Can I determine pickup type without removing them?

( . )( . )

I scored a 2011 CU22 10 top for a great price. It had all the case candy except the hang tag.

The seller didn’t know what pups are in it, but the person he bought it from said they were stock. I’m guessing that means Dragon 2’s, or was PRS using something else then? I know I could open her up, but I’m lazy. Is there a way to check by the serial number?

Thanks...

I scored a 2011 CU22 10 top for a great price. It had all the case candy except the hang tag.

The seller didn’t know what pups are in it, but the person he bought it from said they were stock. I’m guessing that means Dragon 2’s, or was PRS using something else then? I know I could open her up, but I’m lazy. Is there a way to check by the serial number?

Thanks...

If it's the original case, and someone hasn't pulled it off, there should be a sticker on one end. It's like a bar code, with alpha numeric on it. It's called the Modcat. Do a search here for the Modcat decoder and enter it. The decoder will tell you what the finish, woods, pickups etc are. There's also one in the bridge pick up cavity, but that's pulling the pickups. Otherwise, you could email Customer Service with the serial. They may be able to tell you.

If it's the original case, and someone hasn't pulled it off, there should be a sticker on one end. It's like a bar code, with alpha numeric on it. It's called the Modcat. Do a search here for the Modcat decoder and enter it. The decoder will tell you what the finish, woods, pickups etc are. There's also one in the bridge pick up cavity, but that's pulling the pickups. Otherwise, you could email Customer Service with the serial. They may be able to tell you.

Thanks - very useful:

Model: Custom 22/24
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Ten Top
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern/Thin (Wide/Thin)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Outline Birds (2008+)
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Amber
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: Dragon 2
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: Dragon 2
Electronics: 5-Way Rotary

When I bought this guitar, one of the previous owners had changed the rotary for a 3-way toggle. The old rotary switch was included in the case. I find myself using the single split a lot. I’m fine with the rotary on my old CE-24 with HFS/VB...I use the in betweens a lot (no coil spilt on that guitar). I’m thinking of going back to the rotary on this guitar since I already have it. I guess I just want to know how the Dragon 2’s do with the rotary and a coil split vs the 3 way...any thoughts?

Back