Bye bye satin...

Glide-bpm

We were small but we were slow...
Whelp... She's got a little more life to her on top after sanding, buffing and polishing her to a nice semigloss!!!

vC12HsT.jpeg

76mLIc1.jpeg

42edxyq.jpeg

Looks beautiful. I used to be “high gloss or bust” for highly figured tops, but have come to love satin/semigloss for them. Now I just need to get a guitar with that kind of finish!

What was your process? Was this a full refinish or just knocking down the gloss on the original finish?

Looks beautiful. I used to be “high gloss or bust” for highly figured tops, but have come to love satin/semigloss for them. Now I just need to get a guitar with that kind of finish!

What was your process? Was this a full refinish or just knocking down the gloss on the original finish?
It was "dull-azz-fv©£" PRS satin finish from the factory. LoL!

I used these products in stages and got her all buffed up. I am attaching pics that are from the all morning shining I performed again this morning. I will have yesterday's results alternating with today's below after the first pic showing the products. Also, plenty of baby soft fluffy microfiber towels and cloths.

eJ1E41f.jpeg

You need to zoom the pics below to see what the 2nd morning of buffing/polishing did for her versus the first round yesterday.

Yesterday (from all the pics I took after a full cycle of polishing)
76mLIc1.jpeg

Today about the same angle
lme7aVC.jpeg

Yesterday
vC12HsT.jpeg

Today
t2k6N02.jpeg

Looks killer!

I have to commend you for having the guts to do it; I'm not sure I'd have been able to risk it.
A little reading, the right products, and a not overly aggressive hand stroke (particularly the one time and the first phase that I only did once during yesterday's first round with 8000 and then 12000 grit of that fancy wash and re-use high dollar sanding cloth I forget the name of) and it's a piece of cake. You don't have to do the ultra low grit mega gentle sanding, but it seems to work for me. Love that cloth back washable sanding paper/cloth!

Back