CE 24 electronics?

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
Hi folks,

Am planning to pick up a CE in the near future - once a couple things sell on Reverb - and am debating between older or more recent. I've owned 3 or 4 of the older Core CEs, so I know they're great, and am probably going that way...but...I do love the necks on the newer ones, and I can't get enough Trampas Green, and I really dig the 85/15 pickups. I know the CEs use US pickups, but what I'm not sure about is the rest of the electronics. Are the pots/caps/switches/etc the US versions, or are they using the SE/S2 electronics with the US pickups?

Thanks!

I'm not sure, but the toggle in my CE24 was better than the wiggly one in the S2 I just got (so I replaced with a Switchcraft).

Hi folks,

Am planning to pick up a CE in the near future - once a couple things sell on Reverb - and am debating between older or more recent. I've owned 3 or 4 of the older Core CEs, so I know they're great, and am probably going that way...but...I do love the necks on the newer ones, and I can't get enough Trampas Green, and I really dig the 85/15 pickups. I know the CEs use US pickups, but what I'm not sure about is the rest of the electronics. Are the pots/caps/switches/etc the US versions, or are they using the SE/S2 electronics with the US pickups?

Thanks!
Should be SE/S2 electronic, IIRC. Plus, less carve on the top.

Not sure what the pots are but they sound great! They seem to control the volume and tone more smoothly and evenly than the pots on my Japan ESP Horizon
7FE297FD-B46C-4097-907D-F9FEB86D0A7Aa5835936b6cf4477.jpg

Hi folks,

Thanks!
I'm with you on the dilemma. I was sure I was either going to buy a new S2 CU24 or a 2000's CE. I played both at my local guitar center and it was definitely going to be the "old" CE but it needed a setup and maybe a fret level. But then I played the new CE and immediately changed my mind and put money down on the new one. Loved the neck and the pickups. I don't know about the rest of the electronics but it sounds pretty awesome so I haven't even looked into it. I considered getting a US Bridge or Mann Made bridge but honestly i'm happy with sound and stability of the S2 bridge so it's completely stock and likely will stay completely stock. ...Oh and mine is also Trampas Green. Outside of how the guitar played and sounded, it just looked so much better than the other two guitars I was playing. I don't think you'll regret buying a new CE. I also doubt you'll regret buying the old one. They are both super nice guitars.

I would say;
*if you get hung up on the old pickups vs the new 85/15s. Id say get the new CE.
*if you get hung up on dot inlays vs birds get the new.
*if you like the satin pattern thin neck more than the old CE profile, get the new.
*if you get hung up on abalone vs plastic inlays but don't care about moons vs birds, get the old CE
*if you get hung up on the shallower top carve, get the old CE.
*if you get hung up about the imported S2 bridge and locking tuners, get the old CE

I'm with you on the dilemma. I was sure I was either going to buy a new S2 CU24 or a 2000's CE. I played both at my local guitar center and it was definitely going to be the "old" CE but it needed a setup and maybe a fret level. But then I played the new CE and immediately changed my mind and put money down on the new one. Loved the neck and the pickups. I don't know about the rest of the electronics but it sounds pretty awesome so I haven't even looked into it. I considered getting a US Bridge or Mann Made bridge but honestly i'm happy with sound and stability of the S2 bridge so it's completely stock and likely will stay completely stock. ...Oh and mine is also Trampas Green. Outside of how the guitar played and sounded, it just looked so much better than the other two guitars I was playing. I don't think you'll regret buying a new CE. I also doubt you'll regret buying the old one. They are both super nice guitars.

I would say;
*if you get hung up on the old pickups vs the new 85/15s. Id say get the new CE.
*if you get hung up on dot inlays vs birds get the new.
*if you like the satin pattern thin neck more than the old CE profile, get the new.
*if you get hung up on abalone vs plastic inlays but don't care about moons vs birds, get the old CE
*if you get hung up on the shallower top carve, get the old CE.
*if you get hung up about the imported S2 bridge and locking tuners, get the old CE

The only changes I've made to my Reclaimed Limited CE24 are:
- MannMade bridge b/c it was my 1st core guitar, and the RLCE24 was about that much cheaper than the regular CE24
- Black pickup rings and toggle cap
- Schaller S-Locks
- That sweet sweet inlaid truss rod cover with the Maryland flag on it that we all went in on

The CE comes with American electronics inside.
I've had mine apart a number of times, and it's American.

The only part that is from the SE/S2 is the bridge (which i changed to Mann)

It has the 85/15 pickups the US made ones. From what I understand it has basically the same electronics, as the core line. The tuners are that same, the trem is made from a less expensive metal. it is a step up from the S2 line. Other than being its own thing, the cheaper price point primarily is due to a less expensive carve on the body, and the multiple piece, bolt on neck.

1. CU (Core line) - The Holy Grail. Best of the best. USA made with full US hardware.
  2. CE - USA made, with full US electronics and hardware (except the Korean bridge), with a bolt-on maple neck.
  3. S2 - USA made, with Korean electronics and hardware.
  4. SE - Korean made, with full Korean electronics an hardware.

It has the 85/15 pickups the US made ones. From what I understand it has basically the same electronics, as the core line. The tuners are that same, the trem is made from a less expensive metal. it is a step up from the S2 line. Other than being its own thing, the cheaper price point primarily is due to a less expensive carve on the body, and the multiple piece, bolt on neck.
My understanding is that there is the core tremolo, and the molded tremolo and that’s it. The molded is steel, the core is largely machined brass alloy. I’m think the tuners are phase ll, but made overseas. Can anyone corroborates or correct? Shawn?

So my local GC had a used 1997 CE 24 and a new one, so I was able to compare them directly. I'll be going with the new model - just freaking loved it. Now I just need someone to buy the dang Strat I'm selling on Reverb so I can swing it...

I wpuld so be all over one of those truss covers - sadly, can't go to Experience...one of these days...

Back