Can we talk about Paul for a minute?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Evan, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrw32

jrw32 New Member

At the end of the day it's a business though, right? Why wouldn't he be hawking his guitars at the big music stores, online and off? Especially when PRS now has guitars for all levels...entry, mid, and up...

#41 jrw32, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  2. Evan

Evan New Member

What the hell was that? Who's that guy? And is that the sort of **** I should expect here?

Am I about to be banned for speaking my mind?

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Pincher of Harmonics

For someone who claims to be a "marketing professional,"(over and over again in multiple posts) you would think that person would capable of communicating without the use of profanity. Perhaps if you were a little more articulate and thoughtful with your wording, you wouldn't come off sounding like such a little girl.

#43 Blackbird, Jul 19, 2014
  4. Evan

Evan New Member

Yeah, that's a totally fair point. I have no retort...and thank God PRS continues to do well...

5. Evan

Evan New Member

Fair point, did you have something to add? (I hadn't realized I was offending anyones' sensibilities.)

6. Paulgshaffer

Paulgshaffer New Member

Ingredients

Pastry

2cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour1teaspoon salt2/3cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening4to 6 tablespoons cold water
    Filling

3/4cup sugar1/2cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon, if desired6cups blueberries1tablespoon lemon juice1tablespoon butter or margarine, if desired

Directions

In medium bowl, mix 2 cups flour and the salt. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
      Gather pastry into a ball. Divide in half; shape into 2 flattened rounds on lightly floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold, yet pliable. This allows the shortening to become slightly firm, which helps make the baked pastry more flaky. If refrigerated longer, let pastry soften slightly before rolling.
      Heat oven to 425°F. With floured rolling pin, roll one round into round 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
      In large bowl, mix sugar, 1/2 cup flour and the cinnamon. Stir in blueberries. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle any remaining sugar mixture over blueberry mixture. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over blueberries. Cover with top pastry that has slits cut in it; seal and flute. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning.
      Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust, removing foil for last 15 minutes of baking. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours.

7. NomadMike

NomadMike New Member

I've rarely liked what comes out of the PRS marketing dept, the latest S2 SH series of videos featuring some guy from a band I've never heard of who never even strums a chord on the guitar is the latest example and has earned a few face palms,
    but I can't think of anyone better than Paul Reed Smith talking about the guitars that come from his factory. My ears perked up when he was talking about the voicing of the S2 Starla's pickups and said they were shooting for a sound like a Teisco but without being like ice picks (I'm paraphrasing), but that let me know that the guy knew more about guitar tones than just what came out of an LP with PAFs.
    Paul is a guitar geek, and he talks like one, like most of us on any guitar forum. I'm personally glad that he doesn't have any mystique, he's a guy who produces guitars, not a guru.

One thing I will add, describing a guitar is often vague as players like different things.

#47 NomadMike, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  8. jrw32

jrw32 New Member

Great points...and I couldn't agree more about some of those S2 videos...seeing them is great, but let's HEAR them!

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Pincher of Harmonics

Well, I already inquired about the dialogue you quoted, asked you for a link in post #9 and you never responded. This confirmed that you weren't actually quoting anything, just spewing hyperbole. When you do things like that you have to expect people to assume you're an off-balance troll. And, while you're probably just new and proud of yourself, people that are really good marketing professionals don't have to proclaim so in every post.

And yes I do have something to add, you're a dick.

10. Evan

Evan New Member

Now that was good. And I'll take the censure with gratitude...you're right, I'm wrong.

Well said, btw!

{There's just no arguing with right..this was right, I was wrong. (and a bit drunk, but that's no excuse.}

#50 Evan, Jul 19, 2014
  11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Glad you responded to it. I was initially disappointed that you hadn't before.

I think it's not a matter of right and wrong, just a matter of getting a handle on a market segment you're less familiar with.

#51 LSchefman, Jul 19, 2014
  12. RedGuitars

RedGuitars Thread killer

Look, *******...

You come to the official PRS forum to speak your mind about how lame PRS himself is, and you think that's ok.

I simply asked you to read the rules and now you've repeatedly told me to go **** myself.

I sincerely hope you are banned in short order.

Buh-bye.

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I hope he's not banned. Lots of folks come here with an initial attitude that might be abrasive, but then learn that we have a way of communicating that's perhaps different from other forums.

I have suffered the same disease in the past, and put my foot in it way too often.

I say give Even a shot, let him become accustomed to the more respectful way we communicate.

14. Evan

Evan New Member

Wow. See, I'd hoped that my recent mea culpa would send you to bed happy. :(

Oh well. :)

15. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

…or at least let him sober up...:beer:

16. Evan

Evan New Member

Look, I'm new here, and I don't know if you're Putin or what, but let's try to get along, okay?

17. Evan

Evan New Member

>Glad you responded to it. I was initially disappointed that you hadn't before.

Is there some kind of time limit here? What exactly is this?

18. WEDGE

WEDGE Zombie five, DFZ

Can't wait to meet this guy at an Experience event and see how much balls he has and how mush **** he talks in person and not behind a keyboard. Not a troll but a shitstirrer for sure.

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Not at all. I simply saw that you'd responded to other posts after mine. So I figured you were going to ignore it. Glad you didn't.

Every group of people has unwritten rules as to what's an acceptable way to communicate. This isn't an English Gentlemen's Club, but it's also not Harmony Central.

20. pat10295

pat10295 Dedicated to PRS

Now this is a discussion board after all, and the OP's original point does in some way relate with PRS. That being said, I believe that he has reason to express his points. Also, we're all just people typing in front of the computer, so there's no need for anger to flare up.

Now Evan, I will say that I respect your points that you've made, however I don't necessarily agree with them. While yes, a lot of the videos you see on YouTube of Paul often contain a few similar lines or actions, he's just trying to market his company. The information behind the guitars hasn't changed, so why say something else next time the camera goes on? I believe that PRS Guitar's marketing department has a little say in how Paul goes out and represents the company, however I don't believe that he lets them force him what to say or do.

Maybe I've read him wrong, but I think that how he acts is 100% Paul Reed Smith not 70% Paul/30% Company or 30% Paul/70% Company. I truly believe what he is saying is genuine, similar to the quality of the guitars coming out of the factories. Let's not forget that Paul's roots are in guitar making. The lessons he picks up in business are more or less achieved through experience. He didn't have a professor to tell him what's right or wrong in the business world (that I know of), the business world was his professor in regards to the subject. In most cases similar, not everyone's going to agree with the practices 100% but Paul does strive to make sure that a good portion of his potential prospects, and loyal customers are happy.

I actually would like to thank Evan, for sticking to his guns. Sure call me a suck-up or such, but there's enough people in this world who are fickle don't you guys think?

#60 pat10295, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.