Can I find internship opportunities with PRS?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
Hey all! I am currently trying to find internship opportunities at PRS and there is some explaining to why.

So, I have had a love for PRS since I visited the factory last August. I met Paul himself at a release event in Annapolis/Edgewater area in Maryland in September for a release of 6 private stocks with a "Chessie fade" finish and he talked with me himself. That was a great experience for being 14 years old. When he was doing a QnA, I asked him a question about whether the company would ever venture into solid state amps or more affordable tube amps (300-600 range excluding the MT15 and Sonzera) and pedals like what Fender was doing at the time. He said that he could see in me that I have a lot of potential and that I have a bright future ahead of me. Since then I wanted to work at PRS. He did sign my hat during a signing thing. When we were talking, he noticed my hat and said I had some good taste, and I was also wearing my graveyard series shirt and put a little cheek on and said not only the hat and he laughed at that!

Paul to me personally is one of my main inspirations and I have seen his TEDX talks and all sorts of videos about his past. Being about a 10 minute drive from his hometown in Bowie, 20 minutes to Ramshead on west street in Annapolis and can see the window of the room where he built his first guitars for Santana and Peter Frampton and others. It's inspiring to see that in just 30 years Paul was able to get the guitar down to a science.

I have already emailed the customer service asking them if they had anything open. I am primarily wanting to become an apprentice under a luthier and learn how to work on guitars and stuff like that. I also recently got a guitar kit that I am building with my dad.

Is there any chance of getting an internship or apprenticeship with PRS?
Thank you!

It is cool that you are looking for an opportunity to learn from experts. I hope you get a chance to spend time with the PRS team specifically, but don’t overlook the other resources in your area. There may be other sources of wisdom and experience nearby who have more flexibility in time and will be able to give you more direct guidance and opportunities.
Don’t give up on getting your foot in the PRS door, but cast a wider net. There may be local luthier groups that you can get involved with. If I understand correctly, you are still a minor. If so, keep your parents in the loop on all your communications with anyone you reach out to.

Take a wood shop class and make a guitar. Besides the learning experience that would be really cool on your resume.
Good luck!

Well as a matter of fact I am building my first ever guitar kit with my dad! It's an LP style kit with a rose wood finger board and all the good stuff. I got upgraded pickups (seymour duncan distortions) and gibson wiring (CTS pots orange drop caps etc) and hipshot open gear locking tuners!

Well that is the good thing about being so close to PRS is that Maryland is crawling with music stores that have on site techs and such. The store where I got my SE from has a tech on site and another store 5 minutes from there has a master luthier on site! I should definitely try and email those guys and see what they could offer!

Good luck on your quest. I'm confident you'll get your shot if you stay after it. As a longtime personnel developer, I can offer this advice: Be consistent and reliable. There is nothing more frustrating than a talented person with low drive towards being personally accountable. Guitar making is a business, and you need everyone to understand and uphold their responsibility to the team to make it flow.

You be "that guy" in everything you do, and they'll be happy to have you.

Well see that's something people see in me. Paul Reed Smith HIMSELF said to ME (I met him at a PRS event last September) that I have a bright future ahead of me and that he see's that I have a passion for guitar. That was just awe inspiring and since then I wanted to work with him!

Rick offers good advice. If you really want this than find away in doing anything. Drive, commitment, and accountability are traits that are sought after and rewarded for. You seem to have the passion and I commend you for pursuing it.

Back