Byo Kits. Let see what you guys have accomplished!!!

wardog

What the gravy and cheese!!!!
SO, I have been thinking about doing an amp kit for some time know and feel a 40/50 watt kit is what I would like to added to my current amp setup. I figure a few of my fellow members must have done some BYO kit and I would love to see what you folks have completed. Also, kit reviews are a plus.

I did a clean boost pedal once. This is the only photo I seem to have of it. It was fun, but it turned out sounding kinda distorted and just not very usable. It's an LPB-1 clone. I added a LED to the circuit. Not sure is this qualifies as a kit? I bought all the parts individually.

FinishedBoost.jpg

However, an amp kit sounds like a really good time if I ever find myself unemployed or suddenly with lots of unexpected free time. I would also very much like to attend one of Bruce Egnater's amp building classes, but that would be a big investment with flights, hotels, rental car, etc.

Nice pedal and yes that qualifies as a kit. I would love to attend a guitar building or repair clinic but a couple of hours a day is all I have. Thus the amp kit gas returns.

I built the Green Ringer clone from General Guitar Gadgets. It was a fun and easy little project. Great pedal for getting the octave-up fuzz effect when you pair it with any OD pedal.

Next up, I plan on doing my own buffer box.

One of these days I'd like to build one of the simple 1 or 5 watt amps. I find the bigger kits daunting since they seem to require a fair amount of expertise (and patience I probably don't have).

I built the Mod 102 guitar amp kit just to see if I could really. I was kicking around the idea of building something more expensive and figured I better screw up something cheap first. It's a 5 watt amp and it wasn't real tough to build. It's a blast to play through. I'm neither an electrician or a wood worker but it turned out just fine. I used old crate wood from the dumpster at work and a 10" Jensen 8 ohm, 35watt speaker for cabinet.

5watt.jpg

I built the Mod 102 guitar amp kit just to see if I could really. I was kicking around the idea of building something more expensive and figured I better screw up something cheap first. It's a 5 watt amp and it wasn't real tough to build. It's a blast to play through. I'm neither an electrician or a wood worker but it turned out just fine. I used old crate wood from the dumpster at work and a 10" Jensen 8 ohm, 35watt speaker for cabinet.

5watt.jpg
sweet. I too was thinking o going that route. I feel super adventurous at the moment and think why not go after a 40w kit.

I built the Green Ringer clone from General Guitar Gadgets. It was a fun and easy little project. Great pedal for getting the octave-up fuzz effect when you pair it with any OD pedal.

Next up, I plan on doing my own buffer box.

One of these days I'd like to build one of the simple 1 or 5 watt amps. I find the bigger kits daunting since they seem to require a fair amount of expertise (and patience I probably don't have).

Where is that pic. Would love to see how it looks.

I built this '57 Tweed Deluxe kit. It was a mojotone kit with a few upgrades. I put a Weber Alnico speaker and eventually the Mission amps upgrades to make it more of a brownface-ish preamp. That gave it a little more clean headroom, but still a little dirtier than a Blackface Deluxe. The original kit was solid, no complaints on the components or the instructions.

I contacted mojotone and they suggested the tweed or blackface amp for me. I have a eminence red white and blues speaker ready to go, just trying to see whose kit i want to get. Tubedepot has a 40w designed for a single 1x12 speaker, that maybe the winner.

5watt.jpg

Very cool! I've eyed that kit many times.

The board is tiny, at about 1"x2". I may re-box it into something smaller some day.

I bought a green box and a green LED for it. It's very easy to see on my board!

very nice build. I think i will get the tube depot jmt45. it is a marshall clone and they will be having a sale in a few weeks per my call with them today. Need to get my head right on which project to do in time for the sale.

I built a Mojotone 5f2 kit. It was actually pretty fun and not that hard. I had a few stumbling blocks along the way and had to re-wire one of the tubes because I soldered 6 to 9 and 9 to 6 on accident but other than that, it went fairly smooth.

Not the cleanest gut shot you'll ever see but I don't think it's too bad for a first try.
Amp_final_resize_zpsgm6w3cmy.jpg

The cab they provide is very nice.
amp_final3_resize_zpsmmgqzruk.jpg

very nice build Spike. How did you like the amp ( tone, controls, sound)

It's not quite what I expected but I never played through a tweed style amp before. The tone is very trebely. If I take the tone control all the way out it sounds OK but still doesn't have any bass response. Most likely part of the problem is the small 8" speaker. It does nail that early 60's tone when pushed though. And the volume goes to 12, which is pretty cool :)

Ive made a couple of Kits from this site http://www.sabrotone.com/ good kits and lots of interesting info

The Compressor and tremolo on this board were both made from designs featured on the site, and they're all free! (swearing and burnt fingers are complimentary)

Back