 that's the jam!... and a 22 if anybody with a 24 wants to swap me. ;)

Back