C# standard tuning on a 24.5 scale

Tober72

Just got a prs se fredrik åkesson and plan to use it for our down tune stuff. I usually use the Ernie ball bottom heavy strings .10 to .50 gauge. We are normal tuned to D# standard and they are fine. I don't have the guitar in hand yet, I've played one in E standard. I didn't really notice the scale since I normally play 24.75 scale.

Does any one use a 24.5 scale guitar and down tune to C# standard? Are there any issues

I have my Starla X (24.5 scale) set up for Drop C and run Dunlop Heavy Core 10-48, truthfully they hold up perfect for what I'm doing and the style I'm playing atm (rhythm guitar in the vein of Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, or radio rock in general) but that's the lowest I would go, especially if you're doing any riff-age that needs a tightness to give it clarity. I've tried non-heavy core .10's and the low E would slip constantly, and if I had it tuned up perfect the second I fretted it above 7 the intonation was off past a non-noticeable degree.

All that said to say, yes it works but your standard is a half step below my drop so I'd probably go up to .11's or .10.5's and try it but would definitely aim for heavy core if you're wanting to keep the feel of .10 to .46/.50 and just try them to see what's happening for you. Or if you want to keep the .10's feel, but willing to go up a bit on the low side, go for Skinny Top Heavy Bottom set, it'll push you up to .52 on the low E and keep the .10 on the top E and that maybe just enough to keep you tight seeing how the bottom end was where I experienced the issue.

I have a Santana set up in drop C with skinny top heavy bottom and its fine. I blocked the trem and did a full set up (neck, bridge, etc) on it. I keep it in drop c mostly. Occasionally some other low tuning stuff. Don't really have any issues with it.

I have to ask this, because it's been this really stupid phenomenon the past few years where people are referring to (b) flat tuning's as sharp for some dumb reason.
If you are only tuning the guitar down a half step you are in E flat, or Eb, not C# standard...
If you are tuning down your guitar a half step and your low E an additional full step it is Drop D down a half step, not Drop C#

I use to use all sorts of crazy tunings, standard C (that's two full steps down), Drop B (that's That's E flat down two and a half steps for stuff from Sevendust, Chevelle, Red, and Alter Bridge), standard A, and never had problems. However I have always used heavy gauge strings (12's), so that may be a part of it.
I can't speak of an SE because I only own US models that have the Phase 2 tuners, but I keep both of my hollowbody's in Drop C (standard D with the E string tuned down a full step) and they never go out of tune. The CU24 I have tuned down to Drop B for Chevelle stuff and it stays in perfectly. They are all set up with 11 gauge strings.
Here are some video examples of them sounding just fine, no muddiness, no string floppage

Last edited by a moderator:
Back