Can we talk about Paul for a minute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. I simply saw that you'd responded to other posts after mine. So I figured you were going to ignore it. Glad you didn't.

Every group of people has unwritten rules as to what's an acceptable way to communicate. This isn't an English Gentlemen's Club, but it's also not Harmony Central.

Totally understand. I guess I'm not sure how I became vilified by questioning the marketing tactic.....never mind, I guess this is no different than any other "online environment."

I wanted to talk about PRSh, and I guess I should've brought that up with reddit, do I have that right?

{For the record, I can't imagine that there exists a bigger PRS fan...sorry to see such a defensive fanbase, that's sad}

Last edited:
Totally understand. I guess I'm not sure how I became vilified by questioning the marketing tactic.

I believe it's because Paul is so closely identified with PRS that to criticize the marketing looks like a personal attack on the person.
At this point I think Paul is the best and most consistent marketing the company has as I can't remember any other campaign that the PRS marketing department has come up with, or one that drew me to the brand while I was in the market for a new guitar.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

:shakehands:

I'm totally OK with the fact that you see fit to bring up what you see as some "issues" with Paul's marketing strategy, even though I see it differently than you do -- and yeah, having known Paul for over 20 years (and played his guitars, off and on, for longer than that) my perspective is gonna be a bit different.

My suggestion that you share your comments with PRS, the company, as opposed to this message board, wasn't meant to be pissy or difficult. If you have some expertise in that area, it might be that someone in the company might actually want to hear your thoughts. I've certainly told Paul (and others associated with PRS) some things about their guitars I wished were different. Of course, it takes someone like David Grissom, as opposed to a relative nobody such as myself, to get Paul to think, "hmmm, maybe there's something to that criticism," but I can't worry about that.

BTW, thanks, Les, for bringing up the term "musical" and pointing out that it is a commonly-used term in many professional musician circles. Not that it's easy to pin down what musicians actually mean when they say that, and studies are equivocal in terms of how consistent-across-musicians it is with respect to any given instrument. Regardless, it certainly has a taken-as-shared meaning within those communities.

Totally understand. I guess I'm not sure how I became vilified by questioning the marketing tactic.....never mind, I guess this is no different than any other "online environment."

It's not the subject matter, or even the specifics you raised, it's the way you approached it with what I'd take as disrespect.

Maybe that's not how you intended it, but it's how you came off.

What's odd to me is that you're apparently upset by how folks responded, and yourself feel somehow vilified.

That's what I don't get. You came here pretty darned confrontational, and expected people to respond in a positive way, like, "Hey, I'm cool, and didn't mean anything personally by saying that Paul Smith comes off as kind of crazy and confused, what the heck is everyone getting upset about?"

Well, re-read your first few posts. Now imagine that the object of your criticism was you.

I'm not sure you'd like it, based on how you've reacted to the criticism of your posts with anger, insults, and more confrontation.

:shakehands:
Regardless, it certainly has a taken-as-shared meaning within those communities.

Maybe as a newb, I don't quite understand the lingo, because that doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't understand what any of the above means. Maybe I'm slow (and abrasive, in my need for clarity).

In any case, I certainly didn't mean to give offense to anyone. I just wish Paul would focus his amazing interpersonal skills on the tangible breakthroughs that PRS is achieving with the P22, etc. and stop rambling nonsensically about the musicality of mahogany. But that's just me, and perhaps I'll be shortly banned for my uppityness.

It's disappointing to me that this seems to be a huge circlejerk. If that's what it is, fine, and good luck with it. But I personally think Paul would find you people to be assholes.

Last edited:
. and stop rambling nonsensically about the musicality of mahogany.

What is it about "musical" being a very often-used term in the community of musicians, and not being nonsense, that you don't get?

Mahogany is a tonewood. It's called a tonewood because it's musical. That is, it rings in a certain way when it's excited by vibrations. Not all woods do that.

Why do you use the word, "rambling," something derogatory, when you admit you don't understand the lingua franca among musicians? Why do you admit you're wrong, and yet somehow imply that you're right despite that?

It's disappointing to me that this seems to be a huge circlejerk. If that's what it is, fine, and good luck with it. But I personally think Paul would find you people to be assholes.

You're not in marketing any more, are you? I mean, they fired your crazy ass at some point and made you get a real job, right?

Ban this guy, mods. Please.

Last edited:
What is it about "musical" being a very often-used term in the community of musicians, and not being nonsense, that you don't get?

Mahogany is a tonewood. It's called a tonewood because it's musical. That is, it rings in a certain way when it's excited by vibrations. Not all woods do that.

Why do you use the word, "rambling," something derogatory, when you admit you don't understand the lingua franca among musicians? Why do you admit you're wrong, and yet somehow imply that you're right despite that?

You're not in marketing any more, are you?

Lingua franca? Really? You're the douche that gives PRS a bad name. What a childish twat. Wow...what a horrible bunch of insecure cunts (if you're their spokesthing). Are you the leader? If so, byebye. In any case, I'm outta here, what a shamefully insecure display of idiocy.

Last edited:
Lingua franca? Really? You're the douche that gives PRS a bad name. What a childesh twat. Wow...what a horrible bunch of insecure cunts (if you're their spokesthing). Byebye,

Bye. Don't come back.

Last edited:
The last thing I want to do on a beautiful Saturday afternoon is referee a school yard fight between a bunch of (what I assume to be) grown men. Next person who posts inappropriate language or name calling will get a cooling off period. I have no problem with the subject matter, but I'm not going to sit here and edit several posts because some people cannot keep the conversation civil.

End scene

Last edited:
Late to the party, but WOW!

I've never faulted anyone for criticizing PRS (the company or the man), but the complete lack of civility, tact and decorum amazes me! Add to that, the amazing lack of self awareness in one's words is staggering...

It's not what you say, but how you say it that gets your nuts in the vice...

Holy Christ, I didn't expect all this anger. What??

Don't get too full of yourself. Your post hasn't created quite the ripple you want to believe.

You walked into a forum owned by Paul Smith, sh!t on his schtick, and now you have 2 or 3 of the thousands of members here posting a counter-point that happens to be as hostile as yours. 2 or 3 people... Nothing more.

So what do you mean "all this anger"? I'd say things around here are pretty civil; all things considered.

So go on bumping your own thread, repeating the same point over and over while pretending to be surprised. Few are stupid enough to get sucked in to your sky-is-falling drama.

And, for the record, I think you can share whatever opinion you want. I don't think this thread should be edited or deleted. Just stop whining when the street goes both ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back