Cavity Search - some interesting finds...

Permanent Waves

Pickup cavity search, what did you think I was referring to?!? :):):)

For older models that don't have MODCAT codes, for which the case candy has been long lost, and whose color may have faded or is no longer available, pretty much all the information you need can be found under the bridge pickup. This can be useful to post accurate information about a guitar, especially when listing on-line.

1 - The original body color is marked in the bridge pickup cavity, which is useful if you are not sure what the actual name is or if the color is faded/discontinued. I found out my red CE is actually "Classic Red" and not "Electric Red" as I had believed for a long time. (A centralized databased of historical catalogs would be nice to have for reference on the website, BTW).

2 - I only played CE Wide Thin necks, so when I got a CU22 and the neck felt thicker (but same width), I simply assumed it had a Wide Fat as it was the standard option. Turns out I have a Wide Thin after all, it's just that the mahogany WT necks of the CU is thicker than the WT maple neck on the CE. (Anyone else notice this?)

3 - On a 90 CE, I have seen mismatched serial numbers between the neck number (penciled under the neck pickup) and the number under the bridge pickup. The number on the neck plate matches the one on the neck. (I was able to confirm neck is factory original). On a 95 CE, there is no number on the neck, only on the bridge pickup cavity, and it matches the neck plate.

Back